Sponsored

Best budget upgrade for Premium (non-shaker) system

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I'm assuming the same rear's that are in the "premium" system are the in the base system as well? Hoping to get at-least my audio done by Mustang Week.
I think so, but not totally sure. I believe the Shaker Pro 12 speaker system was the only system that came with coaxials for the 6.5 inch rear deck speakers.
Sponsored

JDAlphin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost and 1999 GT
Hmm...guess I just need to start tearing into this car and find out. :D

B.Crowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 Mustang GT Prem. M/T
I put in a Rockford Fosgate P300-10 self powered sub. Cost $165. Swapped out the rear deck speakers with JBL GTO 628s Cost $75. System sounds good.
Do the sub first, see how you like the sound and then swap out speakers. The sub is the big difference.
Agree. I went the same route with a JBL GT-BassPro12 sub instead of the RF sub. The JBL sub is also powered, costs around the same as the RF, has a built in LOC and auto on, but has a fairly big footprint relative to the Mustang's trunk. Compared to those same JBL rear deck speakers I also installed, the upgrade in sound from the sub was huge. If I had to do it again, I probably skip the rear deck speakers. I'm definitely not an audiophile, so YMMV.

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Thank you sandpaper. Iactually had a amplified 10inch bazooka installed. You are right what a difference. I will replace the rears next weekend,

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Thank you sandpaper. Iactually had a amplified 10inch bazooka installed. You are right what a difference. I will replace the rears next weekend,
Uhhhhhhhhh, that's sandpiper lol and you are welcome

Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Wow, shocking information. I visited a stereo shop this weekend to discuss options. This guy is supposedly top 12 installer in the country. Several trophies. Spoke about what I want. System reached 5k really fast. However, not one time did it include doing anything at all to the rear speakers. He kept saying they are for fill. Front sound stage is what is important. Of course found the parts cheaper but it consisted of a 1299.00 set of focal 3 way components for the front, a jl 5 channel amp, a focal 13" sub, and a sound processor. Of course custom box etc. I was set on rears, but even the guy I worked with first in the shop said he would leave them alone.... Very odd to me...

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Wow, shocking information. I visited a stereo shop this weekend to discuss options. This guy is supposedly top 12 installer in the country. Several trophies. Spoke about what I want. System reached 5k really fast. However, not one time did it include doing anything at all to the rear speakers. He kept saying they are for fill. Front sound stage is what is important. Of course found the parts cheaper but it consisted of a 1299.00 set of focal 3 way components for the front, a jl 5 channel amp, a focal 13" sub, and a sound processor. Of course custom box etc. I was set on rears, but even the guy I worked with first in the shop said he would leave them alone.... Very odd to me...
Everybody has different listening habits... some love rear fill, some hate it. Try messing with your fader and see how important it is to you, then decide if you want to upgrade the rears or not.

The installer is obviously coming at the install from a stereo competition point of view where rear fill is kept to an absolute minimum...

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Yes, I agree with what you are saying. Since I am getting a 5 channnel amp, at least that option will remain open. I will see how it sounds, and then add later if I feel necessary. I honestly have never heard of not replacing and amplifying the rears. I was an installed for lie 3 years at a high end shop too! well, 25 years ago! So much has changed.......

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I started with JBL 6.5's and a 12" JL Audio Sub/Amp setup and wasn't at all impressed with the difference the rear speakers made on the listening. The sub made the big difference, as mentioned before. I went with a 2 way Front Component setup (Base PP) and that completely transformed the listening experience.

P.S. Everything through a 5 channel amp

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I did Cerwin components front and rear pushed by two alpine power packs.

Sponsored

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I have the 9 speaker system. Ford called it a premium system, but it wasnt. No low end at all.
I had to install a sub for my Prem 9 speaker system too. I did not find my 9-speaker system to be all that bad. It actually has decent bass for four 6.5" woofers. Maybe they changed the speakers in the 2016....

anyway, the Punch p300-12 did the trick on the system. I am happy with the setup now. Could use some more hi's, but not that concerned.

The p-300-12 has more than enough bass for me. I did learn that i had to split the RCA to get more sound out of it (meaning I used just one RCA from the LOC, then split it to the two RCA connectors on he sub.) it is much louder that way. Not sure what ohm that makes it, but it worked. I have it turned down half way and I am good. I am not trying to rattle shit apart, just looking for better sound. For $200, the P300-12 is a great deal.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I had to install a sub for my Prem 9 speaker system too. I did not find my 9-speaker system to be all that bad. It actually has decent bass for four 6.5" woofers. Maybe they changed the speakers in the 2016....

anyway, the Punch p300-12 did the trick on the system. I am happy with the setup now. Could use some more hi's, but not that concerned.

The p-300-12 has more than enough bass for me. I did learn that i had to split the RCA to get more sound out of it (meaning I used just one RCA from the LOC, then split it to the two RCA connectors on he sub.) it is much louder that way. Not sure what ohm that makes it, but it worked. I have it turned down half way and I am good. I am not trying to rattle shit apart, just looking for better sound. For $200, the P300-12 is a great deal.
what LOC did you use?

np2016ppgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
How did you guys tap into the rear speakers for the LOC? I would like to use the silver connections on the speakers and not cut any wires...I'm not sure what is positive and negative on the speakers though.

Thanks.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Crutchfield sells adapter rings and wire kit. I changed the rear deck speakers, added a DSP and a Zapco 200w amp and it made a huge difference in sound.
DXlShka_b_ul99J-PZnwfghMO0NYuqvLDK3Y9LKwVcQybf68489xIRcM8JDnaf1ZdFn3r2upRuC57FUZ7=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
5QPBnP74UFvgEDhJ5Pkxv-_SNXresaFdcTE8IguflyZNLSd9fmI2zJyO_bNWmfRYbpFfqOe7WmvprR0Z5=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
G1KkGLjTOYGa2bGkf5dECtxo-rMo-POnIBUgqltj8-5_LfW4_e43jADTBzNW3xvayz8hNVMnRiwJ00L14=w1767-h1064-no.jpg

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Crutchfield sells adapter rings and wire kit. I changed the rear deck speakers, added a DSP and a Zapco 200w amp and it made a huge difference in sound.
DXlShka_b_ul99J-PZnwfghMO0NYuqvLDK3Y9LKwVcQybf68489xIRcM8JDnaf1ZdFn3r2upRuC57FUZ7=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
5QPBnP74UFvgEDhJ5Pkxv-_SNXresaFdcTE8IguflyZNLSd9fmI2zJyO_bNWmfRYbpFfqOe7WmvprR0Z5=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
G1KkGLjTOYGa2bGkf5dECtxo-rMo-POnIBUgqltj8-5_LfW4_e43jADTBzNW3xvayz8hNVMnRiwJ00L14=w1767-h1064-no.jpg

Very clean install, what is that board made of? Acrylic?
Sponsored