redzx2texas

"Medusa"
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB 6r80 coyote 5.0, FBO
Hey guys, im looking at getting some bbk shorty headers. From my understanding, reading online, Ceramic will be cooler on the engine bay, and chrome will discolor. If this is the case, will the chrome hurt my cars performance with the extra heat (how bad is the extra heat), im not concerned with discoloration. i just want the most hp and best runability i can out of the car for the best price, haha. Please chime in with your thoughts. if there is a thread on this, point me in the right direction and ill delete this one.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Hey guys, im looking at getting some bbk shorty headers. From my understanding, reading online, Ceramic will be cooler on the engine bay, and chrome will discolor. If this is the case, will the chrome hurt my cars performance with the extra heat (how bad is the extra heat), im not concerned with discoloration. i just want the most hp and best runability i can out of the car for the best price, haha. Please chime in with your thoughts. if there is a thread on this, point me in the right direction and ill delete this one.
Chrome shouldn't increase under hood temps to the point where it will start hurting performance. If you have a good CAI that is sealed from the engine bay then you will be fine with chrome. Saves you $100.

OP
OP
redzx2texas

redzx2texas

"Medusa"
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB 6r80 coyote 5.0, FBO
awsome, i the jlt cai so i will save the 100. thanks man.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
im running chrome, I didn't see any change in IAT's. the stock manifolds probably put out almost as much heat :p

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
mine have been on for a few months, and still look great. 1 word of advice though, before you start the car for the first time....clean them reaaal good. if theres any fingerprints, or oil residue, its going to leave some ugly looking stains once they get hot

Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
I've read that in general chrome headers will rust after a few years whereas the ceramic coating will hold up over time. I wouldn't want to rip them out and replace them after a few seasons.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I've read that in general chrome headers will rust after a few years whereas the ceramic coating will hold up over time. I wouldn't want to rip them out and replace them after a few seasons.
Really? Because this is what ceramic headers look like after 20k miles and 1 year.... Haha I really don't think the coating matters. Just if you wish them to not discolor then get the ceramic.

(Only surface rust on the coating itself, possibly from other components splashing residue onto the headers)
1462827760.IMG_0187.jpg