Sponsored

Anyone switch from Charger to Mustang?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I didn’t exactly switch... but yeah had the Charger first. Had a 2013 5.7 before this 6.4.

They are both great road cars. It’s super comfortable, lots of amenities, and maintenance is oil changes, tire rotations and air filters.

There’s really no comparison to my R but the 392 has a higher top speed (gearing).

I daily the 392, it’s great to daily sans the fuel. On the highway at night you get the road to yourself because people rarely approach you (tail lights).

If it wasn’t such an obscene waste of gas having a 6.4l and 5.2l I’d buy another 392 when this one is retired.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
You guys have all described my setbacks with the mustang and also similar situations about a daily driver.

I love driving the stang around town by myself. However, when it comes to enjoying it with the rest of the family is where it comes short. I've done some research since I posted this thread. I've also done some soul searching and bottom line, I'm upset with myself. Why can't I be selfish? Why can't I just not give a f...? I realized I need a swiss army knife. I've always owned the swiss army knife of a car. This time with the Mustang I figured it was my time but look at me now. I truly feel like Nicolas Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds. It's that unicorn I can't keep.

I researched a daily driver but that's just adding at least another $300 a month for a slightly used CPO car. Instead of adding this additional cost, I may go Charger Daytona 392, Durango RT or SRT, or Audi A4/S4. In the meantime, I'll keep fighting the urge to trade my car.

One other thing, I have to do that 12hr drive each way again this weekend in the wife's hybrid. As much as I know it'll do fine, it's not my preferred car. I really wish it was something more exciting.

I may need counseling. :headbonk:
If you can only have one car and need the back seat, Charger with the 392. I’d sell the Mustang and get that. Still fun to drive and serious power and they sound awesome. And plenty of comfort.

OP
OP
Vato

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve negotiated a price on a brand new scat pack 392 destroyer gray. It looks like they’re being very aggressive on the price. I’m basically trading cars with them with no money down and very similar car payment. It’s only changing $50.

Now that I know this is possible, I’m beginning to really assess if this is what I want to do. Do I want to give up a Saleen? Will I regret going Charger like my Wife says? The only person having issues is me. The wife for the first time is talking me out of trading in the stang. The rest of the family thinks I’m crazy.

On the test drive, that 392 is a beast. The 245’s out back are a joke. The pluses on the charger are, sunglass holder, garage door opener, spacious back seat, 2 extra doors, brembo brakes all around, huge trunk, no stress about caring for a limited production car, I can still do a track day in it, and I can rock the family on road trips.

A question for you Mopar guys, is that MDS annoying like some of the vids mention? I had something similar to that in an accord and it bothered me but not enough to get rid of it for that.

Gen_Nick3.8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Camaro SS 1LE
I just went on a road trip with part of my family. I gave them the option of the mustang or moms Camry hybrid. They, my wife and daughter chose her hybrid. I was a little bummed because for once since I got rid of my Tundra, they chose moms car. This is bothering me.

My wife is leasing a 2016 Camry hybrid SE. The thing doesn’t look bad at all but driving it in the city is garbage. However, driving it on the freeway, was impressive. It shows its Sport Edition on the highway. It handles very well for truck height. The electric motor kicks in when you need to overtake someone and almost seems like instant turbo push. It doesn’t sound great when you’re stressing the 4cyl motor but it does move. This is my second road trip and it confirmed my first road trip was just as fun. Anyway, I can keep talking about how I like this car for road trips but the truth is I really don’t think I could keep it as a daily.

I would keep a Charger Daytona 392 as a daily and road trip ride. I need input from those guys who switched from Charger to a mustang. Why did you switch? Would you go back to a charger? Why wouldn’t you go back to a charger? Was it a good road trip car? Anything else you can add that is important about a charger too. Thx
I have a Charger R/T and its the worst car iv'e ever owned also the slowest from factory. I hate everything about the car except that people think im a cop and move out of my way. I will be buying a 2019 Mustang GT PP2 taking a 5k loss on my charger.

Sponsored

Deleted member 33561

The Charger and Mustang are two really different cars so there is no comparison. They are built for two different purposes.
The MDS can be turned off with a tune. I actually missed it when I Supercharged my Scatpack (only 6/7 psi). It got 27 mpg on the hwy before the supercharger, then it went to 23 (70mph cruise control on) Yeah 23 mpg with a car that does 11.2 in the quarter is not bad. I prefer the 8 speed over the new Mustang 10 speed. The third overdrive is not necessary.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The Charger 392’s are awesome cars with awesome motor and trans. Very comfy with high performance and a useable back seat lol. If you don’t want the MDS to engage while cruising just put it in Sport Mode and it won’t come on. Also the 245’s are very undersized for that car, heck the 275’s on my 392 could use a 305 in the rear. It comes down to what your want and need is.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I can't imagine trading in a Saleen on a factory Charger because your kid likes to ride in the Camry more. It's kinda weird, beta male actually, because what other people think about your car shouldn't matter.

