Sponsored

ATAK...A Borla Story!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A long time ago, in a garage far far away...It is done! Got my Borla ATAK system on and have spent a few days with her now. I don't have any great pics or any good how-to's because there's just really nothing special about the install. Epiphany has a good thread floating around here on his system and from that aspect, it's all the same. But that's where the similarities end...

So since this isn't a how-to, I'm just gonna spit out some thoughts and findings, and try to get some of the same questions that keep coming up. No, I don't have a sound clip. I don't have anything but an iPhone to record with and I am of the opinion that sound clips are totally useless anyways. I've never heard a clip that even remotely compared to, or gave an honest representation of real life. Sorry. Trust me, for this one, you'll wanna try to find someone that has one and check it out in person.

Disclaimer...I am swapping from a stock system with ShifTeck resonator delete (i.e. stock R system)

Is it loud? Oh yea! But here's the catch. Before I would use the word "loud" to compare this to the stock system, I would first use the word "quality". It has been stated and repeated a thousand times how well the stock system is and sounds. And I agree. So take that sound and refine it. That's what this system does. It adds a layer of quality and refinement to it that just can't be beat. It has this evil growl that I just can't find the words to describe on an internet forum. And to add volume in combination with that deep growl and retain that quality, non-ratty sound is pretty awesome. I keep hearing the concern over loosing that "voodoo sound". I don't really know what that means, so no comment on that one. It sounds like it should sound.

I will say this. When I was shopping, I missed out on two, used ATAK systems. Both were from owners who put it on, said it was too loud, and took the system right back off. That one I don't get. It's not that damn loud, and certainly when compared to a stock R (or resonator delete) system in sport mode. But, sound and volume are too subjective, so take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm happy with loud.

Another significant quality with this system is the difference (or lack there of) between normal and sport. Normal is quieter than sport, but significantly louder than stock normal. But again still, with that added layer of quality and refinement to both the tone and the volume. Normal sounds so good, the difference between normal and sport is far less significant that between the two modes on the stock system. Normal just kinda 'takes the edge off' instead of completely shutting it down.

In cab experience is also quite the transformation. It is louder in the car in sport. A fair amount. Again, with that added flair of quality and refinement to both tone and volume, so don't take away from this that it's just louder for the sake of being louder. To me, it's music. 6th gear is as quiet as it ever was.

ZERO drone. ZERO drone. You guys get that one? Drone? Zero. Yes, even in 5th or lower gear...zero drone. Just music.

Was it worth it? Was it worth the price of admission? Bang for the buck? Meh...uuummmm...eeehhhh...I gotta say yea, yes it was. But I have zero filter when it comes to spending money on car parts, so, again...take it with a grain of salt. I'm pretty darn happy. Add in the fact of the price I paid from Meraki Autoworks and my decision is even more solid.

I will add this. I have never heard the Borla Ford Performance system in person, but I have read about everything I could find on the two systems and if it's true and accurate that the Ford system is tamer than this one, I wouldn't spend the money on the Ford system. Even with the things I described, it would seem to me the gap between the ATAK and the stock R system is not big enough for something in the middle. Again...grain of salt.

The only thing that is literally bugging me to death about the Borla system is the x-pipe. I'm not by any means throwing Borla under the bus or talking shit or trying to dissuade anyone, but the x-pipe on this system is horrendous. I almost reinstalled my ShifTeck x-pipe, it's that bad. It's not even an x-pipe. The two pipes come together and there's a butchered hole, a tiny hole at that, that creates an opening between the two pipes. It's the uglies thing I've ever seen in my life. It doesn't appear that it would have any smooth flow or scavenging characteristics at all. The opening at the x is a buggered mess. But, at the end of the day, I just had to convince myself that Borla obviously did their R&D and they know what they're doing. I literally lost sleep over this decision, LOL.

I did send Borla pics of the inside of the ShifTeck pipe for comparison.

My system was manufactured in Jan '18 and I had ZERO fitment issues. No tip alignment problems, nothing. Went right on. I know Epiphany eluded to some twisting and slipping of the pipes not staying in place once installed, but I had none of that. Clamped down with all Borla clamps and she was rock solid. Even after a couple of heat cycles and drives, I netted zero movement and no adjustments were required.

I transferred all the heat shields to the new system with hose clamps. They fit just fine and I found a place where the big front one would sit flat over the X and she clamped right in place. No idea how the band clamps will hold up, but I'll just keep an eye on them. For now, they're rock solid.

