Base Speaker Upgrade

Kanubul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1966 Mustang
I am upgrading my head unit in my base model GT, and was curious about the speakers. I have the 6 speaker system and have seen a few posts about speakers and problem fitment. Any suggestions on a good speaker with good fitment to replace the (I think 6.5's in door and rear under window). If I replace those, do I have to replace the tweeter in the A Pillar or can I leave that one and just replace the others?

I am installing the Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX head unit. My car has no Amp, I plan to add an Amp at a later time when I can afford it, for now it will just be the power from that unit.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Actually, if you want to just improve the sound... replace the tweeters. The speakers in the doors are not all that terrible if you aren't too picky or demanding.

The Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX head unit doesn't have speaker outputs so you will in fact need an amplifier to make it all work. You can't connect speakers to that unit.
Maybe you want the DMH-C2550NEX ? That has 4 channels at 22W. Fitment into the dash might be an issue though. You will need to check.

Last edited:

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Base, M/T
I upgraded all 6 speakers to Rockford Fosgates and the sound is worlds better than stock. The stock speakers are so cheap and lightweight when I took them out. Here's my parts list:
  • Rockford Fosgate P1650 6.5" 2-Way Full Range Car Audio Coaxial Speakers (rear deck speakers)
  • Rockford Fosgate P165-SI 6.5" 120W 2-Way (Separate tweeters and mid speakers kit)
  • ROCKFORD FOSGATE P3D2-12 12" 1200 Watt 2-Ohm DVC Car Audio Subwoofer Sub
  • Rockford Fosgate P500X1BD 500W Car Mono BD Audio Amplifier
  • Zenclosures Type 2, Rear Fire, Single Sub
I didn't add an amp for the speakers and the volume is plenty loud. I never turn it above 15 or 16. I can't offer any advice on the head unit. I kept my 4" stock one for awhile and then did the Sync 3.4 upgrade.

OP
OP

Kanubul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I upgraded all 6 speakers to Rockford Fosgates and the sound is worlds better than stock. The stock speakers are so cheap and lightweight when I took them out. Here's my parts list:
  • Rockford Fosgate P1650 6.5" 2-Way Full Range Car Audio Coaxial Speakers (rear deck speakers)
  • Rockford Fosgate P165-SI 6.5" 120W 2-Way (Separate tweeters and mid speakers kit)
  • ROCKFORD FOSGATE P3D2-12 12" 1200 Watt 2-Ohm DVC Car Audio Subwoofer Sub
  • Rockford Fosgate P500X1BD 500W Car Mono BD Audio Amplifier
  • Zenclosures Type 2, Rear Fire, Single Sub
I didn't add an amp for the speakers and the volume is plenty loud. I never turn it above 15 or 16. I can't offer any advice on the head unit. I kept my 4" stock one for awhile and then did the Sync 3.4 upgrade.
This helps a lot. were the tweeters plug and play or did you have to modify to get it to fit?

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Base, M/T
This helps a lot. were the tweeters plug and play or did you have to modify to get it to fit?
The tweeters were the worst part. Taking the a pillars off is tough. The tweeters came with their own wires what ch had to be connected to the crossover built into the door speaker. I didn't want to drill a hole in the door so i do have a wire showing when you open the door. There is a precut wiring hole to the door, but I couldn't get the weather coating tube around off on my car. My wire runs from the tweeter, through the dash, then under the door trim.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kanubul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The tweeters were the worst part. Taking the a pillars off is tough. The tweeters came with their own wires what ch had to be connected to the crossover built into the door speaker. I didn't want to drill a hole in the door so i do have a wire showing when you open the door. There is a precut wiring hole to the door, but I couldn't get the weather coating tube around off on my car. My wire runs from the tweeter, through the dash, then under the door trim.
Great thank you, one last question, did your car come with an amp in it? I noticed that the RMS on the head unit i have picked is a little low so wondering if it will be enough to power those speakers. They look like a good value and balance between cost and performance.

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Base, M/T
Great thank you, one last question, did your car come with an amp in it? I noticed that the RMS on the head unit i have picked is a little low so wondering if it will be enough to power those speakers. They look like a good value and balance between cost and performance.
My speakers get plenty loud from the stock head unit. Both the original 4" one and the Sync 3 I upgraded to. 15 is usually the max I'll turn the volume up to.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 4" unit and almost never exceed Level 12. If you buy thru crutchfield they provide various wiring adapters.

Where did you set the front/back/left/right balance @BetOnBlack ? With real speakers in the back I'm guessing it sounds so much better.

OP
OP

Kanubul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My speakers get plenty loud from the stock head unit. Both the original 4" one and the Sync 3 I upgraded to. 15 is usually the max I'll turn the volume up to.
I took your recommendation and ordered the 6 1/2's from Rockford that you posted. They looked like a good value for the money. I already had one of the JL Stealthboxes on the way and an Alpine mono amp. Hopefully I will have everything installed in a couple weeks, everything is getting delivered next week.

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Base, M/T
I have the 4" unit and almost never exceed Level 12. If you buy thru crutchfield they provide various wiring adapters.

Where did you set the front/back/left/right balance @BetOnBlack ? With real speakers in the back I'm guessing it sounds so much better.
I'm pretty sure I just have the balanced centered. And Level 15 is because I've been to way too many loud concerts lol.

I took your recommendation and ordered the 6 1/2's from Rockford that you posted. They looked like a good value for the money. I already had one of the JL Stealthboxes on the way and an Alpine mono amp. Hopefully I will have everything installed in a couple weeks, everything is getting delivered next week.
Nice! Rockford hit the right quality to price ratio for me too. I had their subwoofers in my last two cars and have been a fan since. I considered going higher end, but at a certain point you have to add dynamat and drill out doors which I wasn't ready to do. I learned from my home theater that audio quality has diminishing returns as price increases a lot.
Sponsored