Sponsored

Battery Dead Twice in Three Days

DraXxus1549

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went to start my car on Monday morning and was unable to because the battery was dead. I didn't think anything of it, it's been cold and I haven't been driving it much because the weather is still pretty crappy here in New England.

When I got home from work on Monday night I jump started it and then took it for a good 30-40 minute drive to let the battery charge some more. I went to start it again this morning and the battery was again dead. I would have thought that the 30+ minute drive would have charged the battery enough.

Should I look into a new battery or something? or do I just need to charge it longer?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Fpsrubyred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 base gt ruby red
Had the same issue in nc drove it one morning was fine that afternoon was dead. Jumped it drove it a long while parked it next day dead again. Took it to the dealer and they tested the battery it was determined it had a faulty cell and they replaced under warranty for free..

Hope this helps

OP
OP

DraXxus1549

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Had the same issue in nc drove it one morning was fine that afternoon was dead. Jumped it drove it a long while parked it next day dead again. Took it to the dealer and they tested the battery it was determined it had a faulty cell and they replaced under warranty for free..

Hope this helps
I emailed the dealership this morning, but haven't heard anything back. I'll give them a call now. Thanks!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Unfortunately I see this happening more with consolidation in the battery industry. Johnson Controls, who typically makes Motorcraft batteries, makes so many of today's car batteries under numerous brands not even listed on their own website it'll surprise you. And largely they have taken US-based manufacturing of that and moved it out of country. Optima, for example. I only started hearing of these kinds of "early death" things so commonly when they - and their counterparts - stared doing that. They say it's because of environmental regulation. We all know it's really due to labor cost and padding profits. Such is life.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I had a couple of dead battery episodes also. I have started to check on the water levels more often. I have never had a flooded battery before that seems to evaporate so much more water out of two cells than the others. My other flooded batteries tend to evaporate equally.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
My battery was bad after 10 months. Dealer replaced under warranty. Sure hope they checked the alternator.

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
I had my 2015 stuck in the back garage with an idiot at Ford saying it would have to be towed for warranty to replace the battery despite the battery being in the back of my truck.

Found the gal that sold me my car, she remembered I went through school and am fqmily friends with the owner, and she agreed that haing an 8k pound truck wench my car out onto a flatbed was more potential trouble than it is worth.

She got me warrantied for the replacement, which evidently has been pretty common with our cars.

My car sat for only 3-4 weeks during the rain and it ran that pile of crap battery down to 2.6 volts.

Car was 1.5 years old with 5k miles.

Battery industry these days DOES suck. Optima is a good example. Used to be great batteries that lasted me 7-8 years each back in the 90s. Now they are dead in 3 same as all the other shit.

Only thing worth a damn is some AGMs but good luck finding one that is suited to our cars.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
2015 Explorer had a dead battery recently after 2 years. I think it's just the motorcraft batteries.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If the car is not driven for more than a week I usually throw it on a battery tender.
My Toyota has a Panasonic battery, still going strong after 4 years.
Sponsored