Anyone Want to Buy an AC Cobra?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Saw this today in a local interior design store. They do sell a lot of eclectic stuff. Not a true original but it doesn't have a seven figure price tag either. It can be your for the moderate sum of $180,000. PM me if you have any interest.

IMG_3125.jpeg

IMG_3126.jpeg

IMG_3127.jpeg

IMG_3129.jpeg

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3128.jpeg
Sponsored

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
Looks nice. Love the color combo

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
$180K is all the money in the world for that car since it's not a real one. Even a Shelby-built continuation Cobra will go for less. Frankly, they're nuts.

I looked at this Superformance over the weekend, complete with an alloy block/head 427 FE. As correct as a replica can be. Asking price: $94K. Alas, a deal could not be reached, absolutely gorgeous car.

PXL_20210911_141157392.jpg

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
$180K is all the money in the world for that car since it's not a real one. Even a Shelby-built continuation Cobra will go for less. Frankly, they're nuts.

I looked at this Superformance over the weekend, complete with an alloy block/head 427 FE. As correct as a replica can be. Asking price: $94K. Alas, a deal could not be reached, absolutely gorgeous car.

Dave it is a real one. Not totally original obviously but the chassis and body are.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Nah, I beg to differ.

Real '60s Cobras built by Shelby American had aluminum bodies, first of all. The VIN is another dead giveaway. Real Cobras will bear a simple VIN plate with the VIN starting with CSX, followed by a 4-digit number.

Get a picture of the full VIN plate (a corner of which is visible in the one pic), which will tell the real tale. At best, it's likely an AutoKraft or variant thereof. Or one of the many other replicas.

Below is the interior of the Superformance pictured above. It is a spitting image of an original, down to the proper Smiths gauges and counterclockwise speedo, switchgear, steering wheel, shifter, and lap belts. Note that it's a tad different than pictured above...

PXL_20210911_142046296.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Nah, I beg to differ.

Real '60s Cobras built by Shelby American had aluminum bodies, first of all. The VIN is another dead giveaway. Real Cobras will bear a simple VIN plate with the VIN starting with CSX, followed by a 4-digit number.

Get a picture of the full VIN plate (a corner of which is visible in the one pic), which will tell the real tale. At best, it's likely an AutoKraft or variant thereof. Or one of the many other replicas.

Below is the interior of the Superformance pictured above. It is a spitting image of an original, down to the proper Smiths gauges and counterclockwise speedo, switchgear, steering wheel, shifter, and lap belts. Note that it's a tad different than pictured above...

PXL_20210911_142046296.jpg
Gotcha. This isn’t a Shelby nor is it being sold as one. It’s a 65’ AC Cobra.

Here is a link to the store that is displaying it.

https://manifestdesigninteriors.com/come-see-our-rare-65-cobra-on-display/

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Fun fact: many replicas are titled as mid-'60s Cobras. I think the Factory Five my brother owns might be. I'm not sure how this occurs exactly, but if you're investigating one of these for purchase it's good to know.

The car pictured would be a blast as these things are, but I highly doubt it or any portion of it is a legit '65 Cobra (they never carried any Jaguar running gear whatsoever). As I said, I'd love to see that chassis tag.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Fun fact: many replicas are titled as mid-'60s Cobras. I think the Factory Five my brother owns might be. I'm not sure how this occurs exactly, but if you're investigating one of these for purchase it's good to know.

The car pictured would be a blast as these things are, but I highly doubt it or any portion of it is a legit '65 Cobra (they never carried any Jaguar running gear whatsoever). As I said, I'd love to see that chassis tag.
I'll try and get it next time I'm in the area. I'm interested as well.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So to clear a few things - although a nice looking Cobra, it's not a "real" Cobra by AC or Shelby.

The AC Ace (circa 1953-1958) was the original design of AC Cars (Auto Carriers, Ltd). It always had an aluminum body and never fiberglass. The AC Ace became the AC Cobra only after Carrol Shelby approached AC in 1961 and wanted to put a V8 into it. Even prior to Shelby's presence and after, the car was always an aluminum bodied shell over tubular frame.

The car in question at that consignment store has a fiberglass shell, is a kit car by all means and is not an original "AC Ace", "AC Cobra", or Shelby Cobra.

If it's a genuine Shelby Cobra from the 60's OR one of the later Continuation Cobras - they all have aluminum bodies and specific Shelby VIN plates with the "CSX" designator. Can the plate be faked? Sure it can, but there's other ways of being able to tell a genuine AC or Cobra from a fake.

Original AC Ace's also have specific VINs, starting with "BEX". Again VIN plate forgeries can happen, but there's ways of confirming the real deal from the fakes.

That kit Cobra in that consignment shop, IF it's an "England" produced kit car, maybe it's one from Pilgrim Motorsports, UK or AK Sports Cars, UK. That begs to question why anyone in the US would import such a kit car like it, when there are several Cobra kit companies here that make fine examples (Factory Five being one of the best fiberglass replicas).

Superformance Cobra Kit cars are out of South Africa and are THE best "replicas" in the world - because it's almost a near exact replica of the Shelby Cobra. The frames are hand built like the original Cobra to the exact specs of the original. These Cobras are Authorized, Licensed, and Endorsed by Shelby Licensing. This Company also had Carrol Shelby's blessing when he was alive...

I can see why someone would want to buy and import a Superformance kit, as they are the best in the industry:
https://www.superformance.com/factory

The car at the consignment shop does not look like a Superformance Cobra at all.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
$180K is nuts for a fiberglass small block replica. Maybe $40K.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Beautiful car - lotta money for a toy.

Will the back of your shoulders and upper thoracic spine bang up against the edge of the body in front of the roll bar? Will your head bang up against the roll bar?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Beautiful car - lotta money for a toy.

Will the back of your shoulders and upper thoracic spine bang up against the edge of the body in front of the roll bar? Will your head bang up against the roll bar?
I suspect it wouldn't be a great place to be for any long period of time. Not sure about the roll bar part, seemed OK. I'm 6'-1" and built like a linebacker but it was better than I expected to sit in. Still, I suspect comfort might be why it hasn't even logged 1,300 miles over two owners. That and its unruly nature.

It would be a riot, but a ton of money for a toy as you say. I should go back before it sells and record a cold startup for a ringtone.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Factory Five cars are titled and registered as 1965 Roadster. (Last I checked or heard)

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
That looks like a kit car, It also looks like someone needed a place to store it, and it really isn't for sale unless someone offers stupid money for it.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
As has been said, this car is not a real Shelby Cobra and is not worth anything close to $180K. Thats the approximate price of an aluminum bodied Shelby built continuation car with a 427FE. OBTW each state has its own titling rules. My cobra replica ended up being titled the year i built it not a 1965/66.
Sponsored