Sponsored

Axle Thrust Washer

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So has it been concluded that the thrust washer being discussed is NOT on any if he S550 GT350's - but does exist on other S550 platforms?
Concluded?? Definitively? IDK. It is my careful assumption based on threads in the other sections (NOTE - this is the 350 section and I have found no such discussion on this topic in here) that the washer was added to the non 350 cars sometime in '17. To what cause and what was it trying to address?? I have zero clue. I was on the lookout for it since mine is a '17, but does not have it; see my earlier post. As many folks that have worked half shafts and changed wheel studs on the 350 in this section, I'd have to imagine if this washer was a factor, the topic would have surfaced by now.

Im trying to figure out if it does not exist - why and what major difference where it is not needed on the GT350, but is not only needed on the other platforms, but does cause interferences resulting in DTC codes when it fails or if it's missing.

Any thoughts?
Thoughts? Yes; you're trying too hard, LOL. There's enough differenc between the cars that if you care that deep in the woods, those questions may be better served in the other section.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Idk in 10k ish miles the ref marks are still aligned. Most seemed to have gone to 150 + an 1/8th

Ford tech told me the same when mine were noisy, crank em to 150 and see if it stops, they didn't.
What? The ref marks haven't moved but the half-shaft joints are noisy? I'm not getting it... Are they just not tight enough or are they defective?

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
What? The ref marks haven't moved but the half-shaft joints are noisy? I'm not getting it... Are they just not tight enough or are they defective?
The ref marks I painted on. When I bought my car used and replaced all the wheelbearings.

Mine haven't "clicked" since I replaced them. I've had zero issues but I go through and double check stuff. I've modded most of my suspension, so I go around with a tq wrench before a trip or w/e and check.

If you look at keltech yt he's dragging and has had his axle nuts back off, and any of the wheel bearing how to's, the axle nuts had backed off.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I’ll be doing the thread locker too.

200 lbs?? Uuuhhh, where’d you get that number? These aren’t GForce shafts that call for 200. It’s 98 + 45°. I’ve heard 150 + 1/8 from a few, but 200 +??
That's what the service manual says
Spindle.png

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’ll tell ya something else I’m doing. The splines on my half shaft were completely corroded over. Getting the nut all the way off was a pain. But, the nut coming off cleaned up the threads. Now that they’re cleaned off, after everything is torqued down and in place. I’m going to coat the exposed threads in Amsoil HD metal protectant. It leaves a film/coating on the surface. Never seen this discussed, but for the life of me can’t imagine what it would hurt.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’ll tell ya something else I’m doing. The splines on my half shaft were completely corroded over. Getting the nut all the way off was a pain. But, the nut coming off cleaned up the threads. Now that they’re cleaned off, after everything is torqued down and in place. I’m going to coat the exposed threads in Amsoil HD metal protectant. It leaves a film/coating on the surface. Never seen this discussed, but for the life of me can’t imagine what it would hurt.
It’ll be interesting to hear how the Amsoil product works. I’m using the ARP torque goop where I want corrosion protection. Seems to be working so far but it’s only a year so far.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The Amsoil works great. It’s not a grease. It doesn’t smear. It’s almost a wax like film left behind. In my motorcycle days, it was the only thing I used as chain lube and it did not sling off at all.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
+ 45° my f$&@ing ass!!

No. Damn. Way.

I went 98 lb Ft and then with a 32” breaker bar, AND a pipe extension on the end of the breaker bar, I got somewhere around 20°…and that’s all I could get.

There’s red locktite on the nut, so I doubt that’s coming off. But no damn way.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Just had to replace my thrust washer on the drivers side for the 3rd time. Nut would back off frequently. Decided to leave the new thrust washer off since gt350’s don’t have them and have far fewer reported issues. Also will never use red loctite again as getting the nut off was really sketchy. Decided to try a new route. Did 98ft lbs plus 45* with blue loctite, then since there’s a bunch of threads past the nut put an old one on as a jamb nut at 200ft lbs.

25A813FA-8F1E-4328-B0F3-CB1DBEE10220.jpeg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just had to replace my thrust washer on the drivers side for the 3rd time. Nut would back off frequently. Decided to leave the new thrust washer off since gt350’s don’t have them and have far fewer reported issues. Also will never use red loctite again as getting the nut off was really sketchy. Decided to try a new route. Did 98ft lbs plus 45* with blue loctite, then since there’s a bunch of threads past the nut put an old one on as a jamb nut at 200ft lbs.

25A813FA-8F1E-4328-B0F3-CB1DBEE10220.jpeg
A jam nut actually reduces the torque of the total assembly by reducing the tension on the main nut. I'd take it off before the whole thing undoes itself one more time.

Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
A jam nut actually reduces the torque of the total assembly by reducing the tension on the main nut. I'd take it off before the whole thing undoes itself one more time.
Damnit. Well was worth a shot, thanks for looking out. Off it comes.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
First track day after removing thrust washer, the larger boot clamp on the inboard CV slid off the boot and grease predictably flung everywhere. In searching for a replacement axle I found that the GT350 axle compressed length is longer than GT axles by the thrust washer thickness. So while you can remove the washer from your GT axles, after this experience I wouldn't recommend it. Sure it could have been unrelated, but that would be one hell of a coincidence.

Another example of trying to make something "better" and actually making it worse.
Sponsored

Reactions: AQ