4inch to 8inch

regachoz01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
So I recently just got my 2021 mustang and it's a base(i'm planning to build from the bottom). I already changed the exterior and I think I'll settle with it for now. I want to change the interior starting with the 4inch original sync. Is the oem sync 3 still worth it for a base since most buttons won't do anything other than the original buttons? I think the dual climate won't work either? If so, any good after market that can replace the 4inch? Thank you!
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's really easy to do on the newer cars because you don't have to do any harness switching and you can leave the stock USB hub. You'll need the APIM module, screen, and bezel from a sync 3 car. I recommend trying to find a 2019 or newer if you want FordPass to still work. You'll also need a laptop with ForScan to set everything up if you want drive modes. You won't get dual zone climate but everything will work normally despite that.

Sponsored

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Aren't there several aftermarket options that are better than the stock Sync 3? Not talking about Tesla screen but from the normal manufacturers like Alpine, Pioneer, Sony etc. If you're going to upgrade from the base 4 inch unit, wouldn't it be better to set the bar a little higher? Assuming you're OK with the non stock look of course.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger

Pwny_Exp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1, '18 Power Wagon, '16 JK, '19 E-Golf
Aren't there several aftermarket options that are better than the stock Sync 3? Not talking about Tesla screen but from the normal manufacturers like Alpine, Pioneer, Sony etc. If you're going to upgrade from the base 4 inch unit, wouldn't it be better to set the bar a little higher? Assuming you're OK with the non stock look of course.
The problem isn't the number or quality of aftermarket head units, it's the dash kits that replace the bezel and HVAC controls. I did that on my 2018 with a Scosche dash kit and this time around for my 2020 I'm doing the 8" sync 3 upgrade instead (and sending it out to an amp).

OP
OP

regachoz01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Do you guys know any good aftermarket products?

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d stick w oem ive seen some 3rd party units in person, literally watched several freeze on them. They played it off saying itā€™s rare

but Iā€™ve seen it more than once, my oem has never frozen

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

I am or was in the same boat. The issue is the bezel, the aftermarket by Scoetch and a few others leaves a lot to be desired. I have a base 300a GT and went down the same path.

OP
OP

regachoz01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
I am or was in the same boat. The issue is the bezel, the aftermarket by Scoetch and a few others leaves a lot to be desired. I have a base 300a GT and went down the same path.
So did you switch to the original oem or stick with aftermarket?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
So did you switch to the original oem or stick with aftermarket?

I have an OEM 8" screen I am installing. I have the parts but I need to have my 4g modem fixed and have no ETA on when the part will arrrive.
Sponsored