Sponsored

Anyone ever try both Borla Touring and Borla S catback on their S550? Questions...

DPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I had the Touring first, and really liked it. From a sound quality perspective, I still think it's one of the best out there. However, it just wasn't quite loud enough for me. Called Borla and they sent me an X-pipe to turn my system into an S-type. Notably louder, more aggressive, and a little raspy. Most of the time I love it, but it does border on too loud at times; it doesn't drone at speed that I notice, but there's just more volume. My car also has a subframe lockout and stiffer diff bushings, so I get the pleasure of diff whine at certain speeds as well.

I can live with it as the Mustang is a second car and is driven for fun and occasionally solo road trips. But if it was my daily, I'd probably switch back to the Touring. That said, it brings me great joy at full throttle, maniacal laughter in tunnels, the idle is super deep and awesome, and my sons really like it, so I'll keep the loud version on.

IMO the Touring is what a Performance Pack GT should sound like from the factory. The S-type won't be mistaken for anything factory.

And I assume you know this, but if you get the S-type and it's too much, you can get Borla to make you a Touring center muffler for a couple hundred bucks (I assume) and it swaps right in for the X-pipe. It's a modular system.

I'm 43, just FYI, and am generally fairly low key.
Sponsored

OP
OP

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I wound up buying the s type and installed it Friday night. From the quick drive around the neighborhood, it is louder, but not megaloud. The neighbors definitely heard me roaring up the street (they told me, lol), but as a matter of practice, i'll keep the revs down and stay off the gas as much as I can when going to work in the mornings.

It definitely is a rich sound and I can hear it from inside the car a lot more, but I'm loving it. Can't wait to jump on the highway heading to work tomorrow.