Sponsored

Anyone change downpipe but no tune?

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
While I know things are always better with a tune I am trying to hold on to the warranty a little longer. Anyone had any issues with check engine lights or engine running lean when swapping the downpipe out but not doing a tune?
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
There are some manufactures that claim their catted downpipe does not require a tune. But changing a downpipe without a tune can sometimes cause overboost, which if the computer cannot compensate for with the stock tune, you could be in trouble. Now some people have done it and they say they have been fine, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Plus a tune can unlock more power of the downpipe, plus the tune itself. If you want to hold on to the warranty, just get the FP tune and an intercooler.

OP
OP

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
yeah... if Ford could get their CARB stuff approved they could get the tune out for the 2018. Still waiting on that and of this morning the answer from Ford is "soon".

Have thought about flashing Cobb stage 1 as a safety till the FP tune comes out. Again.. trying to hold on to the warranty a littler longer.. only have 5k miles on the car. Yeah I know.. live a little and I am all in on that, but Cobb had not even added the custom features to the 2018 tune so there must be something about the system that is a lot different.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Shoot, sorry didnt read you had a 2018. I had 15k miles on mine before FP released the tunes for the 2016. I would say just be patient if you are concerned about warranty. Throw on an intercooler and exhaust for the time being.
Sponsored