Sponsored

Anyone use drag radials in cold weather?

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
  • Banned
It's been a very tame winter here in Maryland so I've been itching to put the radials back on. It takes me like 10mins just to take my wheels downstairs as I live in an apt and however long it takes my buddy to bring his jack over. So if I'm going to swap them it'd be for the foreseeable future unless we get snow.

Basically, is it a terrible idea to have radials sitting outside and driving on them in 30-50 degree weather? Maybe once or twice it'll hit the teens again at night this month.
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Anything below 50° is iffy as competition tire rubber becomes very hard under cold temperatures.

When the temperatures drop into the teens you run the risk of cracking the rubber, especially if the vehicle is moved. It may be best to wait until the temperatures are consistently higher before installation.

Redemptory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6SPD Magnetic Metallic
Wouldn't recommend you do. It's gonna be like you're driving on ice, and you risk cracking your tires as they have almost no flexibility during cold weather.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I use MH racemasters in Florida, and they still hook a hell of a lot better than a normal summer tire. I havent used them below like 48-50* though. I dont think id do it in maryland

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I've ran 555r's down to about 30 degrees with no noticeable tire damage, but traction is worthless. No way I'd run them or even let them sit in temps below this.
Sponsored