Sorry for the novel guys, but that's that. If you guys have more specific questions that I didn't answer, please let me know. As a wrap up, it is a screamer for sure, with a deeper, evil growl and I'd probably do it again knowing what I know now. If you're on the fence, just f&$%ing jump.
Sponsored

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
A long time ago, in a garage far far away...It is done! Got my Borla ATAK system on and have spent a few days with her now. I don't have any great pics or any good how-to's because there's just really nothing special about the install. Epiphany has a good thread floating around here on his system and from that aspect, it's all the same. But that's where the similarities end...

So since this isn't a how-to, I'm just gonna spit out some thoughts and findings, and try to get some of the same questions that keep coming up. No, I don't have a sound clip. I don't have anything but an iPhone to record with and I am of the opinion that sound clips are totally useless anyways. I've never heard a clip that even remotely compared to, or gave an honest representation of real life. Sorry. Trust me, for this one, you'll wanna try to find someone that has one and check it out in person.

Disclaimer...I am swapping from a stock system with ShifTeck resonator delete (i.e. stock R system)

Is it loud? Oh yea! But here's the catch. Before I would use the word "loud" to compare this to the stock system, I would first use the word "quality". It has been stated and repeated a thousand times how well the stock system is and sounds. And I agree. So take that sound and refine it. That's what this system does. It adds a layer of quality and refinement to it that just can't be beat. It has this evil growl that I just can't find the words to describe on an internet forum. And to add volume in combination with that deep growl and retain that quality, non-ratty sound is pretty awesome. I keep hearing the concern over loosing that "voodoo sound". I don't really know what that means, so no comment on that one. It sounds like it should sound.

I will say this. When I was shopping, I missed out on two, used ATAK systems. Both were from owners who put it on, said it was too loud, and took the system right back off. That one I don't get. It's not that damn loud, and certainly when compared to a stock R (or resonator delete) system in sport mode. But, sound and volume are too subjective, so take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm happy with loud.

Another significant quality with this system is the difference (or lack there of) between normal and sport. Normal is quieter than sport, but significantly louder than stock normal. But again still, with that added layer of quality and refinement to both the tone and the volume. Normal sounds so good, the difference between normal and sport is far less significant that between the two modes on the stock system. Normal just kinda 'takes the edge off' instead of completely shutting it down.

In cab experience is also quite the transformation. It is louder in the car in sport. A fair amount. Again, with that added flair of quality and refinement to both tone and volume, so don't take away from this that it's just louder for the sake of being louder. To me, it's music. 6th gear is as quiet as it ever was.

ZERO drone. ZERO drone. You guys get that one? Drone? Zero. Yes, even in 5th or lower gear...zero drone. Just music.

Was it worth it? Was it worth the price of admission? Bang for the buck? Meh...uuummmm...eeehhhh...I gotta say yea, yes it was. But I have zero filter when it comes to spending money on car parts, so, again...take it with a grain of salt. I'm pretty darn happy. Add in the fact of the price I paid from Meraki Autoworks and my decision is even more solid.

I will add this. I have never heard the Borla Ford Performance system in person, but I have read about everything I could find on the two systems and if it's true and accurate that the Ford system is tamer than this one, I wouldn't spend the money on the Ford system. Even with the things I described, it would seem to me the gap between the ATAK and the stock R system is not big enough for something in the middle. Again...grain of salt.

The only thing that is literally bugging me to death about the Borla system is the x-pipe. I'm not by any means throwing Borla under the bus or talking shit or trying to dissuade anyone, but the x-pipe on this system is horrendous. I almost reinstalled my ShifTeck x-pipe, it's that bad. It's not even an x-pipe. The two pipes come together and there's a butchered hole, a tiny hole at that, that creates an opening between the two pipes. It's the uglies thing I've ever seen in my life. It doesn't appear that it would have any smooth flow or scavenging characteristics at all. The opening at the x is a buggered mess. But, at the end of the day, I just had to convince myself that Borla obviously did their R&D and they know what they're doing. I literally lost sleep over this decision, LOL.

I did send Borla pics of the inside of the ShifTeck pipe for comparison.

My system was manufactured in Jan '18 and I had ZERO fitment issues. No tip alignment problems, nothing. Went right on. I know Epiphany eluded to some twisting and slipping of the pipes not staying in place once installed, but I had none of that. Clamped down with all Borla clamps and she was rock solid. Even after a couple of heat cycles and drives, I netted zero movement and no adjustments were required.

I transferred all the heat shields to the new system with hose clamps. They fit just fine and I found a place where the big front one would sit flat over the X and she clamped right in place. No idea how the band clamps will hold up, but I'll just keep an eye on them. For now, they're rock solid.

Sorry for the novel guys, but that's that. If you guys have more specific questions that I didn't answer, please let me know. As a wrap up, it is a screamer for sure, with a deeper, evil growl and I'd probably do it again knowing what I know now. If you're on the fence, just f&$%ing jump.

