Battery Question

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Have a 2020 Ecoboost Premium assembled 12/16/2019 and sat on lot till I bought it 1/1/2021. A week ago drove it on Saturday and went to drive it 2 days later on Monday. Battery completely dead, doors would not open, fob did nothing. Opened door with key from fob, ford road service came and jumped battery. This week for a few days remote start would not work. Started normally yesterday, a/c set for 68 but today when I started to take it to dealer a/c temp showed lo, with that and remote start I read on forum could be battery. Dealer took out battery and put in on machine to test, battery according to tech came out perfect, also got oil change since oil in engine 14 months, not sure about tech, never took off battery cover clips and pulled cover just over them and said when I checked said one was not there, I checked before bringing in all 3 there, advisor got a replacent clip, also never reset the oil change gauge. Just curious why battery went completely dead 2 days after a drive, advisor said no codes showed. I did not leave any accessories or lights on.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Just read thru your initial post. Afraid the post is hard to follow. So the car was new and you are the first owner? You took it to a Ford dealer and all they did was to test the battery? The battery tested out good and is still in the car? I am curious if the dealer tested the alternator out put.
Can we figure the car has been in use since that first failure to start and is starting now in a normal manner.

In general I would be suspicious of the battery in a car which has sat for a long time, except you live in Florida. My suspicion in places where it gets cold during the winter would be a battery which had gone flat during freezing weather. A battery with a low charge which freezes can be damaged. However your battery tested good. I do not have a clue but will follow this thread to see if any thing useful comes up.

Good luck

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hello; Just read thru your initial post. Afraid the post is hard to follow. So the car was new and you are the first owner? You took it to a Ford dealer and all they did was to test the battery? The battery tested out good and is still in the car? I am curious if the dealer tested the alternator out put.
Can we figure the car has been in use since that first failure to start and is starting now in a normal manner.

In general I would be suspicious of the battery in a car which has sat for a long time, except you live in Florida. My suspicion in places where it gets cold during the winter would be a battery which had gone flat during freezing weather. A battery with a low charge which freezes can be damaged. However your battery tested good. I do not have a clue but will follow this thread to see if any thing useful comes up.

Good luck
I am the first owner, had 20 miles on it. I do not believe they tested the alternator, they said no codes showed except the rear camera replaced by original dealer due to a recall on it. But sometimes the remote start would not work from fob, sometimes passenger door would not unlock outside wth door handle. Car got a good charge driving home when new as dealer is about 90 miles highway but first time sitting after 6 days ford pass said in hibernation then drove it no problem drove it 2 times then 9 days after first hibernation did it again. When battery went dead after 2 dayscafter a nice drive it was completely dead, no interior lights etc, road service said it was completely dead, boosted it and it started but gotta be something used it other day set a/c to 68 and today started it and a/c showed lo (max), seems some kind of battery glitch advisor even said so but Ford will not replace till machine states ng.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries from Ford are garbage. do yourself a favor, chuck it and buy a good one. I dont know why, mine lasted a year from brand new bought a new one an never looked back.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My stock battery lasted less than two years, somewhere around 19 months.
Batteries should be fully charged with the surface charge removed before it's tested.
Your description of what is going on would lead me to believe that your battery is failing.
My suggestion to you is to charge the battery then drive to any good auto parts store and have them test it. Most will give you a print out with what the battery should be and its current condition.
Or try another dealer, one willing to check the entire charging system.
Or buy a battery tester for yourself. They're not that expensive, I got mine off Amazon and it's been pretty accurate so far.
Whatever you do I'm willing to bet you need a new battery sooner rather than later.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The issue is how long the car sat at the dealer before it was sold. Mine sat for several months, and the battery was toast. Dealer said it was fine, of course. Since I didn't want another crappy battery, I just bit the 'bullitt' and bought an AGM replacement (96R) at Advanced Auto. Having said that, at least my fully loaded V8 has a lot of parasitic losses, so I have to leave it connected to a charger when not in use (sometimes it's weeks, especially in winter), to avoid ruining the new battery. As far as checking the alternator, that's quite easy, since our cars have a digital voltage gauge; you can check it yourself. And put a multi-meter on the battery terminals if you don't have a gauge. It'd be extremely rare that you have an alternator issue, but it's always possible. Good luck.
Sponsored