It's about what you want. What other people think is immaterial.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
2019 charger get some refresh and will have details in June

just slight top grill update and also they say some interior changes

OP
OP
Vato

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine trading in a Saleen on a factory Charger because your kid likes to ride in the Camry more. It's kinda weird, beta male actually, because what other people think about your car shouldn't matter.

It's about what you want. What other people think is immaterial.
I prefer Alpha until someone takes me off that pedestal. Some have tried.

Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
the fact that your Driving a Saleen and thinking about trading in on a Charger says maybe you don't look for the greatest Value, or bang for your buck. I say this because the Saleen will plummet in Value as it's mostly a stick on areo package with a few minor engine tweaks. The Charger's are a dime a dozen, I would recommend you sell the Saleen outright, and pick up a lightly used 392 Charger with say 20k on the clock at a discount. think you'd be thousand ahead at the end of the day. As far as driving goes, it's the difference between (I've owned 3 Challengers- same Chassis- same car really) a Rad-Azz sports machine and basically a supped up and 'muscle car stickered' up Family Sadan. Believe me when i say the Charger handles like hsit. Stickers look pretty though. Goes like hell in a straight line, no doubt, but don't try it in the twisties- :eek:

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Funny - these are the two cars I'm seriously considering now. I'm a life-long Mopar guy, but Mopar doesn't make anything in the same class as the Mustang. Everything Mopar is BIG and HEAVY and a bunch of power won't make a car go around a corner or fit in my garage any better. I'm replacing a small, nimble daily driver, and those characteristics are still valuable to me.

I do have a kid to tote to school, but that's only about a mile once a day and he can suck it up. :) The back seat in the Mustang is pretty much pointless, but could work in a pinch for 3 adult-sized people. For any other family duty, the Mustang seems pretty painful, and driving both boys to their separate schools would suck.

The 392 Scatpack Charger I'm looking at would be great at toting 4 adults plus some luggage, but it still wouldn't be our primary road trip car. Both cars equipped about the same will sticker pretty close, and I can actually find a Charger on the lot within 50 miles from home. There are only 3 Mustangs within 500 miles of me with the equipment I have to have, and two of them are wrong colors. All of them have $1,500-2,500 in other options I don't care about.

In the end, I don't think the ability to easily find a Charger will overcome the size / weight penalty, but I won't know for sure until something is ordered or in the garage. For a fun DD that gets reasonable mileage, I think an EBPP would be really tough to beat. I don't know if there would be any mileage penalty driving a GT vs. the 392, and the Mustang will handle better anywhere but the open road - or with more than two people inside. How often will that be a problem?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If the goal is a fast sedan to DD that you can also hit the twisties in - I’d stay away from the Charger. It’s fast and, contrary to popular belief you can have fun on a twisty road, but it’s heavy and underbraked/tired.

When I had summer rubber on the 392 (275s all the way around) I had a blast on backroads.. but I don’t think I’d have very much fun on a track. Brakes would need an upgrade and the thing would likely try to push through every corner.

But if you’re looking for a fast road car people mover with amenities.. it’s a great option in that price range.

MDS doesn’t bother me around town and on the highway.. but if you upgrade the exhaust it might get annoying sound wise. Someone already mentioned putting it in sport mode. There’s also a feature adder/unlocker called Tazer from Z Automotive - runs about $200 and unlocks SRT features like track mode and valet mode etc along with a lot of other cool stuff. Or you can grab unlock your pcm and Diablo tune it for $500-1000 and remove MDS altogether.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I'll throw out a 3rd option - Taurus SHO with the performance pack. It's got the excellent Ecoboost 3.5, bests the Charger in nearly all metrics (see Michigan state police tests), and they are not popular so it's a conversation piece as well as being cheap.

It doesn't sound as good as a Mustang but it will be a better quality vehicle than any Mopar.

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
I switched from 2018 Daytona charger 392 to 2018 mustang gt premium. My main reason i even had the charger is because i had a baby and needed more space. 1 month after buying charger i found out i was getting stationed away from wife and kids and knew i wanted to go back to a 2 door. I was going to get the 19 camaro with 10 speed but then the pictures came out and i just couldnt do it.

To answer your question, i would never go back to the charger, i never felt connected to that car, i would even drop and rag on the ground and reuse it while washing the car, whih i never ever do. The car just made me feel like i ws riding in a camry or crown Victoria. Know for road trips this car is the shit. Best seats out of all three brands hands down and most adjustable out of all three big brands. Passenger sode seats even have same adjustability as drivers unlike the mustang which i think is bullshit to only give the driver seat lumbar support. The rear seats in the charger are also heated and cooled.the cooling on the charger seats makes the mustang seats see like a joke. The charger Daytona also holds resale value pretty damn good. Read another post of your ibput widened Daytona wheels on my car and 315s and it helped that spinning out at every stop light feeling. You will need them cause that car has torque out the ass

There are mispellings, and i dont care enough to go back and correct them.
Sponsored

Last edited: