Sponsored

Anyone running a Whipple sc on track day car

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt, 2008 Z06
Am considering a Whipple sc for my S550 but worried about having heat problems. Is anybody running this set up?
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You won't find many F/I track Mustangs here. A few have done them, but none "serious" about it. It adds a lot of weight up front, massive heat problems, and poor power delivery for track work.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Interested to hear about the massive heat problems, first I have heard. As for power delivery, I assume you mean the flat torque curve but that could be accounted for with a driving adjustment. If anything, all that torque down low is quite nice.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Interested to hear about the massive heat problems, first I have heard. As for power delivery, I assume you mean the flat torque curve but that could be accounted for with a driving adjustment. If anything, all that torque down low is quite nice.
These cars can have heat problems in stock form. I'm not sure how what I said is not a known quantity. This supercharger question has been brought up a LOT here, and every time, its the same thing. Weight and heat.

Power delivery is the ability to modulate the heaps of tq available at low rpm. Manageable, sure, ideal, hardly.

Roger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah I can't imagine how the diff would respond to the added power....

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
When you take a car designed for X horsepower (and a correlated amount of waste heat), and then you add 50-150% more power, it should be no surprise that you will rapidly overwhelm the stock cooling system. The factory parts are designed for factory heat. On the street you really aren't sustaining those power levels for very long, the track is another story.

I managed to get a Miata to handle an extra 110 hp from a turbo for 15 minute track sessions, and that took a lot. Much bigger radiator, additional oil coolers (factory car had none), and two big loud Spal radiator fans. It barely worked for track use. 110 hp.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
All of the weight hanging on the front end will really hurt the cornering balance

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You won't find many F/I track Mustangs here. A few have done them, but none "serious" about it. It adds a lot of weight up front, massive heat problems, and poor power delivery for track work.
^^^ This.
I did a ton of homework looking into this exact thing. I was tired of getting passed by the big motor cars and dedicated track cars. Glad I didn't! Like most people, once you've tracked your car, your hooked and want to get a little more serious. FI is not the way to go. Lighten up the car, wheels and tires and brakes would be my 1st choice if I had to do it again.

GSLSE20B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 SHADOW BLACK GTPP
Forced induction is great on the track , in balance . My 93 RX7 did great at thunder hill . WHIPPLE is a bit unbalanced for serious track use .

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
There was a Whipple equipped S550 at the track in the green beginner group. He experienced heat issues and the car was not driven hard. Was running a custom tune, not the Whipple tune. Don't know if it would make a difference.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For track use I would not do anything but a centrifugal option (ProCharger, Paxton, Vortech). You'll spend time at higher RPMs on a track car; handling is your goal, not so much power. Honestly, if I was wanting a track day-dedicated Mustang, I'd have the Ecoboost and a tune, without question.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
There was a Whipple equipped S550 at the track in the green beginner group. He experienced heat issues and the car was not driven hard. Was running a custom tune, not the Whipple tune. Don't know if it would make a difference.
There were a few in my (green) group. I couldn't imagine trying to drive one of those on track. Most were setup for the street or quarter mile, though.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
When I went to the Steeda/TrackGuys event @ Sebring this spring none of the blower cars could stay out for a full 20 minute session and ambient never got above about 80 degrees.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Lol it's pretty common knowledge that any real road course guy would extract as much power without forced induction at almost any cost.

As soon as you go turbo or supercharger, reliability and heat management go out the window.

The GT, EB and V6 will all have issues with rear diff temps stock. Unless you planned to do a diff cooler, massive radiator with water wetter, oil cooler and a trans cooler I wouldn't bother.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
If i do FI, it would be centri or under car turbo. I'm NA and overheated before the hellcat, ZLI and ZO6's in a high 90 high humidity day in August. Got the check engine light and came off the track to see CHT at 248 and the engine light had turned off before I came to a stop in the pits (no idea how high it had gotten). The factory supercharged cars were able to handle it. I assume their cars have the extras to support it, oil coolers, diff coolers etc. It still kind of bugged me that N/A I overheated first.

Going to do some cooling Mods first, like changing hood and other airflow management, before revisiting the FI options. I've seen where guys make it work with proper tunes
Sponsored