Sponsored

Any Sump Plug Alternative?

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
So I did the first oil change today at 1,500 miles. I gave up trying to change the filter as it's in the most awkward place ever on the 2019! Come on Ford!

However I have come across quite a few metal shavings in the oil. If I had to count them I'd say there were about 20-30 about the same size in the bottom of my pan. I have varied the revs up to 4k up to the first 1k miles then give it gradually a bit more up until 1.5k miles.

So just wondering if this is normal for the first oil change:
20190826_164853.jpg

20190826_164910.jpg
Most definatley NOT NORMAL. However... Does not mean you have a problem. These could just be swarf from the initial engine assembly. You have done the correct thing by changing the oil at 1500 miles. Had you not, you'de be non the wiser. Did you drop the oil pan or was this filtered from the old oil ?
I'd take your findings to Ford and ask them. Make sure they put a note on their system for your records. Now you have flushed with new oil, hopfully It'll be fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
It was just the aftermath after pouring the drain pan into my container. I thought they were stones at first, then picked a few up and noticed they were metal. I had that 'oh no' feeling. I'm tempted to do another oil change in another 1k miles to check again.

It's due its courtesy check now its hit 1500 so will definitely raise it with them there.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
You could ask Ford to change the oil and filter as a precaution. You could also ask them to open the filter for examination. If they can see a possible problem first hand then they can't ignor it.
It may well be fine. Don't worry just yet.
This goes to show the importance of an early oil change. All those that are worried about developing the 'tick' , not changing the oil untill 10K - think twice.
Best of luck Adz.

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
It's under warranty for another 2 years and 10 months so I'm not that worried, will just make sure i hold off doing anything to void the warranty until I'm 100% happy with the motor. If I found this on a 2nd oil change I'd be a bit more concerned.

I will still drive it how it's meant to be driven!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
way too many for "engineering/boring debris" left from the engine build. Get it to ford and see what they say.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Just popped into the dealer to arrange my courtesy check and showed them the pics, they will drain the oil and check the filter and contact Ford as a measure.

So should have an answer soon

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I hope its just swarf from manufacturing but none the less it shouldn't be there.
When i drained mine it was just sealant remnants.

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
I hope so too! I think there was too much of it for it to be anything else. Im glad I did the oil change at 1.5K, and did it myself, I was going to hold off or another couple of thousand!

At least its now logged, so warranty would cover it if it actually is from the break in.

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Took it in today for its 1.5k mile check up.

They've put a claim in to ford for 5 hours work to remove the sump which requires removal of some of the sub frame, to clear it out check the internals from underneath. Hopefully get this done next week.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Fingers crossed :question:
Sponsored