Sponsored

Best way to jack the rear to rotate tires?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
they are. and the hole drilled for the bolt is 2mm oversize.
As long as the inner sleeves are textured with little nubs on the end faces (and the fasteners are properly torqued), bolt to hole clearances are irrelevant. The bolts do not act in shear; all they do is provide enough clamping load for the nubs on the sleeves to force a little distortion in the brackets (which is really where the resistance to any sliding comes from and where any jack-imposed loading would be carried).

Norm
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
As long as the inner sleeves are textured with little nubs on the end faces
they don't. they are smooth. With the bolt torque, no they aren't going to move with your finger. They won't move with a static 1800lbs on them either. Jacking by the pumpkin will twist the pumpkin in it's voided rubber bushings. This has effects on the axles and drive shaft and side-loading on the bolts.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
they don't. they are smooth.
Neither end?

As long as the sleeve isn't bending or being pried away from the diff housing ear anywhere around its circumference, the bolt shouldn't be loaded enough in shear/bending by the applied jack loading to matter. It's the bushings themselves that I'd be more concerned with. Any tearing would ultimately be reflected in shaft angularity.

Norm

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I can’t hear anything over all this diff jacking I’m doing over here.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd be more worried about tearing the rubber bushings when lifting from the diff than shearing the bolts too, but neither one would be good, so why do it? Unless the manual specifically recommends that, I wouldn't do it. Of all my RWD cars, manual allowed that with only one, and don't remember which. I also miss not having a front central location, but it's also rare. That's why 'portable' lifts are so popular nowadays, in the age of unibody designs.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
You can use the diff to jack the car. I've been doing it on my fx35 for 6+ years and did it for the same time on my previous g37 and now do it on the mustang. I've never had an issue / leak or anything except for a quick and easy way to jack the ass end of the car up. All have IRS and would be subject to the same issues people talk about happening yet don't.

Others will disagree here for sure but it's not going to hurt anything. Your not gonna tear any bushings or break any bolts. If you do take pictures as proof because I've yet to see it except heresy.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
All have IRS and would be subject to the same issues people talk about happening yet don't.
Nissan engineers and suppliers know the difference between 7/16" and 9/16" drill bits. Ford doesn't.

The guy who jumps off a 30 story building says "all good, no problems!" with a big thumbs up for 29 floors.

Nobody is asserting that doing so is a guaranteed failure every time. Hell, it might be fine for 9 out of 10 times. For some reason the lawyers at Ford didn't allow the tech writers to put it down as an approved method of jacking up hte car. I would guess it wasn't out of spite or in direct contravention against what the engineers said.

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
Jacking rails, 4 jackstands and a jack make simple work to get all 4 corners up. I actually place a jack on each rail along with the stands if I'm getting under the car. I can get all four off the ground in 5 minutes, including setting up.

tempImageA7HHS7.png

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
This ^^^^
Sponsored