Sponsored

Downpipe with no tune - Loss of low end torque?

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
I just finished installing my CP-E intercooler and Ebay (ATP?) downpipe. Took it out for a spin, and I immediately notice the loss of torque in low RPM. Under WOT it is definitely faster though! Also, the car sounds like semi truck with the turbo noise. Is this normal for a downpipe to reduce the low RPM torque?

Also, the EBAY (ATP Copy?) Downpipe fit perfectly, and was easy to install. I ordered a o2 extender, so no CEL so far. I know I need a tune, but the car only has 1800 miles, so still nervous about the warranty stuff. I could easily remove the downpipe if I had to take it in..
Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I did cp-e's intercooler and catted DP at the same time. I was already tuned and really didn't notice any difference...maybe a tad better throttle response. Then had Torrie at Unleashed revise the tune for these mods...WHOA! This this pulls like a freight train compared to before, really opened up the upper RPM range where she kinda fell flat after 5500. Totally different car! You gotta tune for those mods for sure.

OP
OP

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
I did cp-e's intercooler and catted DP at the same time. I was already tuned and really didn't notice any difference...maybe a tad better throttle response. Then had Torrie at Unleashed revise the tune for these mods...WHOA! This this pulls like a freight train compared to before, really opened up the upper RPM range where she kinda fell flat after 5500. Totally different car! You gotta tune for those mods for sure.
Untuned I can tell a huge difference in high rpms, but I no longer have that low RPM twist. Definitely can't wait for a tune, but I'll probably drive like this for a little while.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
To answer your question: I've read others loosing some low end torque when replacing stock DP. I didn't notice any losses. After tuning there have been nothing but torque gains, big time. Peak torque comes on sooner and pulls hard well over 6000 rpm.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Stock ECU doesn't know how to cope is my guess. Loss of backpressure after the turbo is always a good thing.

Sponsored

BrewCityBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BrewCityBOOST Mustang
i havent seen loss with the Krona turboback on the dyno, actually didnt see any appreciable torque gains though at all. What we did see though is an extra 20whp up top while on the stock tune. Adding any good free flowing exhaust like Krona Performance should see similar results.

Increaseing flow like this is going to have a more significant impacts on upper rpm hp than low end tq.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I just finished installing my CP-E intercooler and Ebay (ATP?) downpipe. Took it out for a spin, and I immediately notice the loss of torque in low RPM. Under WOT it is definitely faster though! Also, the car sounds like semi truck with the turbo noise. Is this normal for a downpipe to reduce the low RPM torque?

Also, the EBAY (ATP Copy?) Downpipe fit perfectly, and was easy to install. I ordered a o2 extender, so no CEL so far. I know I need a tune, but the car only has 1800 miles, so still nervous about the warranty stuff. I could easily remove the downpipe if I had to take it in..
Like you mentioned a tune is the answer to your woes! We do not have any experience with warranty voidance. We do always advocate being honest if asked about any modifications. Here are two articles that are a good read if you are concerned about your warranty and modifications.

​​http://www.semasan.com/semaga/images/warranty_ftc.pdf

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=warranty_consumer&g=semaga

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Like you mentioned a tune is the answer to your woes! We do not have any experience with warranty voidance. We do always advocate being honest if asked about any modifications. Here are two articles that are a good read if you are concerned about your warranty and modifications.

​​http://www.semasan.com/semaga/images/warranty_ftc.pdf

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=warranty_consumer&g=semaga
Aftermarket mods, especially PCM calibrations could very well void your drivetrain warranty! Read the attached bulletin put out by Ford specifically warning about aftermarket mods.

Attachments

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Well if you read my post,"We do not have any experience with warranty voidance. We do always advocate being honest if asked about any modifications." Nowhere did I say that it is an impossibility.
[MENTION=19166]MyFirst5.0[/MENTION],

You are correct. We NEVER advocate adding any moderate to heavy mods to your car without tuning. Even with relatively slight mods like a downpipe the EB platform especially is extremely sensitive to modification as a whole. The ECM cannot account for the lack of backpressure with a larger ID DP. This can lead to several avalanche creating issues such as failing a turbo seal. The ECM has to be made aware of what you are doing, and it is far more than just turning off an O2 sensor.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Well if you read my post,"We do not have any experience with warranty voidance. We do always advocate being honest if asked about any modifications." Nowhere did I say that it is an impossibility.
[MENTION=19166]MyFirst5.0[/MENTION],

You are correct. We NEVER advocate adding any moderate to heavy mods to your car without tuning. Even with relatively slight mods like a downpipe the EB platform especially is extremely sensitive to modification as a whole. The ECM cannot account for the lack of backpressure with a larger ID DP. This can lead to several avalanche creating issues such as failing a turbo seal. The ECM has to be made aware of what you are doing, and it is far more than just turning off an O2 sensor.
If lack of backpressure with a larger ID DP can eventually lead to a turbo seal failing, how does a tune prevent this?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
We completely re-write the boost mapping to make sure that we are keeping the entire induction system working within its optimal settings. Forcing, or in this case, allowing for the possibility of the turbo to spool outside of its safe parameters can allow for this.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
We completely re-write the boost mapping to make sure that we are keeping the entire induction system working within its optimal settings. Forcing, or in this case, allowing for the possibility of the turbo to spool outside of its safe parameters can allow for this.
Don't know what this has to do with lack of backpressure causing turbo seals to fail and supposedly your tune preventing this but ok :tsk:

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This is actually something that happens on the TT platforms more frequently. You are unsure of how allowing the car to operate something without regulation can be detrimental?
No, I am unsure on how your tune supposedly prevents lack of backpressure from causing turbo seals to fail(not proven btw), which was your original statement in what seems like an attempt to sell your products.
Sponsored