Sponsored

Does "sport mode" change anything at all besides steering feel?

Ponycar2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guar Metallic V6 w 051A pkg and 6spd manual
Some people have said it does but Id really like to know. I feel like all it doe is change the steering feel. I have a 2015 v6 6 speed with the 51A package btw.

thanks everyone
Sponsored

jojojohnny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 3.55 K@N Blackheart AB MPT tune
I makes shifts more sporty. Holds the gear longer and down shifts sooner. Also if you paddle shift in sport mode then only paddle shifts will change gears until you go back to drive. I don't think it changes steering. Could be wrong.

OP
OP

Ponycar2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what does sport mode do to the manual though?

Sponsored

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I makes shifts more sporty. Holds the gear longer and down shifts sooner. Also if you paddle shift in sport mode then only paddle shifts will change gears until you go back to drive. I don't think it changes steering. Could be wrong.
Right, Sport mode using the shifter (S) in an automatic I believe only effects the shifting. Steering is controlled separately.

Some people have said it does but Id really like to know. I feel like all it doe is change the steering feel. I have a 2015 v6 6 speed with the 51A package btw.

thanks everyone
I assume by 6spd you mean a manual. There is no sport mode on manual v6 cars. If you are referring to the 3-mode steering button (sport, comfort, normal), all it effects is steering feel.

I do find it disappointing that these cars (my car anyway) can't even spin the tires if fully engaged in 1st gear, and putting the pedal to the floor. Mine pulls nicely above ~4000rpm, though. 051a package is the way to go with a v6.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
In a manual car, sport mode stiffens the steering and increases pedal response as well as softens the nannies.

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
In a manual car, sport mode stiffens the steering and increases pedal response as well as softens the nannies.
Yes it does, on a GT Premium/PP and Ecoboost. Base V6/GT manual has no sport mode other than steering feel. Double-tapping the traction control button also does nothing. (Well, it turns it off, and back on)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Fastback in Triple Yellow
For auto cars, Sport Mode increases the throttle response, remapping the drive-by-wire gas pedal so that it feels more "touchy" and allows you to apply more power with less pedal travel. In addition, the power steering boost is reduced, making the wheel feel more "heavier" and arguably, more direct. Finally, the shift points are heightened to let the car rev out to higher RPMs and pretty much give the finger to fuel economy in pursuit of taking advantage of the full power band or allowing you to shift the gears yourself with the paddles. These effects, to the best of my knowledge, are common for all current Fords down the line, you can even have a sport mode in an Escape haha.

If you have a stick, the sport button is just the steering boost reduction for V6 and the base GT cars and the whole nanny muzzle for most of the other models (like what DeepImpact said), as you can already control your power with the mighty manual. If you want to spin the tires in a stick (I know you might know this already but for reference lol), hold down the "ESC off" button for ~10 seconds to fully defeat the traction control until it says "AdvanceTrac Off," build your revs, and dump the clutch into first. The stock Hancooks give pretty quickly and you can have a little bit of (naughty and illegal) fun!

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6

If you have a stick, the sport button is just the steering boost reduction, as you can already control your power with the mighty manual. If you want to spin the tires in a stick (I know you might know this already but for reference lol), hold down the "ESC off" button for ~10 seconds to fully defeat the traction control until it says "AdvanceTrac Off," build your revs, and dump the clutch into first. The stock Hancooks give pretty quickly and you can have a little bit of (naughty and illegal) fun!
Yes I am aware dumping the clutch, or hard launching ~4k will spin the tires, but the engine just doesn't make enough low end torque to spin the tires after being fully engaged in 1st gear (coasting) at any RPM, and going WOT. TCS on or off (long press) makes no difference here. Even my 260hp 99 GT could spin the tires at the top of 1st gear. Maybe something like a JMS pedalmax would help, but I'm not spending $300 for something that simply opens the throttle blade faster.

051A package gives me 18" Goodyear Eagle F1's. Maybe that's part of the problem (too sticky).

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it does, on a GT Premium/PP and Ecoboost. Base V6/GT manual has no sport mode other than steering feel. Double-tapping the traction control button also does nothing. (Well, it turns it off, and back on)
On the GT double tapping does turn on Advancetrac sport mode. The V6 sadly does not get this feature.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
What sport mode are you talking about? Theres the bottom next to the traction control. that one makes the steering feel stiffer. then theres gear shifter sport mode which makes the throttle response more responsive and i believe changes the shift points.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Yes I am aware dumping the clutch, or hard launching ~4k will spin the tires, but the engine just doesn't make enough low end torque to spin the tires after being fully engaged in 1st gear (coasting) at any RPM, and going WOT. TCS on or off (long press) makes no difference here. Even my 260hp 99 GT could spin the tires at the top of 1st gear. Maybe something like a JMS pedalmax would help, but I'm not spending $300 for something that simply opens the throttle blade faster.

051A package gives me 18" Goodyear Eagle F1's. Maybe that's part of the problem (too sticky).
Thats the terrible stock tune. It pulls power out in first gear. Get a sct x4, mpt tune. Night and day difference. Also...these 3.7s are high rpm motors...they wont make the low and midrange tq you get with a v8, so its gunna be hard to spin the tires in a 1st gear roll. When i launch at 3200rpm, it pretty much spins through 1st gear and i have 285s. Get the mpt tune...you will not be sorry

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
After read all the above about the V6 M/T I feel sorry for you guys. My 2015 V6 051A, Premium, Auto, 3.15 gears, 18" Foundry wheels, Goodyear F1 Eagles rated W. I have control over the steering button (sport), Traction control (off) and Paddle shifting at 7200 rpm's. I can power brake to 3000 rpm's let off smoke the tires and shift 1st to 2nd at 6000 rpm's and get a good chirp and a small chirp in 3rd. 30 to 100 under 7 seconds. Not interested 0 to 60, more to road racing.

K&N drop in filter (stock box)
SCTx4 93 tune, (shifting firmness +25%)
JMS PedalMAX
SK Throttle spacer
JLT oil separator
Ford Racing Shock Tower cross brace

OP
OP

Ponycar2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my car with MT going about 65mph in 3rd I can shift hard to 4th gear with TC on and bark the tires. Pretty impressive for a v6.

I'm not seeing any concrete evidence on how sport mode changes anything besides steering feel if I have a manual.
Sponsored