Sponsored

anything gone wrong with your car?

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I see you have headers. Hopefully the noise is something simpler, like an exhaust manifold leak.
I really hope so, it's sitting at the dealer right now, even though I don't really trust them I didn't know what else to do. Do you think they would try and make the problem seem bigger than it is? Like, let's say make me get a new engine even if it is just an exhaust manifold leak? It started after I did a small pull to 70, which is not really anything. It started making a clicking sound and at first, I thought it was the trans, but then the engine's power cut out on the highway lol. It started up again fine though, but still made the knocking sound. Threw a code for starter that never came back once I cleared it.

Here's some videos of the sound:
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased Dec 2015 and have 55k on it. At 44k I had the passengers side front control arm tension link bushing show excessive wear. Replaced both sides with Steeda parts. Drivers side seat bolster is tearing too.

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Update on my engine situation, the dealer called and said I need a new engine. :puke: :whew: They quoted me ~$7.7k+tax..man I was not ready for this at all haha..

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my engine situation, the dealer called and said I need a new engine. :puke: :whew: They quoted me ~$7.7k+tax..man I was not ready for this at all haha..
Get a used one and pay a separate shop to do it if they won't cover it under warranty! Cyclone engines are out there used under $1k easily then labor expenses.

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Get a used one and pay a separate shop to do it if they won't cover it under warranty! Cyclone engines are out there used under $1k easily then labor expenses.
Yeah, that's the plan if they aren't willing to cover it through warranty because of my modifications, but I only have intake and exhaust pretty much. Nothing major. It's currently at a different dealer right now to see if I have any luck with them. I had a local shop quoting me $3,850 for install of a certified preowned cyclone with ~8,000 miles and has 1 year/unlimited miles warranty, so that's my backup plan as of now. Does that sound fair, or could I go lower?

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure on the full details of an engine swap, but assuming $1200 for the engine (8k is low miles, plus one year warranty - maybe see if you can negotiate that up to two years somehow), that sounds like 2600 for labor or roughly a 24 hour job @ 110/hr. For something where I'm sure there will be multiple techs working on it at certain points, it doesn't sound too crazy to me honestly.

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
So the good news is, I talked to the dealer and they said they are now waiting on Ford's approval before they can continue forward with the warranty process, which is progress, right? The dealer told me it MIGHT not get approved by Ford because of my mods, but I really only have intake and exhaust nothing too major. Has anyone had any success stories of getting their warranty approved with mods? Or is it just an automatic fail? I guess only time will tell, but I'm so anxious waiting for the call haha. The previous dealer denied me instantly and I don't even think it reached Ford.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
So the good news is, I talked to the dealer and they said they are now waiting on Ford's approval before they can continue forward with the warranty process, which is progress, right? The dealer told me it MIGHT not get approved by Ford because of my mods, but I really only have intake and exhaust nothing too major. Has anyone had any success stories of getting their warranty approved with mods? Or is it just an automatic fail? I guess only time will tell, but I'm so anxious waiting for the call haha. The previous dealer denied me instantly and I don't even think it reached Ford.
I had no issues, but my issues pertained to my back up camera. They tried to charge me for it, trying to say a performance tune was affecting my backup camera working properly, ha. As for a whole motor, I would say decent chance if your car has been tuned by someone other than ford they will say your warranty is voided on the motor, since the tune can make or break it.

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I had no issues, but my issues pertained to my back up camera. They tried to charge me for it, trying to say a performance tune was affecting my backup camera working properly, ha. As for a whole motor, I would say decent chance if your car has been tuned by someone other than ford they will say your warranty is voided on the motor, since the tune can make or break it.
It's currently on stock tune right now. How would the dealer know if it's tuned by them or someone else? I read somewhere that they can check the number of times the ECU has been flashed, but how would they know if it was from a dealer or third-party, is it documented somewhere when the dealer does an ECU flash?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's currently on stock tune right now. How would the dealer know if it's tuned by them or someone else? I read somewhere that they can check the number of times the ECU has been flashed, but how would they know if it was from a dealer or third-party, is it documented somewhere when the dealer does an ECU flash?
They can tell the number of starts since it was last flashed and they probably log it in your service history if they flash it for any reason.

Sponsored

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Good news! I got an email saying Ford approved the warranty for my new engine. :crackup: I'm surprised to say the least because I really expected it to not go through because of all my mods.

The engine is on order and will take 3-5 days and they said it will take another 1-2 days to install. They also said I need to pay for new header gaskets, but that's no problem at all, I'm just glad I don't have to pay $8000 for a new motor. I believe OEM gaskets fit BBK shorty headers, right?

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely happily pay for the header gaskets in that situation! Great to hear man.

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
So, what went wrong?
Dealer said I had a damaged piston, not sure how though. The night it happened I was on the highway and did a small pull from 60 to 70ish and when I let off the gas I just heard this grinding sound and at first, I thought it was my trans.

A few seconds later the engine just cut and I lost all throttle response so I coasted onto the shoulder. When I started it up again, there was a really loud knock from the engine. I don't know how it happened because I kept up with all my maintenance and oil change was just last month. I checked my oil level and pressure all read normal and there was no check engine light, no leak or anything. I'm just glad things worked out in the end and I don't have to drop $8,000 for a new motor.

OP
OP

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ouch. I suppose we should move your posts to the Five Cylinder Mustang forum.

Glad they honored the warranty, I could see them not doing it since you got a tune done.
Sponsored