Sponsored

Anyone done a Magnum XL swap on a GT350? What did you do for TFT?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I'm beyond frustrated with some of my build.

I finally tracked down the "TFT" (transmission fluid temperature) sensor and after taking a risk it was the wrong part (lookup the part number and it's improperly labeled as the VSS).

I've bought a 1/2 NPT to 1/8 NPT plug adapter to use the sensor in the drain plug, but the thread pitch on the sensor is different (visibly rougher thread pitch) than 1/8 NPT.

What am I missing here and why can't I find any discussions about this on the interwebs? For those that made this swap, what did you do for Trans Temp information?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Try looking for a metric to NPT pipe thread adapter. Yes they do make a metric pipe thread. Since everything on modern cars is metric, chances are this is too.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I doubt the TFT sensor has a pipe thread. On the 3160, the sensor may not even see fluid just as the CHT doesn't.

Just get a brass 1/2" NPT plug (if that's the right pitch for the transmission) then drill and tap the closed end for the sensor thread.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So I'm beyond frustrated with some of my build.

I finally tracked down the "TFT" (transmission fluid temperature) sensor and after taking a risk it was the wrong part (lookup the part number and it's improperly labeled as the VSS).

I've bought a 1/2 NPT to 1/8 NPT plug adapter to use the sensor in the drain plug, but the thread pitch on the sensor is different (visibly rougher thread pitch) than 1/8 NPT.

What am I missing here and why can't I find any discussions about this on the interwebs? For those that made this swap, what did you do for Trans Temp information?
The drain and fill plugs on the 3160 are both 1/2 NPT. If the Magnum threads are the same, that's great. However, the sensor is likely a different thread, and there's no guarantee it's even a tapered pipe thread. It's more likely a straight thread with a sealing ring or o-ring. So, do what you have to do to figure out the thread on the sensor, install whatever seals it needs on an adapter and bung it into your Magnum with whatever threads needed to make it fit.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Agree with everything you guys are saying. My question/concern is now, am I the first one doing this? I get that running my coolers is unique on the magnum, but surely others who've swapped aren't running it without temp information?

I verified the sensor is M10. So I've had to order a 1/2 NPT male to M10 plug adapter. I'm going to run it in the drain port so it sees consistent fluid coverage.

This is the second thread issue I've run into. The first being the new style oil filter assembly. You'd think Ford would use the same sensor. Nope. Different sensor. You'd think okay, Different sensor but gotta be the same threads and the same connector. Nope on both counts. So the only real option is to bite the bullet and swap the connector on the harness with the one supplied in the kit. (Which to do properly means soldering, heat shrinking, heat shielding because of how close it is to the header, etc. It was a real joy, all because some uckfwad engineer decided the sensor should be totally different.

I'm just bitching, but I'm curious why no one else has run into this or if there isn't a simpler solution I'm missing.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The simple answer is as to why this isn't common info - not many people would replace the stock unit with a magnum. Those that do are probably after some higher HP numbers and will likely give up the coolers because 800hp and road race don't commonly go hand and hand :)

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The simple answer is as to why this isn't common info - not many people would replace the stock unit with a magnum. Those that do are probably after some higher HP numbers and will likely give up the coolers because 800hp and road race don't commonly go hand and hand :)
Agreed, but external cooling and keeping track of trans Temps are 2 separate features. I understand that most don't run external coolers with the swap. But I'd think it would compel monitoring Temps even that much more.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Agreed, but external cooling and keeping track of trans Temps are 2 separate features. I understand that most don't run external coolers with the swap. But I'd think it would compel monitoring Temps even that much more.
I like technology and I'd likely want to know the temps as well...but keep in mind, we ran these transmissions for years and years without trans temp sensors.