Sponsored

Anyone else was the victim of their failing break light switch pad?

v1j2j3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Conv
Howdy everyone. I have a 2015 Mustang V6 Convertible right after I start working, and I love my very first car. Last summer its brake light switch pad broke into pieces while I was driving. Suddenly I could only accelerate for 2 seconds when I step on gas, and I also noticed my brake light never stops even after I turned my car off. Luckily my dad is a car mechanic, and he told me it's a common problem for cars in 90s. He was surprised that a car would have such problem in the 21 century. He put a screw there for quick fix and ask me to get the small pad ordered asap. And here's the crazy part.

Ford dealership doesn't sell that part alone, and the whole brake pad assembly costs about $200. It was a very frustrating moment. My dad was concerned a metal screw might be too hard for brake switch since the job is performed by plastic piece, so he starts look for replacements. He found Autozone has something might be a good fit, but they don't sell it anymore. After checking car models listed, we found Toyota has a similar pad. I run to a Toyota dealer and got the piece I need. It's slightly wider but gets the job done. The piece cost no more than $5, yet car dealership has the balls to charge me 20 times more. I have mixed feelings for Ford now. My dad just loves Japanese design.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yes, there have been a few other threads where people akso reported the brake switch pad breaking and causing the brake lights to be on all the time, which causes a big lack of engine power.

The reason the car won't accelerate when this hapoens is because the throttle is over-ridden by the brakes. The car thinks the brake pedal is being pushed at the same time as the gas pedal. Remember the "runaway Toyota" fiasco? That's why all modern cars have the throttle over-ride by the brakes, thereby basically cutting engine power down to nothing.

The brake switch pad breaking and causing this problem is actually dangerous. What if this hapoened when you needed to accelerate to pass, or get quickly out if a bad situation.

People should report it to the NHTSA. Ford needs to be forced to do a safety recall and replace the brake switch pad with something that doesn't crack and fall out of the brake pedal and causing no engine power when trying to accelerate.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP

v1j2j3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Conv
Yes, there have been a few other threads where people akso reported the brake switch pad breaking and causing the brake lights to be on all the time, which causes a big lack of engine power.

The reason the car won't accelerate when this hapoens is because the throttle is over-ridden by the brakes. The car thinks the brake pedal is being pushed at the same time as the gas pedal. Remember the "runaway Toyota" fiasco? That's why all modern cars have the throttle over-ride by the brakes, thereby basically cutting engine power down to nothing.

The brake switch pad breaking and causing this problem is actually dangerous. What if this hapoened when you needed to accelerate to pass, or get quickly out if a bad situation.

People should report it to the NHTSA. Ford needs to be forced to do a safety recall and replace the brake switch pad with something that doesn't crack and fall out of the brake pedal and causing no engine power when trying to accelerate.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/
That's what I am going to do. I wonder if this could be a lawsuit. I could have been killed if I was on highway.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That's what I am going to do. I wonder if this could be a lawsuit. I could have been killed if I was on highway.
Yep, definitely report it to the NHTSA, and stress the fact that this can become a dangerous situation while driving.

The NHTSA can force Ford to do a safety recall on this. All Ford has to do is come out with a replacement part that isn't going to crack and fall out over time. Ford is using some junk material for this little plastic pad.
Sponsored