Sponsored

Anyone Due To Take Their Front End Off (Or Have A Front Bumper Bar Off The Car) ?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I have a little project on the go, and I am hoping someone can help with regards to a few basic photos and measurements, or even a paper template taken from the standard front bumper bar ?

I’ve started my request in the U.K. forum, as I ideally need the info taking from a car with both the front towing eye and the active cruise control - any 2018 / facelift euro spec car would be perfect :like:

Pending responses and as time goes on, I might have to open my request up to the other ‘euro’ sections, and if that fails, maybe even the Mach section (for the towing eye detail) and the general USDM section (active cruise control cars).

I don’t thinks Shelby’s are of any use for this, I’m not sure if they have active cruise control, but they defo have an ally bumper bar (sorry M1 guys), so I wouldn’t like to trust the info I’m after as being directly comparable to the steel bumper bar found on all other variants.

Here’s hoping someone can help me …🤞

Cheers,

WD :like:
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure my front bumper bar, minus the toe eye, is in my garage. So depends what measurements you need ?

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure my front bumper bar, minus the toe eye, is in my garage. So depends what measurements you need ?
Well this is a good start, and the trickiest part of the info I need … :like:

Although yours isn’t an active cruise car (apologies if I am wrong), it may still have the mounts in the underside of the bumper bar that accepts the radar box.

If you could take a photo of the underside of the bar in the region of the left mount, that would be good enough for us to confirm if what you have could help :like:

Just to be clear, this is the radar box hanging just under the bar (my car) :

1701128748320.jpeg

And it mounts underneath the bar with two bolts and a (redundant) leg (not my car) :

1701128850542.jpeg

If your bumper bar has the holes to take the two bolts, I have a cunning plan with a high tech paper template … :giggle:

Cheers,

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have that sensor.

I've had a look in the garage and can only see the rear bumper so far. It's 1950's garage that's too small for cars so it full up with crap and could still be hiding in there somewhere.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've just found this picture on the forum :

1701351458027.png

That shows the left mount :

1701350881439.png

Which suggests that even cars without the radar have the mounting holes, but without the clip nuts fitted, or the radar box mounted.

Clip nut :

1701351034929.png

Once I suspected those were used and knew what to look for, it can be seen here on the right mount sandwiched under the bracket :

1701351291805.png

So, now I just need someone with a bumper bar off the car, which has those holes, that's prepared to do me a favour and help we out with a cardboard / paper template ... :wink:

If it helps, I can even send a semi made template, that would just need those two hole positions marking on it, and then returning to me :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang
I've just found this picture on the forum :

1701351458027.png

That shows the left mount :

1701350881439.png

Which suggests that even cars without the radar have the mounting holes, but without the clip nuts fitted, or the radar box mounted.

Clip nut :

1701351034929.png

Once I suspected those were used and knew what to look for, it can be seen here on the right mount sandwiched under the bracket :

1701351291805.png

So, now I just need someone with a bumper bar off the car, which has those holes, that's prepared to do me a favour and help we out with a cardboard / paper template ... :wink:

If it helps, I can even send a semi made template, that would just need those two hole positions marking on it, and then returning to me :like:

Thats @Flyhalf car and i think his front end is off more than on lol, so he may be able to help.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick nudge - any help appreciated :like:

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I owe a real big thank you, and a favour (or two) to @Biggsy from across the pond :sunglasses:

After I provided some high quality (not … :giggle:) hand sketches, Warren provided some missing dimensions that I requested, then using them and the Steeda crash bar, I came up with this paper design :

1705360471792.jpeg

Folded template :

1705361045927.jpeg

Plan view of the target bolt locations :

1705360520750.jpeg

Brace in position (ignore the perspective and strange shadows) :

1705360713598.jpeg

Then with the paper template in position, the outermost / rearmost mounting target sits right in the middle of the adjustment slot :

1705360840354.jpeg

As does the innermost / forward most target :

1705360912202.jpeg

I’ve slotted the mount holes so I can allow for a little tolerance with :
  • Bolt hole centres of the radar box mount.
  • Vertical alignment / rotation (relative to the floor) of the new bracket.
  • Rotation (relative to the axles)
Rotation relative to the horizon is adjusted by the standard radar box mount.

So I’m hoping I can consider this side of the crash bar mount finished, and I can now move onto the towing eye mount.

The towing eye mount (if I bother with it at all … ?) should be an easier / quicker design - if I can find someone with a euro / M1 with a bumper cover off the car.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
WD Pro