Sponsored

Anybody here still work out?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I haven't gone to the gym since the lockdowns began in March. I hate doing home workouts because it just reminds me of getting smoked in the Army and I just say fuck this and stop.

I'm a naturally slim and tall guy (6'2"/6'3" ish), I don't gain weight unless its lean muscle mass. Im usually a solid ~180 lbs when I workout but since I haven't gone in such along time I've lost most of my mass and I weigh probably 165lbs now. Im not really worried because I can put on weight just as fast as I loose it.

I am pretty young but I'm considered at high risk for COVID because of my medical issues so I've been laying low and not doing anything. So I haven't been motivated lately and haven't cared about my appearance at all.

I'm thinking about buying some gym equipment maybe but I was wondering if anyone here is doing some home workouts could share what they are doing. Or how they are working out around COVID.
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I haven't worked out in quite some time. I have home gym equipment. I just moved to a new area and for the first time in a decade I live completely by myself. Think I'll start working out again to help keep my mind off the weirdness of living completely alone, working completely alone, basically not seeing anybody for days on end.

Last edited:

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Go on youtube and listen to jocko willink or david goggins they will get you motivated!

You should try to workout to stay healthy. Body weight workouts are great if you don't have any equipment. I work out at home. I have resistance bands and 220lbs in weight plates with dumbbells to make them interchangeable. Also I walk with a 20lb weighted vest a couple miles a day.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Good news bro, they reopened a few gyms here because they are now called,"Wellness Centers". Apparently, in the demented world of wacky Rona shutdowns you cannot go to the gym because you might get within 6 ft of a people.

But, you can pick up heavy stuff and run on a treadmill if it increases your "wellness". So a few gyms locally are legally renaming their locations Planet Wellness instead of Plant Fitness and magically they are Corona free workplaces.

You gotta love living progressively.

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
I would hit the gym regularly and enjoy lifting as my method of working out. It’s something that I really enjoy and the health benefits are an obvious bonus. I was able to setup a home gym when things closed down to accommodate the majority of my needs and wants when it came to my lifts. It’s my opinion that you would need to identify what you are wanting to accomplish. For a lean young man who is prioritizing muscle mass, I would recommend calories and heavy compound lifts. Eating the right amount of calories is essential to building muscle mass. You have to eat to grow. If you’re not into “bodybuilding”, focusing on heavy compound lifts will generally help you grow and keep you “looking good” without needing to focus too much on body symmetry or isolation movements. The last thing I would recommend is to focus on understanding “how” to lift and not on “how much”.

People are still stuck inside, so you will see a lot of “Out of Stock” with home fitness equipment vendors but there is so much selection available right now because of this too. I chose to go with Rep Fitness for my home gym needs but I also have some other odds and ends from other brands too. Adjustable dumbbells are a nice alternative to a full set. I have had the Bowflex Selecttechs for years and really like them. The versatility is great and the only downside is the length of the dumbbell is pretty long for the lighter weights. I don’t find this affecting many of my lifts though.

Just some ideas and info about what I like. Hope it helps.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Been a while since I was able to. Had back surgery a year ago. I got tired of going to the gym and bought an adjustable bench and the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. First had the 552's but needed more weight. Got the 1090's and they worked pretty good. Just using those I was able to put on right at 40lbs.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Stuck inside here in the UK too. I ordered a 20 kg kettle bell (not expensive). Every day I just work in 6 sets of swings and goblet squats around other stuff I'm doing. It's not hard, but enough to maintain condition until all this Covid stuff is over.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I go to the gym almost every day. Still don’t like it though.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I’ve gotta grab some more supplements and get motivated to get back into it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would hit the gym regularly and enjoy lifting as my method of working out. It’s something that I really enjoy and the health benefits are an obvious bonus. I was able to setup a home gym when things closed down to accommodate the majority of my needs and wants when it came to my lifts. It’s my opinion that you would need to identify what you are wanting to accomplish. For a lean young man who is prioritizing muscle mass, I would recommend calories and heavy compound lifts. Eating the right amount of calories is essential to building muscle mass. You have to eat to grow. If you’re not into “bodybuilding”, focusing on heavy compound lifts will generally help you grow and keep you “looking good” without needing to focus too much on body symmetry or isolation movements. The last thing I would recommend is to focus on understanding “how” to lift and not on “how much”.

People are still stuck inside, so you will see a lot of “Out of Stock” with home fitness equipment vendors but there is so much selection available right now because of this too. I chose to go with Rep Fitness for my home gym needs but I also have some other odds and ends from other brands too. Adjustable dumbbells are a nice alternative to a full set. I have had the Bowflex Selecttechs for years and really like them. The versatility is great and the only downside is the length of the dumbbell is pretty long for the lighter weights. I don’t find this affecting many of my lifts though.

Just some ideas and info about what I like. Hope it helps.
Yeah I hear you, I have always been on and off with going. I typically will take a month or so off so I don't get burned out. Really wasn't until the past few years that I really figured out how to eat right and how to workout to get my intended results. It takes me about 2 months to put on of muscle 20lbs which is pretty fast, and be in shape. I have gone from really skinny to lean like 5 times in my life. I guess I am just holding out until the whole COVID stuff goes away. I seem to have plateaued and at my normal weight when I don't exercise.

I had no idea that adjustable dumbbells were a thing. I'll look into getting that and a straight bar with plates. I could just focus on compounds lifts, just really focus on my form and reps. I really want to get the big cable machine/noridc track but they are really expensive. I still wont get to be where I want to be, but doing something is better than nothing. I just get annoyed when I can't get the results I want because I don't have the equipment.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I go to the gym almost every day. Still don’t like it though.
Do you have to wear a mask? There are days where I get extremely light headed and get on the verge of passing out, and thats without a mask lol. I will 100% for sure pass out doing squats or deadlifts with a mask

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
they re-opened them on base a couple of months ago so ive been going to the gyms on base since then.

during lockdown myself and multiple buddies had gyms in our garages.

A good squat rack, bench, and squat bar with some weights are really all you need.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go on youtube and listen to jocko willink or david goggins they will get you motivated!

You should try to workout to stay healthy. Body weight workouts are great if you don't have any equipment. I work out at home. I have resistance bands and 220lbs in weight plates with dumbbells to make them interchangeable. Also I walk with a 20lb weighted vest a couple miles a day.
I usually go to the guy from ATHLEAN-X. His stuff has worked really good for me.

Sounds like you have a good setup.

Do you know what is the point of weighed vests? I remember looking forward to having my claves and legs jacked when I found out I would be a machine gunner in the Army, carrying a whole bunch of crap. All I got out of it was a messed up back and knees lol, and my legs are still skinny lol. Only time i'll use something weighted on me is when Im doing pull ups or dips.

Deleted member 35644

They re-opened the gym for limited hours at my office, but didn't re-open the locker room. I normally worked out before work, and showered. They close the gym in the afternoon, so after work is out of the question. I'm not about to get sweaty during my lunch hour with no ability to shower. It's been about 10 months since I touched a weight, and it shows in the mirror, and on the scale.
Sponsored