Battery dead?

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
A few weeks ago my car purchased new in jan, the last 2 or 3 times, the battery would hesitate and then start

Another 2 weeks i didnt drive the car and it didnt start, typical battery low symptons

I could only laugh, but car in garage and a bit dark and hard to access, i used a portable batt charger that ive had for a few yeads
1st attempt: didnt have the power leas plugged into the wall; 24 hr charge (the light on charger was on so.i assumed it was plugged in)

2nd attempt;24 hours, realised that there is a piece of plastic on the aide of terminal, and i had clamped that

3rd attempt: ensured it was plugged in clamp was on metal. The moment of clamping the headlights flicker and i hear a few clicks, good news

2 days later. Battery is completely dead

Surely my battery doesnt need replacing
What am i doing wrong??
Sponsored

HAVOC_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yeah, your battery is dead unless you have it on a tender all the time which is doesn't sound like.

Batteries dont hold up anymore. Your car is 2 years old with 500 miles. The good thing is, it should still be under Manufacturers Warranty. So you have two options.

Call Ford, have it towed to the dealer OR have it properly jumped with a big jump pack, and drive it straight to the dealer.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
It’s possible that the battery is bad, no?

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
We bought our '19 Bullitt, built in Jan of '19, near end of April 2020. Car sat on dealership lot well over a yr, as they wanted $78k for it.

We hit um between the eyes, & although they tried everything to wiggle out of our offer, covid in full swing got um to really drop there pants. Anyway, I told them I wanted a new battery, & they said they couldn't unless it tested bad. I said, it will be bad if its has sat for ~15 months. Turned outvl it was, & they replaced it before shipping the car to our state.

So yeah, they go bad quick when not in use.
Our GT500 kills the battery if I dont keep it on tender as well. That car flips more stuff on & off while sitting than I ever imagined.

My local battery shop manager ⁰guru says that all but maybe 1 lead mine is now closed in the USA.
He says all lead acid batteries are made with recycled lead nowdays, which does not help with battery life. Due to contamination from the materials being recycled large #'s of times, he says it diminishes new battery life overall, & only tenders can combat the issue.

He also said the current recycled material really diminished the quality & life of Optima brand AGM style battery's, he sells nowadays. We used to buy Optima batterys for nearly all our muscle cars, 4wds, equip/tractor/forklift, & street rods. That brand also no longer lasts long enough for us to justify the cost vs a typical Motorcraft lead acid on a tender. Or anything dold locally. All rather poor quality. Both our lawn mowers needs 1 about every ~3 / 4yrs as well it seems.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
Thanks everyone
Had to get the mobile mechanic in

Got tols the batteey was just very very dead and my charger wasnt equipped to charge a "that"dead one......

Didnt know that. I thought every portable charger if you charged it for long enough would sort it out...just like household eneloop charger
Sponsored