Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
I've had something odd happen. My Mustang rolled across the parking lot and bumped another car. The shifter was in Park. It only rolled about 3-4 foot. Left a small mark on the other bumper from my license plate screw.

I had parked my car. Walked to my boat. A few hours later a policeman was visiting my boat asking if I owned a red Mustang. When we walked back to my car I was able to push it backwards about a foot before it latched into park.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Till then I'll be using the parking brake.

Jerry
Sponsored

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium DIB
Wow what a nightmare, wonder why it's doing that? Good luck on finding the issue!

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yep, I always use the parking brake in an effort to keep stress off the transmission, although I'm not really sure if it actually does. If nothing else, it helps prevent situations like this.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
What is especially odd about this is my auto won't even let me turn the car off if it isn't in park all the way. My phone was preventing the shifter ever so slightly and the car beeped like crazy and wouldn't shut off. I'm guessing you've got s bit of a serious issue in your hands if the computer thinks the car is parked and it's not

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
There is something wrong with your park. Either the cable linkage is not working or the parking claw is totally destroyed.

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
What happens if you apply the parking brake after you put the transmission in Park and take your foot off the brake? is it useless? also does it do any damage by doing that?

OP
OP
RedEcoJet

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer looked at it this morning. Couldn't find anything wrong. No damage to the shift cable and cable bracket was tight, etc. They said that it wasn't unusual for this model to be able to roll a foot between the pawl detents.

I've rebuilt several automatics over the years. There are some different designs for the parking pawl. Some better than others. I'll have to find an exploded view of this trans to see how it works.

Jerry

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can't wait for the dealer to say "can't replicate the problem"...

My Toyota Camry seemingly rolls a half mile before it locks up if I catch it wrong... it's actually kind of ridiculous. I went on a forum and was like, is this the norm, and it is. Still not going to use the foot operated parking break on it, though... haha.
Sponsored