Sponsored

Are you considering other cars besides the 2015 Mustang?

Will you cross-shop the 2015 Mustang?

• Total voters

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
can't wait for 2015 Shelby vs 2015 C7.. don't you think the IRS on Mustang will make a difference? also the weight loss and the New mustang is much lower than the 2014 out going unit. Most "enthusiasts" complain about the so called "electronics" you are raving about. Yes, they will help novice driver like me from crashing. Will it help experts? I compared both 2015 GT and 2014 C7 at the NC AutoExpo over the weekend. 2015 Mustang is as low as the C7
Sponsored

Diver Down

Threads
Reaction score
(It's not the wheel diameters that make it stick to the road)

Norm
Fair enough.

The real difference maker is probably the electronically controlled rear mechanical differential.

I'm not a gear head. You could probably tell me the key attributes of the car better than I.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Think tire tread compounding and tire carcass structure, obviously attained with sufficient load capacity in mind.

Norm

Diver Down

Threads
Reaction score
Think tire tread compounding and tire carcass structure, obviously attained with sufficient load capacity in mind.

Norm
OK, now you're just showing off. I'm afraid you're going to have to dummy it down for me. If you have any pop up pictures that would be helpful....

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
OK, now you're just showing off. I'm afraid you're going to have to dummy it down for me. If you have any pop up pictures that would be helpful....
They chose/designed the right tires for the rides.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You first have to build the potential grip into the tires themselves, as suspension tuning cannot add grip that isn't there to begin with, or keep the tire contact patch in its happiest orientation if the tire structure itself is too flexible. Not all tires in any given nominal size are equal in these respects, and this is something that the different tire performance categories on Tire Rack's at least hint at. And just to complicate matters a little, nor does any specific individual tire achieve the same levels of grip or steering response on every acceptable rim width for that tire.

If you're then looking to optimize performance, what you do with car design and suspension tuning after that is generally aimed at extracting as much of that inherent tire performance as much of the time you're needing it as possible.

But OE mfrs have other considerations and compromises get made . . . trading off little slices of ultimate cornering performance or steering response to gain larger benefits in terms of ride quality, tread life, and understeer for the average (or lowest common denominator!) driver being a couple of examples.

FWIW the tire that you might buy on the replacement tire market or through aftermarket performance sources may not be exactly the same tire that you get as OE on your car when it rolls off the production line. Not even if it's the same size and designated as being the same tire model.

They chose/designed the right tires for the rides.
When you consider all of the mfr's tire requirements, perhaps they did. But that does not guarantee that such a mfr's "best overall compromise" tire and wheel package matches up with what any given enthusiast wants for his individual driving. I'm not talking about appearance at all here (I try to stay out of most appearance matters).

Norm

Black GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT BBP 6R80
If I don't buy a 2015 Black GT I'll settle for a Veyron or a new McLaren650.

I pretty sure it will be a 2015 GT.

Diver Down

Threads
Reaction score
I think the conversation is a bit lost in the weeds. The bottom line is that they were testing the Stingray on the stock Z51 equipment, including tires. The overall performance when it came to handling, cornering and braking was significantly better than the Shelby. On straightaways, the Shelby had a clear advantage with the sheer HP differential.

So when it comes to comparing/contrasting the Stingray to other sports/muscle cars out there it seems to be a tough competitor. For economy, I prefer the Mustang GT. Good bang for the buck. For a bit more (or quite a bit more) money I think the Stingray delivers all three qualities: superior speed, handling and braking. The stats and performance testing on it are quite impressive.

And as far as looks goes, the Stingray is absolutely stunning in person. It is sharp.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
A lot of this depends on how much someone is willing to PAY their new car for, what is their budget?

For instance, I will NOT be trading in a used car, it would be an outright buy and my UPPER limit is $45K.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Forming an opinion based on a comparison between a brand new, redesigned Vette vs a Mustang that is at the very end of its life cycle is probably a bit premature. Not that a 2-seater sports car vs a pony car is a proper comparison anyway.

Regardless, I suspect that whatever Ford has up their sleeve for the next halo Mustang (GT350 presumably) will compare much more favorably...

Diver Down

Threads
Reaction score
A lot of this depends on how much someone is willing to PAY their new car for, what is their budget?

For instance, I will NOT be trading in a used car, it would be an outright buy and my UPPER limit is $45K.
A great point for sure. $60,000 compounded at 8% for 25 years comes out to a future value of $410,908. It's much smarter to invest the money and buy a beater than to spend it on an expensive new sports car.

Since I have a company car and don't need a car this is the only thing holding me back from getting anything. I'd be better off financially by not buying anything.

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
You should just back home with mom and dad.since money is your thing, but most people on here make there money to enjoy it. I'll have two car payments more then likely forever. I love new cars and my wife does to. So party on!!! You live once get what you want now!!!

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
You should just back home with mom and dad.since money is your thing, but most people on here make there money to enjoy it. I'll have two car payments more then likely forever. I love new cars and my wife does to. So party on!!! You live once get what you want now!!!

That's kind of harsh. The man is simply making an intelligent post about optional ways to use one's money. Further, while I am not overly fond of the grammar police on forums, and I realize that we all make mistakes when posting on the net, your post would have been more likely to garner support if it weren't written so poorly.

In sentence one you left out the word, "MOVE" or perhaps, "GO." Also you put a period after, "DAD" when a coma would be preferred. Additionally, since you chose a period it would be correct to have two spaces after the period and to capitalize the word, "SINCE" if indeed it was your goal to start a new sentence.

Subsequently you wrote, "money is your thing" which you followed with a coma. Unfortunately here, a period would have worked much better. This is because, "Most people on here...." is an entirely new idea.

Additionally in that same idea/sentence you write, "THERE money." Is this meant as opposed to, "HERE money???" I suspect you meant, "THEIR money." "THERE," money means money which is not HERE. You appear to mean money which is the property of, "Most people on here."

Further, you state that you will have 2 car payments, "More THEN likely forever." What you meant was, "More THAN likely..." The word, "Then" implies a sequence of events. Such as, "I did X then Y."

Ultimately, you attacked a post because a man gave a thoughtful, intelligent, well reasoned, informative view of a different, if not better way to use one's money than to purchase an expensive car. Your argument seemed to center on, "party on" and instant gratification. Instant gratification is the reason a lot of people have had to file for bankrupcy, have property reposessed and even move home to their mother and father's home.

This subject is especially timely to me as two months ago I loaned, interest free, many thousands of dollars to a friend. This was ultimately to help his family keep their home. They did not understand the concept of fiscal responsibility at the expense of scratching consumer itches. Your last line, "GET WHAT YOU WANT NOW," is representative of an attitude which drove many in this country to lose their homes.

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
I see validity to the argument on both sides. On one hand, it would be better for your fiscal future to save/invest the money than to buy a vehicle that will severely depreciate in a short period of time.

On the other hand, if you have the extra money (now and in the future) to spend, then you should consider getting what you want. The concept is that if you're always saving and investing, then you might die comfortably rich but ultimately be sad you missed out on doing what you wanted while you were younger. You just have to think these big financial situations through. Everyone's in a different situation.
Sponsored