Arizona crap 91 octane!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
There is always some one in the "oil industry" who trys to say it's all the same. Yes it all comes from a few pipelines but different stations treat it differently. It's the same story with flex fuel. It all comes in from the same place, same truck, yet some how a select few chevrons consistantly test at a higher E content then other stations. Any one one who runs data logs, and calculates mileage, or even pays enough attention to their butt dyno knows all of our crappy 91 is not created equal.
Sponsored

Kmp013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4X4 1971 Chevrolet C20
There is always some one in the "oil industry" who trys to say it's all the same. Yes it all comes from a few pipelines but different stations treat it differently. It's the same story with flex fuel. It all comes in from the same place, same truck, yet some how a select few chevrons consistantly test at a higher E content then other stations. Any one one who runs data logs, and calculates mileage, or even pays enough attention to their butt dyno knows all of our crappy 91 is not created equal.
That is the additive package for Gasoline is different. But the formula for gasoline is the same no matter what. Ethonal Blends can vary because again this is blended at the truck rack while the truck is being filled. You can have a truck that is not completely empty when he fills with E85, as one example or the blender is not working properly. That is why there is different concentrations of ethonal. But just go take a look at the distribution terminals, you will have a Chevron truck next to a Arco, next to a Shell truck and they will have three big main tanks for Regular Unleaded, Super Unleaded, and Diesel. Then there will be smaller tanks with Ethonal and Bio-Diesel and then you will have even smaller tanks with the Additive packages for the different companies.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
No argument with you on any of that. But some how between the processing and handling of the fuel by the time it leaves the pump and goes into our cars there is drivability differences across the board with different stations.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
You need to find a "Dedicated" Station. Not all Chevrons or Shells are dedicated. What that means is that the fuel comes from 'The' refinery not from the national pipeline fuel system. Being "dedicated" means the fuel will be consistent and about 15 cents a gallon more expensive than other stations, in my area anyway.

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You need to find a "Dedicated" Station. Not all Chevrons or Shells are dedicated. What that means is that the fuel comes from 'The' refinery not from the national pipeline fuel system. Being "dedicated" means the fuel will be consistent and about 15 cents a gallon more expensive than other stations, in my area anyway.

How does one go about finding a “dedicated station”?

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How does one go about finding a “dedicated station”?
Do you ever drive by a Shell or Chevron or Mobile and think 'Damn, that's a little high.', that's the place.

Here it runs about 15 cents a gallon higher than the station across the street.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you have a Costco go there. They get daily fuel trucks and most are very new.

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Do you ever drive by a Shell or Chevron or Mobile and think 'Damn, that's a little high.', that's the place.

Here it runs about 15 cents a gallon higher than the station across the street.
Honesty where I live I have never noticed a station that was significantly higher than the others. I will keep an eye out now to see if there is one in my area....

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Honesty where I live I have never noticed a station that was significantly higher than the others. I will keep an eye out now to see if there is one in my area....
Good point its almost always a Chevron or Shell that is drastically higher. Never in life have you driven by an Arco and said damn that's expensive lol.

Another reason switching to flex fuel is a huge help. Problem is it's just not highly available here but I hear that may be changing in the coming years.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked today, the minor stations are at around 2.44/gal. and the Chevron is 2.99. No idea what the E54 is or if it IS E54, lol.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I just checked today, the minor stations are at around 2.44/gal. and the Chevron is 2.99. No idea what the E54 is or if it IS E54, lol.
The e54 at the Chevron on 48th st and Broadway which is my go to pump is currently 2.89. Its actually gone up there was a time it was 2.59. But it is consistent and at 54 or higher. Black Market Racing around the corner uses it to tune its NA and FI cars and is constantly testing it. Not only do you get the benefits of the added timing but its cooling properties helps tremendously in this environment right now lol.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The e54 at the Chevron on 48th st and Broadway which is my go to pump is currently 2.89. Its actually gone up there was a time it was 2.59. But it is consistent and at 54 or higher. Black Market Racing around the corner uses it to tune its NA and FI cars and is constantly testing it. Not only do you get the benefits of the added timing but its cooling properties helps tremendously in this environment right now lol.

There are a couple places here in BHC with E54 and race gas at the dock. I haven't got to Flex fuel or E85 yet, Yet.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
There are a couple places here in BHC with E54 and race gas at the dock. I haven't got to Flex fuel or E85 yet, Yet.
Once you turn to the dark side you won't go back, or if you do it will be reluctantly lol. Long road trip or something or the obligatory quarterly tank of 91 to live everything.

Abby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not just the brand of gas, but the individual stations too. Next time your there ask the kid working how often they check for water in their underground tanks. Not usually a big problem as almost all underground tanks have some water in the and it just at the bottom. But, if they have quite a bit and just took a delivery to stir it all up, your car ain’t going to run great.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Once you turn to the dark side you won't go back, or if you do it will be reluctantly lol. Long road trip or something or the obligatory quarterly tank of 91 to live everything.
So much more happy running the flex fuel tune (and at least the E54 we get here in AZ), vs running regular 91 and playing the roulette game. Also if you ever watch Alex Flores videos on youtube, you'll know he's not a fan of Costco gas.
Sponsored