Sponsored

Best comfort shocks / struts for '17 ecoboost with performance package lowered on Vogtland Sport +

Dadsreward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Looking for reccomendations for replacement shocks/struts. Primary reason for upgrade is RIDE COMFORT. I live in central FL where roads are flat and straight. I willing to give up a bit of handling to improve ride comfort. The car is not horrible for comfort, but I'm sure it could be improved. Car has less than 6k miles, and as mentioned in title has the performance package, and Vogtland 953130 springs (1.3"/1.3").
mustang 1 (1280x887).jpg

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable ProActions or Konis would be a good bet, though brace yourself that a perfectly smooth ride will be tough with such an aggressive drop.

What are the spring rates for your springs?

(EDIT) Found the rates. At 222lb/in front and 856lb/in rear (max), for sure go with one of the above adjustable options I listed. The Steedas are known to be a bit more tame on compression.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What’s your budget? Adjustable shocks are your best bet, but really there is no way to win with heavy wheels, short sidewalls, and such a low ride height.

Sounds like you need more control (stiffer shocks and ideally stiffer springs), and/or a raised ride height.

Nobody is impressed by another lowered mustang anyway, lets be honest, its been done to death. If you want a better ride, raise it back up.

OP
OP
Dadsreward

Dadsreward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
What’s your budget? Adjustable shocks are your best bet, but really there is no way to win with heavy wheels, short sidewalls, and such a low ride height.

Sounds like you need more control (stiffer shocks and ideally stiffer springs), and/or a raised ride height.

Nobody is impressed by another lowered mustang anyway, lets be honest, its been done to death. If you want a better ride, raise it back up.
:facepalm: :headbang: :yawn:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, I think the best "comfort" is stock, meaning stock springs and stock dampers. The reduced suspension travel is your enemy.
I'm sure you could try some other dampers which will handle the spring rates better, but the chances of it improving your comfort enough to justify the price - I'd say that's a small chance.

The real solution is to go back to stock I think. Nice looking car, BTW.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dadsreward

Dadsreward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Yeah, I think the best "comfort" is stock, meaning stock springs and stock dampers. The reduced suspension travel is your enemy.
I'm sure you could try some other dampers which will handle the spring rates better, but the chances of it improving your comfort enough to justify the price - I'd say that's a small chance.

The real solution is to go back to stock I think. Nice looking car, BTW.
Thank you for the meaningful input! That's the real question to me, is can I get enough improvement to justify the cost. The car is completely livable, and I'm ok with it the way it is, small price to pay for the much improved look and stance. Just looking at what my next upgrade might be with some available funds. The occasional times that I have a "non car person" passenger makes me a bit self conscious about the stiff ride.
Thanks again.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thank you for the meaningful input! That's the real question to me, is can I get enough improvement to justify the cost. The car is completely livable, and I'm ok with it the way it is, small price to pay for the much improved look and stance. Just looking at what my next upgrade might be with some available funds. The occasional times that I have a "non car person" passenger makes me a bit self conscious about the stiff ride.
Thanks again.
No problem, dude. That is the real question. One option that may work, is try some springs with a smaller drop and dampers to suit. A minimum drop like BMR and Steeda have along with appropriate dampers would probably improve it quite a bit. A 0.5" drop is much better than over an inch on all 4 corners. 1.3" is kinda low, not slammed, but low enough that the reduced travel give you a problem.

Is it something that will continue to bother you? Is handling still important to you? Do you not want to lose the look you have with the Vogtlands? Those are questions I'd ask myself if it's me.

I would rank your priorities in order of importance. Ride comfort, handling, looks/subjective qualities.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No problem, dude. That is the real question. One option that may work, is try some springs with a smaller drop and dampers to suit. A minimum drop like BMR and Steeda have along with appropriate dampers would probably improve it quite a bit. A 0.5" drop is much better than over an inch on all 4 corners. 1.3" is kinda low, not slammed, but low enough that the reduced travel give you a problem.

Is it something that will continue to bother you? Is handling still important to you? Do you not want to lose the look you have with the Vogtlands? Those are questions I'd ask myself if it's me.

I would rank your priorities in order of importance. Ride comfort, handling, looks/subjective qualities.
Yeah, that was my point. Its easy to say you should try some different shocks, but the fact is I'm not convinced that there are any shocks on the market which will solve for a spring drop that low, and I wouldn't want you to throw good money at shocks and still not be happy with the ride.

There are some known good combinations of lowering springs and shocks and we can help steer you to good working combos, but IDK about solving for your current issues.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, that was my point. Its easy to say you should try some different shocks, but the fact is I'm not convinced that there are any shocks on the market which will solve for a spring drop that low, and I wouldn't want you to throw good money at shocks and still not be happy with the ride.

There are some known good combinations of lowering springs and shocks and we can help steer you to good working combos, but IDK about solving for your current issues.
Totally agree Nightmare.
Sponsored