Sponsored

Any point in porting a 2018+ intake manifold on a 2018+ car?

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
If so, what would be the potential gains? Would it be worth it? Trying to map a plan for going all motor. Tried to look up some data but everything I came across about 2018 ported manifolds were on 2015-2017 cars.
Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
If so, what would be the potential gains? Would it be worth it? Trying to map a plan for going all motor. Tried to look up some data but everything I came across about 2018 ported manifolds were on 2015-2017 cars.
I was considering it on my car before I went FI. You can talk to Brett at AFS. He said his wife’s bone stock 18 picked up a tenth and 1/2 doing both intake & throttle body

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I was considering it on my car before I went FI. You can talk to Brett at AFS. He said his wife’s bone stock 18 picked up a tenth and 1/2 doing both intake & throttle body
NO, do not do this.

Do not take advice from someone who has skin in the game either way. Talk to someone who is completely objective and not potentially trying to sell you something. Also, you have no idea (based on the quote above) which provided the gain; the intake or the TB??

Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
NO, do not do this.

Do not take advice from someone who has skin in the game either way. Talk to someone who is completely objective and not potentially trying to sell you something. Also, you have no idea (based on the quote above) which provided the gain; the intake or the TB??
NO!!! Don’t do it!! Lol
Brett didn’t even try to push the sale. He was basically saying not to expect huge power gains and that improvement was the best case scenario. And if I were doing the intake, I would do the t-body as well

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Why increase airflow to the engine?
Please do some further research on this topic. A larger TB will give you ZERO increase in HP/TQ (at ALL rpm's) on a NA engine.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
So basically, you’re guaranteeing that there’s no way OP will get a tenth and a half out of intake/tbody porting and not to talk to the people that do it for a living because they have “skin in the game.”
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not speaking in some kind of "code" here. Porting the intake might give a 5 hp gain. The larger TB will give a ZERO gain.

But hey, by all means, keep telling the OP to port his intake, and get a larger TB (plus a tune to make the larger TB work), so he can maybe see a 5 hp gain. Not worth the $$$.

If he were serious about shaving "a tenth" off, I would suggest he optimize his final gear ratio, and buy some rear suspension parts to help plant the rear end on track launches. That would be money far better spent.

Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not speaking in some kind of "code" here. Porting the intake might give a 5 hp gain. The larger TB will give a ZERO gain.

But hey, by all means, keep telling the OP to port his intake, and get a larger TB (plus a tune to make the larger TB work), so he can maybe see a 5 hp gain. Not worth the $$$.

If he were serious about shaving "a tenth" off, I would suggest he optimize his final gear ratio, and buy some rear suspension parts to help plant the rear end on track launches. That would be money far better spent.
I don’t recall telling him to do anything. Only that he could talk to someone about it. But I’ll take your word

HopfibreSn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1/MT82
Here's a somewhat relevant article: https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-storie...-fight-to-become-top-dog-on-the-chassis-dyno/.

Towards the bottom of the article the ported 2018 is discussed, one of the quotes from vmp is "I would only swap out the stock intake manifold on an 18 Mustang GT for an identical one, but ported,” I'm in the process of having an 18 manifold ported by AFS, I'll take the small bump in hp.

Friesian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I know a guy that ported his 2019 intake and lost a tenth in the 1/4. You need to tune it if you port

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I know a guy that ported his 2019 intake and lost a tenth in the 1/4. You need to tune it if you port
This may be dependent on the tune / tuner but I did speak to AED about it and Shaun confirmed no tune revision needed for same model year but ported manifold.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This may be dependent on the tune / tuner but I did speak to AED about it and Shaun confirmed no tune revision needed for same model year but ported manifold.
Def dependent on tune. I have a PBD tune and once I installed my AFS ported manifold and sent in my logs the tune needed revision. It def picked up a good amount of power for NA. Then again, a lot of shops are selling some sketchy “ported” manifolds to make a quick buck.
Sponsored