Stainless works catted 1 7/8" headers with a borla ATAK

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Hey guys. Does anyone have/ know of this combo and how it sounds? I've seen a decent video from SW outlining the difference between stock, and headers with resonator delete, but my attempts to nail down a solid answer on this is proving fruitless. My car is loud as is, but I don't want the combo of the Borla with these or any other headers to make the car obnoxiously loud, or sound like crap. Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

As a note, power gains aren't my end goal. I'd rather have a nicely crafted system that sounds good, than to run in circles seeking out 1-2 more HP out of the headers in the initial purchase.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have the ATAK with everything stock in front of that and she's pretty loud. Well, louder than stock anyways. Still not too much. I can only imagine headers though (even with high flow cats) would be a screamer. I think obnoxious is too subjective though. I know A LOT of folks think the ATAK alone is too damn loud, but not for me. I'd want to hear that set up in person if I was concerned. Videos DO NOT do any exhaust system justice; you need to hear it in person.

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I have the ATAK with everything stock in front of that and she's pretty loud. Well, louder than stock anyways. Still not too much. I can only imagine headers though (even with high flow cats) would be a screamer. I think obnoxious is too subjective though. I know A LOT of folks think the ATAK alone is too damn loud, but not for me. I'd want to hear that set up in person if I was concerned. Videos DO NOT do any exhaust system justice; you need to hear it in person.
Yeah. I've had the Borla on for 3600 miles now and I love the sound. I just don't want to hate myself for spending $1600 on headers that I can't stand to run on my car because it makes it obnoxiously loud.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
But remember, it’ll only be obnoxious loud outside the car ;)

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
But remember, it’ll only be obnoxious loud outside the car ;)
That will be OBNOXIOUSLY, holy fawk, how can you live with that, are you insane, loud.
And this is why we ask questions lol. I mean I can live with it being loud outside the car, as long as it's tolerable with the valves closed so I'm not a complete @$$hole to my neighbors when I leave for work at 6am. I live in rural Vermont so I don't have to worry too much about the 5-0, but I don't really want to draw any unwanted attention more than my car already does; especially from the police.

I guess there's really no way to know unless I actually do it. If i do, I will keep you all posted.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I had long tubes, no resonators, and Borla ATAK on my '11 Coyote car and I popped 107 dB at 50 feet at autocross. Which is painfully loud.

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I had long tubes, no resonators, and Borla ATAK on my '11 Coyote car and I popped 107 dB at 50 feet at autocross. Which is painfully loud.
Yeah that’s pretty freaking loud. Hopefully closing the valves will keep it tame for the sake of my neighbors.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah that’s pretty freaking loud. Hopefully closing the valves will keep it tame for the sake of my neighbors.
The 350 will be louder too because of the higher compression and higher airflow requirements...get ready for it. Good luck lol. But can't deny the nice power increase. However if you replace your catback you can tame it. Kooks and ARH's catback both are actually QUIETER than the factory catback without resonators.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
The 350 will be louder too because of the higher compression and higher airflow requirements...get ready for it. Good luck lol. But can't deny the nice power increase. However if you replace your catback you can tame it. Kooks and ARH's catback both are actually QUIETER than the factory catback without resonators.
Who would you recommend for a tune to maximize power and efficiency gains? I want to do a CAI at the same time as the headers so having someone like Lund or Bama to do a remote tune would be my preference.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you're doing a new intake, yes. If you're doing headers only, it is not required and you will be PERFECTLY fine despite what the internet tells you. But a tune would be advisable just so you're not leaving anything on the table. With a JLT intake, long tubes, and a 93 tune, expect around 500 - 510 RWHP depending on the day/dyno. E85 and you'll be scratching 530. These GT350 tunes are starting to get seriously dialed in. VMP has even been squeezing out 25 RWHP on a 91 tune. Only a few months ago was that possible on 93 only.

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
If you're doing a new intake, yes. If you're doing headers only, it is not required and you will be PERFECTLY fine despite what the internet tells you. But a tune would be advisable just so you're not leaving anything on the table. With a JLT intake, long tubes, and a 93 tune, expect around 500 - 510 RWHP depending on the day/dyno. E85 and you'll be scratching 530. These GT350 tunes are starting to get seriously dialed in. VMP has even been squeezing out 25 RWHP on a 91 tune. Only a few months ago was that possible on 93 only.
You had me at 500whp...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You had me at 500whp...
Or just get an E85 tune from Lund. There's dyno sheets out there at 505 RWHP on sweet E85 alone. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing 535 - 540 RWHP GT350's by next summer on E85, long tubes, no cats, and bigger intakes alone.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Or just get an E85 tune from Lund. There's dyno sheets out there at 505 RWHP on sweet E85 alone. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing 535 - 540 RWHP GT350's by next summer on E85, long tubes, no cats, and bigger intakes alone.
I know my winter plans.
Sponsored