BIGGRAY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Hey all,

I have a 2019 GT PP1 MT82. I have a MGW X-Spec Shifter installed. Recently I am getting horrible vibration at 3-4k RPM. It happens both while driving and sitting still. If I sit in the drive way and hold my RPM'S at 3k, my shift knob rattles like crazy.

My shift dampener (batwing looking weight) did fall off on its own about 1-1.5 months ago, but since many people seem to remove it anyways I figured it wouldn't cause my issue. Since it also vibrates in neutral sitting still, would it be a motor mount? Trans mount?

I made sure the MGW bolts are all still tight, I re-did the lockout bolt on the MGW, and I made sure the bolts for the trans support were still torqued (they were)

I'm at a loss. Please help!
Sponsored

Last edited:

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
oof hoping my install next week goes smooth

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
When did the issue start? Has it been there the entire time you've had the MGW shifter or did it start right when your shift dampener fell off (I don't have the MT82-D4, so I don't even have a shift dampener anyway)?

The MGW is transmission mounted so you're going to get more vibrations through the shift knob, period but it shouldn't be anything crazy, just a light vibration (i only notice at idle with my MGW).

The problem could be from something not connected as securely from the shift linkage to the transmission or if you installed a stiffer transmission mount as well, you'd get more vibrations there too.

OP
OP

BIGGRAY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
When did the issue start? Has it been there the entire time you've had the MGW shifter or did it start right when your shift dampener fell off (I don't have the MT82-D4, so I don't even have a shift dampener anyway)?

The MGW is transmission mounted so you're going to get more vibrations through the shift knob, period but it shouldn't be anything crazy, just a light vibration (i only notice at idle with my MGW).

The problem could be from something not connected as securely from the shift linkage to the transmission or if you installed a stiffer transmission mount as well, you'd get more vibrations there too.
It started this summer... Maybe 1.5 months ago? I started noticing the vibration once the shift dampening weight fell off the transmission. The MGW has been installed for 3 years. Never had vibration like this before. I double checked the MGW nuts and bolts and everything is still tight. I have stock transmission and motor mounts too...

Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
I started noticing the vibration once the shift dampening weight fell off the transmission.
I'm not familiar with that dampener but it seems like it may actually have a purpose on the MT82-D4 if that's when you started noticing this. How did it just fall off? Are you able to re-attach it?

OP
OP

BIGGRAY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I'm not familiar with that dampener but it seems like it may actually have a purpose on the MT82-D4 if that's when you started noticing this. How did it just fall off? Are you able to re-attach it?
Many people remove it. Built D4's actually just install a cover plate. Odd that they won't have my issue when removed. But I hear you it makes sense the weight stopped the vibration...

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
Many people remove it. Built D4's actually just install a cover plate. Odd that they won't have my issue when removed. But I hear you it makes sense the weight stopped the vibration...
Yeah, I'd start with just re-attaching that dampener to see if there's any improvement. If not, you can look further.
Sponsored