AWD Stang?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I think there are a few levels of snow here. There is snow 1-10 inches. Then there are the parts of the country that regularly have 40+ inches of snow each winter. Snow tires or not, a mustang isn't going to do well in those circumstances.
Boston had its worst winter in recorded history last year with 110" of the white stuff. My Mustang handled it fine. The key is they plow the roads! It's a once or twice in a life time occurrence that there will be more than 10" of snow on the road at any one time in a reasonably populated area. The Blizzard of 78 was it for me.

Dave

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
RWD is definitely a hindrance in this weather but snow tires make it manageable as long as there isn't more than a few inches

Nothing beats a 4x4 beater on the side, however I saw too many SUV's beached (we got a few feet here), brand new Highlander, etc. If anyone were to get a 4x4 on the side, make sure its got tons of ground clearance. I used a 90's Tahoe 2 door and it was skipping right through even big snow piles the plows made

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I dunno, can I be cute? My Mustang is AWD, All Weather Drive. Sorry, had to. I agree with the others, throw on some Blizzak's and enjoy. I do drive mine year round. I have to admit, I am WORRIED the whole time about the other person hitting me. I have thought about 4WD and what that would be like in a Mustang. Porsche, Audi, BMW all have it as an option. I am SURE that Ford has to be looking at it as an option, it marketing says it would sell. I would not be mad that they 'broke away from a true muscle car'. Like a lot of guys on this thread have said, I had owned an A4 and a 328xi. both 4WD and both seriously impressive in the snow. I remember one drive home from work, I waited until everyone else had already left, then I went home. Nearly open highway and the 328xi. I drove home at 60mph-65mph sliding sideways and flooring it out of the corners... Best drive in a car I ever had. Thinking about recreaTING THAT IN A 'STANG WOULD BE OUTRAGEOUS AND FUN. I am not that good a driver to do that with RWD. Although, my 50th is coming up and I opened a package I shouldn't have. I day of high performance driving my mustang at the Pocono Raceway... I'd be for an AWD mustang.

Sponsored

HoustonMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red EcoBoost Premium with 20" wheels...
I love my 15 GT PP but having her just sit there is killing me. I'm pricing some all seasons as I type. All though all seasons would increase the days I could drive the her, I still would be limited by the rear wheel drive. I pulled into the grocery store today and seen an AWD Porsche rocking some blizzack's and thought damn I wish my stang was AWD. Who else would like to see a AWD stang and what's the chance of ever seeing one?
Of course Ford has the engineering ability to develop & produce an AWD Mustang...

The question is at what price point... and is there enough demand?

I've owned several AWD sport coupe's...they're wonderful!!

:cheers:

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you can drive a mustang in snow or wet roads but not at the same level as a AWD car. Also if you are driving on summer tires in the winter good luck, I parked mine once temps got below freezing. Having to baby it once temps got down around 45 took all the enjoyment out of driving it. Like I said in my original post I love my mustang but there is times it would be nice to have AWD.

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
Yes, you can drive a mustang in snow or wet roads but not at the same level as a AWD car. Also if you are driving on summer tires in the winter good luck, I parked mine once temps got below freezing. Having to baby it once temps got down around 45 took all the enjoyment out of driving it. Like I said in my original post I love my mustang but there is times it would be nice to have AWD.
Snow tires bring back the fun! I was terrified on the Perrellis at 55* and light moisture on he pavement. Even in ~ 3-4 inches of snow I had to try pretty hard to lose traction. I have a beater 4x4 just in case but I haven't needed it yet.

Don't be scared!!

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Snow tires bring back the fun! I was terrified on the Perrellis at 55* and light moisture on he pavement. Even in ~ 3-4 inches of snow I had to try pretty hard to lose traction. I have a beater 4x4 just in case but I haven't needed it yet.

Don't be scared!!
Not scared, just skeptical. What tire are you running?

Sponsored

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
Not scared, just skeptical. What tire are you running?
I've run Blizzaks in the past but the unpredictable nature of the weather in Cincinnati dictated something different this time. Yokohama Advan A/S's have done exceptionally well.

A week ago the high temp here was 17*. Saturday it will be 55*. Running Blizzaks in 50 something degree weather is the equivalent of driving your tires on cheese graters.

Id rate the Yokos the same as Conti DWS's I've run in the past. Very happy with them.

HoustonMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent most of my life in the Snowbelt before moving to Houston...

When I lived in the Snowbelt...changing to winter tires was just too much of a hassle...and you have to have a suitable area to store the summer wheels/tires...etc...

With current the popularity & availability of sporty AWD vehicles...I no longer would have any desire to operate a RWD vehicle in the snow...

IMO...the S550 Mustang is just not a suitable winter vehicle...besides the winter traction issue...it's just too low to the ground for handling drifting or deep snow!

HoustonMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think Ford is really interested in the R&D costs for such a thing to take place. The mustang is a GT car already tipping the scales at 3700+. The main goal for the Mustang is its pricepoint. 5 years ago you couldn't touch a 435hp car anywhere for less than 50k. If you want to offset the weight of such a system you are looking at Aluminum body. I think it would just drive the price of the Mustang to a place where it couldn't be competitive.
Agreed...the S550 need's to go on a diet...too much bulk...an AWD system would only aggravate the weight issue...

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
I spent most of my life in the Snowbelt before moving to Houston...

When I lived in the Snowbelt...changing to winter tires was just too much of a hassle...and you have to have a suitable area to store the summer wheels/tires...etc...

With current the popularity & availability of sporty AWD vehicles...I no longer would have any desire to operate a RWD vehicle in the snow...

IMO...the S550 Mustang is just not a suitable winter vehicle...besides the winter traction issue...it's just too low to the ground for handling drifting or deep snow!

Yeah a lot of people don't have what it takes, I guess.

Don't be scared!!!
Sponsored