Sponsored

Anyone ever try both Borla Touring and Borla S catback on their S550? Questions...

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I know there is so much subjectivity when it comes to exhaust. Loud to one person is not loud to another. Still, I am curious if anyone wound up trying both Borla Touring and Borla S (cat back versions) on their cars (either because they found Touring too soft or the S too loud) and would like to get their impressions.

I just ordered the S catback yesterday for my 2017 California special. My gut is telling me that it will be a little louder than I want but that the touring would be too soft. I'm trying to figure out whether to try to change my order.

My primary concern is disturbing the neighbors, especially cold start in the morning. Also, We all know stock exhaust is unacceptable for a mustang, and while the touring sounds good, it just doesn't sound loud enough, at least in the vids. At the same time, I don't want incredibly loud. Any perspectives are appreciated (and again, not trashing either product. They both seem to be amazing).
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I've got the Borla S-type mufflers with an X-pipe.

The car is perfect in my opinion...which is this:

1. Nice aggressive cold start...but not so much that you'll feel like you're trying too hard to get noticed. Just sounds nice and authoritative. I smile every time I start my car.
2. No drone while cruising...if you're light on the throttle, it will blend into the back ground. Nice and mild.
3. If you accelerate aggressively the exhaust tone matches your aggression with a loud and aggressive roar. Its loud enough to scare some people as you drive past them. Or piss them off if they are in a Prius. Which is kinda fun if you're in an ornery mood? But, we need more love in the world...so I try not to be an a$$.
4. During moderate acceleration, you'll always know you've got a Coyote 5.0L under the hood. I drive with the music off a lot just to enjoy the American Muscle melody. I get complements quite often.

I'm very happy with my set up. I'd buy it again.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I bought the s type catback originally but I ultimately bought the resonator too. I switch back and forth; the only complaint I have about the x pipe is that it makes the car sound raspy, but the resonator makes the car too quiet. I prefer to be obnoxious most of the time, so the x pipe stays on primarily.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had the type s catback and it was loud. It was louder than I expected for sure and will wake the neighbors on cold starts as this exhaust gets raspy fast/early (2800 rpm and up). I ended up with AWE Switchpath and it is loud also, but more of the deep throaty tone with less rasp. I like that I can go louder by switching the valves on it when I want to.
[MENTION=22579]TexasRebel[/MENTION] is right, maybe an active option is better? There is a DIY guide for it on the forums somewhere or you can go the expensive route and go with a Roush exhaust which has 3 stages.

Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I'm currently waiting for my borla atak with active exhaust to arrive, they said since it's a new product it'll take 3-5 weeks to get it out.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I think you might be bored if you go with the touring mufflers? I know I would.

I vote you stick with the S-type. It's really not that loud.

search youtube "cjponyparts borla s-type" for some good sound clips.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Touring and think it is perfect. If you are a little older/mature and want a tasteful, low muscle car sound that sounds good all the time I highly recommend it.
I have found other exhaust systems without the resonator to be too loud in the cabin.
Not drone per say but volume

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I have the Touring and think it is perfect. If you are a little older/mature and want a tasteful, low muscle car sound that sounds good all the time I highly recommend it.
I have found other exhaust systems without the resonator to be too loud in the cabin.
Not drone per say but volume
I also have the Borla Touring cat-back.
Deep, muscular sound...but not obnoxious.
Definitely does not sound anywhere near stock.
No drone ever.
And no rasp!!
The resonated h-pipe is the key component of this system.

Remote cold starts just make me smile.

Sponsored
OP
OP

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
alarm clock? Yikes. I know loudness is subjective to some degree, so hopefully it won't be too bad for the neighbors, heh. Given some of what I read about the touring, part of me considered changing my order, but my order has already shipped as of this afternoon, heh. . Guess I'll be finding out one way or the other about the loudness of the S.

I really appreciate all the responses.

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
S-Type with resonated X-pipe here, no issues with neighbors whatsoever. It's quieter than Roush AB.

ako12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
I had both. For daily driving S-type is for me much was too loud. Touring is acceptable, noticeable louder than stock but nice low rumble. Only bad think is some amount of drone especially on 6 gear about 2100 rpm.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The S type isn't that loud on a dB meter compared to a lot of options, it's right in the middle, but it's got a very rich baritone that is easily heard. Once you remove the sound tube, it's not too loud inside the car and doesn't drone, although had noticeable tone at speed.

mxdave91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt premium w/PP
I bought the touring system and thought it was too quiet. Then I installed catless long tubes and they definitely woke it up. I still felt like I wanted a hair louder, however, and so I bought the x pipe to replace the touring resonator. With the x pipe, I loved the sound at idle and wide open, but under normal acceleration, there was terrible rasp, which almost sounded like a glass pack on a late 70's chevy pickup. Borla informed me that with headers, you really need to buy the 3" S-type (which was specifically designed to work with headers), and that the rasp was because of me running the 2.5" system with headers. I just put the borla touring back on, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. No worries about waking neighbors on cold start, and still sounds powerful when you get on it. I figure it should get a hair louder as it breaks in as well, as the resonator and muffler both use sound dampening matting which will not absorb sound as much once it gets carboned up. Really though, I'd like to have something in between the touring and the S-type.
Sponsored