Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It's apples to oranges.

The Subaru WRX is the kind of car you choose if you only want to have 1 car that does everything pretty well. It's quick for what it is, it's fun, it's fuel efficient, it's practical (the 2015+ seats four adults easily), it's good in all seasons.

The Mustang on the other hand is a car you buy as a second car, that will be driven in good weather and sacrifices usability for more fun.
There are plenty of people here that daily their Mustang. The trunk is huge and the car is comfortable to sit in, that's what makes the Mustang practical to drive all the time.

The WRX is not fuel efficient at all. I don't call 23-24 mpg fuel efficient. If you look on fuelly, that's what the 2015 and 2016 WRXs are getting. An ecoboost mustang gets better gas mileage, weighs more, and has more power.
Sponsored

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
I had a 2012 WRX in the past... traded it for a EcoBoost F150 FX4... I'm pretty sure that the F150 was faster, and better on fuel too. Traded the truck in on the mustang. I have no regrets, and even though I liked the WRX... I don't miss it at all.

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
There are plenty of people here that daily their Mustang. The trunk is huge and the car is comfortable to sit in, that's what makes the Mustang practical to drive all the time.

The WRX is not fuel efficient at all. I don't call 23-24 mpg fuel efficient. If you look on fuelly, that's what the 2015 and 2016 WRXs are getting. An ecoboost mustang gets better gas mileage, weighs more, and has more power.
The mustang is a two door with tiny back seats. I'm sorry, it is nowhere near as practical as a 2015+ WRX. We carpool almost every day in a 2015 WRX with four adults. We've done the same once in my S550, it was a joke.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
See my sig.

I switched from a 2015 WRX (FBO+Water/Meth). I wouldn't waste money on a new STi. I won't even consider an STi until they get rid of the EJ257.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I had:
- 2002 wrx hatch, stage 2+
- 2005 Outback XT stage 2+
- 2010 wrx STi hatch stage 2+

I think (in stock form) the wrx & sti have gotten slower since ~2009 on. They keep adding weight to the car but never upping the power. Sti's still have the SAME motor & power as the first US sti in 2004. If you're driving a 5.0 currently these Subies are gonna feel SLOW.

Still very fun in the snow, I still like them, and you know you can unleash a very fast wrx with intake+downpipe+exhaust+tune. I think my mustang is more fun than any of those turbo subies I owned and better creature comforts too.... still I kinda miss my 2010 sti some days.
Right, I had a 2004 STI with 300hp stock. The 2004 GT had 260hp.

In 2017 the STI has 305hp, and is heavier, softer, and slower. While the GT has 435hp, and is faster (but also heavier, not sure about softer).

So I had no real interest in getting a new STI when it was time for the old one to go. A turbo BRZ maybe, but for some reason they refuse to make one.

Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
I have a “fully built” 05 STI I built myself. All forged closed deck block, Full-Race turbo kit with EFR 7163 etc. Very responsive 400whp (mustang dyno) on 93, should be 500+ when I switch to e85 flex fuel. I love it and will probably never sell it. That said, if I had to chose between a newer WRX/STI and a Mustang GT I wouldn’t even think about the Subaru’s. If you really want the AWD for seasonal reasons, get a Focus RS.
The older STI’s are great project/tuner cars if you want to build a versatile performance car. As someone said the new cars are weird. WRX has inferior drivetrain with better DI/PI FA motor, STI has amazing drivetrain/brakes with an EJ you should probably budget a forged piston rebuild for if you plan on any mods and/or driving it hard. A RS will be a much better car then a new STI regardless if you plan on modding or leaving bone stock.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Were a few cars in-between but I had a Legacy Spec B (which is basically a big WRX). :)

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I have a “fully built” 05 STI I built myself. All forged closed deck block, Full-Race turbo kit with EFR 7163 etc. Very responsive 400whp (mustang dyno) on 93, should be 500+ when I switch to e85 flex fuel. I love it and will probably never sell it. That said, if I had to chose between a newer WRX/STI and a Mustang GT I wouldn’t even think about the Subaru’s. If you really want the AWD for seasonal reasons, get a Focus RS.
The older STI’s are great project/tuner cars if you want to build a versatile performance car. As someone said the new cars are weird. WRX has inferior drivetrain with better DI/PI FA motor, STI has amazing drivetrain/brakes with an EJ you should probably budget a forged piston rebuild for if you plan on any mods and/or driving it hard. A RS will be a much better car then a new STI regardless if you plan on modding or leaving bone stock.

Actually the 15+ WRX is DI only, not PI. :( That's why I installed direct port water/meth on mine. Not just for performance benefits but to help keep the valves clean. I had it walnut blasted at 46k miles when I had the kit installed. Mine wasn't terribly bad though. I drove mine a lot which probably helped keep them clean. I am interested in seeing the high mileage ones now. I was one of the highest millage 15's before I sold mine (57k).

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Actually the 15+ WRX is DI only, not PI. :( That's why I installed direct port water/meth on mine. Not just for performance benefits but to help keep the valves clean. I had it walnut blasted at 46k miles when I had the kit installed. Mine wasn't terribly bad though. I drove mine a lot which probably helped keep them clean. I am interested in seeing the high mileage ones now. I was one of the highest millage 15's before I sold mine (57k).
So only the BRZ/FRS FA20 is DI/PI? Ok, that's even worse. I really dont understand Subaru's approach to their performance cars lately. Put a turbo on the BRZ, add PI to WRX and come up with something FA based for the STI already. This is mostly parts-bin engineering.

Sponsored

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Came from an Evo X gsr to mustang GT both great cars but very different. I feel the mustang is a more comfortable daily driver.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Like others have said, I couldn't buy a car that has a powertrain with quite literally almost no outstanding updates for so long, like 13 years?

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
So only the BRZ/FRS FA20 is DI/PI? Ok, that's even worse. I really dont understand Subaru's approach to their performance cars lately. Put a turbo on the BRZ, add PI to WRX and come up with something FA based for the STI already. This is mostly parts-bin engineering.

Agreed. No reason they couldn't upgraded the BRZ to something much more sporty. Give the BRZ 300hp and it is a totally different car compared to the RWD Camry it is now. Considering that Toyota and Subaru are linked now, it is not suprising that "sporty" cars took the backseat. Toyota has not made anything interesting since the Supra in 93.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I really dont understand Subaru's approach to their performance cars lately. Put a turbo on the BRZ, add PI to WRX and come up with something FA based for the STI already. This is mostly parts-bin engineering.
They're seeing record sales, I'm sure they don't care too much.

I agree the STI could use a 2.5 FA, forged internals and about 400hp to be competitive with the domestics again.

They could offer XT(turbo) models of cars like the Crosstrek and BRZ and they'd sell like hotcakes.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
the issue with upgrading the brz from the factory is i believe they have a deal with toyota for using the same platform. if they did put a turbo in the brz the frs wouldnt sell a single unit haha but they sure would sell a lot of brz's
Sponsored