[MENTION=33934]galaxy[/MENTION] How did you tighten the band clamps to get them really tight? What size hose clamps did you buy?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I used the clamps that come with the kit and just used a socket/ratchet to tighten them down until you couldn’t twist them. Nothing special. Hose clamps are the big ones. Forgot which size. Installed them and cut the excess length off with tin snips.

Sammyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 5.0 COUPE
I used the clamps that come with the kit and just used a socket/ratchet to tighten them down until you couldn’t twist them. Nothing special. Hose clamps are the big ones. Forgot which size. Installed them and cut the excess length off with tin snips.
Galaxy, is 6th gear louder (more noticeable) with the ATAK system? I have the Shifteck currently and was curious if you could hear more of the exhaust. It’s a little too quiet for me in 6th so I’m hoping it has a touch more volume or tone. I’m close to pulling the trigger on the ATAK....just saving up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mmmm...I’d have to say minimal to zero change cruising highway speeds in 6th. It’s extremely liveable considering how aggressive this system is. If it’s louder than stock, it’s only a scosh. Not anything I’d use to make a decision on.

Sammyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 5.0 COUPE
Mmmm...I’d have to say minimal to zero change cruising highway speeds in 6th. It’s extremely liveable considering how aggressive this system is. If it’s louder than stock, it’s only a scosh. Not anything I’d use to make a decision on.
Thanks for the insight. I’m still going to get the ATAK, just wanted your opinion.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for the insight. I’m still going to get the ATAK, just wanted your opinion.
Do it bro. I do agree, an exhaust on this car (especially if the resonators are gone) is very low bang for the buck, but it’s still an improvement when half the value is me getting to work on my car. And the grins per mile with this system was also a worthwhile factor. Especially with Meraki’s prices.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
We're ready when you're ready!

-Josh

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
We're ready when you're ready!

-Josh

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Do it bro. I do agree, an exhaust on this car (especially if the resonators are gone) is very low bang for the buck, but it’s still an improvement when half the value is me getting to work on my car. And the grins per mile with this system was also a worthwhile factor. Especially with Meraki’s prices.
Did you notice yours got louder and changed sound a little over time as it broke in? Mine definitely did...

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did you notice yours got louder and changed sound a little over time as it broke in? Mine definitely did...
Ya know Mike, I don't know if it was you or someone else that said that in another thread somewhere, but I gotta go with no. Nothing that I really noticed. Over the course of how much time? I probably don't even have 1,000 miles on my system yet.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Ya know Mike, I don't know if it was you or someone else that said that in another thread somewhere, but I gotta go with no. Nothing that I really noticed. Over the course of how much time? I probably don't even have 1,000 miles on my system yet.
It was probably me. I’ve posted a lot about my adventures with the ATAK, both good and bad. I honestly didn’t notice a whole lot of change until around 800 miles or so but the sound I have now at 2600 miles is a lot louder and different than it was when I put it on initially. Granted, I had all of 90 miles on the car when it put it on, so that may have just been from the engine breaking in and/or the exhaust. Was it loud? Hell yeah it was loud. But now it sounds like an exorcism when she’s wide open. I’m just more or less curious if anyone else noticed the change, mostly to back up my statement of “give it time” to the people who didn’t like it right off the bat.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It was probably me. I’ve posted a lot about my adventures with the ATAK, both good and bad. I honestly didn’t notice a whole lot of change until around 800 miles or so but the sound I have now at 2600 miles is a lot louder and different than it was when I put it on initially. Granted, I had all of 90 miles on the car when it put it on, so that may have just been from the engine breaking in and/or the exhaust. Was it loud? Hell yeah it was loud. But now it sounds like an exorcism when she’s wide open. I’m just more or less curious if anyone else noticed the change, mostly to back up my statement of “give it time” to the people who didn’t like it right off the bat.
I've had the same experience with my Ford Performance system. When I first got it on, it was smooth and quiet w/ no pops or crackles. 1,500 miles later, its noticeably louder and angrier with a ton of loud pops and crackles.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I've had the same experience with my Ford Performance system. When I first got it on, it was smooth and quiet w/ no pops or crackles. 1,500 miles later, its noticeably louder and angrier with a ton of loud pops and crackles.
Yeah. I think mine started popping and snapping within the first 800-1000 miles. One day it was just kinda loud while kicking over 2k on downshifts, the next I was scaring the crap out of people every single time with huge bangs and pops. When it changed, it was very abrupt at times. It's been about the same now since 1800-2000 miles, and I don't expect it to change any more. I'm glad I'm not the only one out here that noticed this.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the car when you put the exhaust on?
Sponsored