Sponsored

Are you tired of shifting gears?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Doesn't matter if someone else isn't bothered by sitting in traffic daily with a manual. It only matters if you are. You'll find people that would rather sit in 4hr traffic jams with a manual rather than automatic.
I have a '19 manual. I have no regrets. But I work from home, no commute. If I had a substantial commute that involved stop/go, no way would I have a manual GT. I don't care what anyone says. To me, it sucks compared to the ease of an automatic in those conditions. No brainer.
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I've been daily driving manuals since 1981, if I ever get tired of it I'll get a bus pass.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
My work truck is a manual and I hate it when I'm in a backup. My last 3 were manuals as well...my choice. I'm ordering a new Ram 3500 this fall, it will be an auto. My Mustangs will always be manuals because I just prefer it by far.

Redskull

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I've been driving for about 20 years and had 9 cars... Only one of them had an automatic transmission and I had to trade it in after 4 months; it takes all the fun out of driving imo.

sZedely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I am finally going back to having a manual in my daily driver. It has been too long.
To answer your question though.. It would really depend on the length and type of driving for me. My drive is not so bad, only 25 miles of open highway (80-90% of the time). There is the occasional traffic jam due to local events or accidents/intentionals. But... If it were a longer distance with worse traffic, I would have bought a different car with an automatic (maybe).

On another note, I agree with you on the shifting strategies for the 10-speed. My wife has a 2018 F150 with the 10-speed and it would shift hard at times. After I purchased a tune for the truck, it not only had way more power, it shifted like it had a totally different transmission. Night and day difference. You may want to try out a custom tune, assuming you haven't yet.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
With Rev-Match and Hill Assist it certainly makes things easier. I turned off Hill Assist once I got used to the clutch because it was causing my bunny hop starts on slight grades once I got used to the car. Learning the first few weeks helped a lot though.

I don't daily drive mine. If I did the auto would be my pick. I don't "love" the manual but for a weekend/sunny day car like mine is I didn't see a reason not to.

If the A10 was offered with the PP2 package I likely would have went with that.

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm tired of it just thinking of traffic and I don't even have a manual.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Interestingly I learned on a manual, drove a manual for a long time, went to an automatic, now back with manual. I found that after a couple days I don't even think about shifting in regular traffic, I just do it. It's like riding a bike. That being said, I live in a pretty small town and my commute is pretty easy. If I was commuting across a big city with lots of traffic I would get a car with plenty of driver assists.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Some people get tired.

I wouldn't have anything but a manual.

As required by internet rules, I have to at least hint at why other opinions are inferior:

I'm not sure why complaints about shifting remind me of the old Nat Lamp book: The Job of Sex.

2slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Nope. This is coming from someone who sat in Chicago rush hour traffic for 4 years as well. The only annoying thing for me is 2nd gear.

2nd? How so?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Well you asked and I am the total opposite I just traded my GT350 for a 19 GT 10 speed auto and absolutely love my new ride auto. And I am a car enthusiast to the max and have owned many of cars. Just last year sold both of my Challenger and Charger Hellcats which had the 8 speed autos.
And here’s my former 17 GT350 and my new GT Orange Fury:
50FF6336-A105-465B-9721-4963FD9B481F.jpeg

AD675923-A103-45A5-8FE6-9D33BDE0E38D.jpeg
[/QUOTE
Very cool to hear that. I also had a 15 challenger R/T and then a 16 scatpack both with the 8 speed. Loved
The 8 speed and of course the interior room. The salesman that I bought my 18 GT from basically talked me out of the Manuel saying that after a few months i’d get tired of shifting! Ha,ha. I might just find me a 11-14 mustang GT with the Manuel for a fun car. I’m glad that you like the 10 speed.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Some people get tired.

I wouldn't have anything but a manual.

As required by internet rules, I have to at least hint at why other opinions are inferior:

I'm not sure why complaints about shifting remind me of the old Nat Lamp book: The Job of Sex.
It’s not the shifting that gets tiring, just the clutch work I suppose.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
The new 10 speed auto is truly awesome in sport and or race mode. When your breaking the car she automatically down shifts like a race car and that is pretty cool with engine revs as well. I have not been able to drive mine very much since she has the Summer tires and I live in the cold weather climate. I am curious if the exhaust pop Crackles and burps when your running her hard like my Jaguar F Type auto does? That is over the top put a smile on your face when your getting into her and she pop crackle burps lol.
B7DA5F6B-3FCA-4EB1-B27F-7581E3EFB73A.jpeg
When I am doing spirited driving I don’t really hear any spittin or crackle in any of the modes. I have read where a few folks get that crackle on stock exhaust when they replace the resonator with an h pipe or x pipe in its place.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I dont mind shifting gears and find it fun in a powerful car. however I will never again subject myself to the POS MT82 that Ford chose to put in the Mustangs. I had one and it was such a POS that I traded the car in at 4000 miles for a 6A equipped GT. I loved my Camaro SS with the TR6060. same goes for my 392 Challenger.
Sponsored