Not open for further replies.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Not sure about Ohio but in Ky you only pay court costs if you are found guilty or plead no contest, which is what it looks like Mr Penguin did.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
The real question is how would you determine what is loud?
I am being serious here. If your neighbors or having a good romp and you hear a little moaning, would that be loud?
maybe this forum is more his speed and more respectful https://priuschat.com/forum/ :cwl:

ive never heard of an equipment check stop. ive had my share of muffler tickets and stopped for it even more. my 95 is cammed and had exhaust cutouts id run open at a track in WI and occasionally i got lazy and didnt close it back up right away. i got one ticket when i was literally idling at 40mph and a cop pulled a u-turn and stopped me and said he could hear me pass him with his windows up haha. i dont doubt it. another i was in high school being an A-hole and did a few burnouts in a quiet neighborhood and someone called the cops. no actual witnesses but 5 squads pulled up. they all knew it was me but no proof, so i got a noise ticket. i deserved it and more. luckily im 33 now and not a stupid 16 year old. but yea, hard to prove what's too loud just by cop going into court and saying so. i paid mine but they were only $20 each (i think) and i certainly deserved them. yours is obviously more expensive. good luck though with it.

nothing wrong with loud exhaust IMO unless you're using it to be an a-hole. i could even keep my straight piped 95 relatively quiet by shifting early and minimizing engine load if i tried. only reason im trying to keep my 19 quiet is those cold starts when i leave the house at 4am. that's where active exhaust/quiet mode comes in but i dont have it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the pacing thing is funny. A Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals judge ripped an officer who ticketed based on "visual estimation". The driver apparently had enough and fought the ticket. Most people don't want the aggravation. Path of least resistance and all that.

Years ago I worked with a guy from CA. He never went back after getting out of the military. He was visiting his family there and he got pulled over. Got a ticket where "pacing" or something was mentioned. He was just going to mail in the fine and be done with it. A lawyer we both know bet him a round of drinks he could get it dismissed with a letter sent to the local DA's office where the court appearance would be. He did.

There is plenty of evidence to fight these kind of tickets - but if you wait until your are standing in front of the Judge, odds are even if you get a "not guilty" you'll be paying court costs.

I know some cops. None of their departments have "quotas". Of course most officers aren't traffic officers. The odds of a non traffic officer around here pulling you over for just speeding is slim to none.

Fairly close to where I live is a known speed trap. It's I-295 going through a smaller town. The Sheriff there has a couple of motorcycle traffic officers as well. The speed limit is 70mph. There was "outcry" over all the tickets being written for speeding and how it was just for revenue and "quotas". I personally know one of the officers who was involved in this "investigation". He personally issued something like 30 speeding tickets on that stretch of I-295. The slowest speed ticketed was well over 80mph......even though VA State Law says that 80mph or above (no matter the speed limit) CAN be ticketed as reckless driving. ONE of his tickets that were reviewed was a reckless. Kid on a motorcycle doing 120+ mph. No motorcycle license. No insurance. Wearing shorts, flip flops and brain bucket. Apparently there isn't a ticket for stupid.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
None of their departments have "quotas"
It's not a quota per say, but the departments I am familiar with do have job performance reviews.

Also during "events" like "click-it-or-ticket" there are sometimes rewards for the most tickets given. It is like sales incentives for salesmen.

In some jurisdictions speeding is considered a "violation" and not a criminal act, unless reckless. Therefore you are not entitled to an appeal or a jury trial.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
It's not called a "quota" but they have targets or else they get a poor performance review.

One of my best friends is a cop.

Also If pulled over drop the "professional courtesy" line. Front line workers / drs / nurses / power system workers ect can use this and they most of the time won't get given a ticket.

Other cops will give much flak to an officer who tickets people going to / from these lines of work.

Last edited:

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
Wilmer Alabama was so bad about tickets back in the 80s that they were ordered to put up full sized billboards on the highway running through town, one on either end. The billboards had flashing red lights on top and said "Motorists and Tourists Beware, Speed Trap next 7 miles."

At one point the Chief of Police resigned citing the Mayor not allowing him to take officers off traffic enforcement in order to investigate crimes.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Wilmer Alabama was so bad about tickets back in the 80s that they were ordered to put up full sized billboards on the highway running through town, one on either end. The billboards had flashing red lights on top and said "Motorists and Tourists Beware, Speed Trap next 7 miles."

At one point the Chief of Police resigned citing the Mayor not allowing him to take officers off traffic enforcement in order to investigate crimes.
see I have no qualm having a even spread out task force. I believe there really should be more enforcement right now, I see people doing 100mph on highway everyday, groups of people, natural cruising speed now, people running red lights, stop signs, they dont even have license plates, and im not talking temp tags, im straight saying people are just driving with no license plates, since in MY area, they are now under no pursue law unless there's basically physical injury/murder.

free reign here, and its showing. there should be a hardcrack down on enforcement, not 1 day a month, or on holidays, but a serious push to get people back to usual traffic patterns. imo. 25 over the speed limit isn't acceptable cruising speeds for all the traffic.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Unfortunately this is a real thing now. In crazy Kommiefornia while town's are now actively persecuting car people for they're perceived notions of what constitutes a race car. I live in El Segundo and there are signs saying respect your neighbors and that aftermarket exhausts are illegal and will be enforced.

It sounds like as long as you aren't being an ass they won't mess with you. El Segundo is a small residential community with only 16k residents near the beach.

In Irvine and other communities they actively pull you over if you are making noise with loud exhausts.

Sponsored

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
A friend of mine got pulled over in the Bay Area recently in her Camaro. The cop asked her to pop the hood and even got out a mirror to look under the car. When he saw the car had no cats, and no smog equipment he started to flip a cow threatening to tow her car and have it impounded. She smiled politely and asked if he even looked at the registration, and replied.. "The is car is a 1972 it's exempt." The cop shut up, turned red, and then told her that her exhaust is too loud and that she should be considerate of others. No ticket.

I myself got a ticket back in 99 for loud exhaust. I had a 1962 baja bug with a stinger and no baffles in it. You could hear that car 2 blocks away if you were on the throttle. I think the ticket was like $40, which to me at that time was chunk of money LOL. But I paid it, stuffed a baffle in the stinger and went about my way. That was the only car I ever got popped in. I had many cars with open headers, and exhaust... probably why I am deaf in one ear now :p

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine got pulled over in the Bay Area recently in her Camaro. The cop asked her to pop the hood and even got out a mirror to look under the car. When he saw the car had no cats, and no smog equipment he started to flip a cow threatening to tow her car and have it impounded. She smiled politely and asked if he even looked at the registration, and replied.. "The is car is a 1972 it's exempt." The cop shut up, turned red, and then told her that her exhaust is too loud and that she should be considerate of others. No ticket.

I myself got a ticket back in 99 for loud exhaust. I had a 1962 baja bug with a stinger and no baffles in it. You could hear that car 2 blocks away if you were on the throttle. I think the ticket was like $40, which to me at that time was chunk of money LOL. But I paid it, stuffed a baffle in the stinger and went about my way. That was the only car I ever got popped in. I had many cars with open headers, and exhaust... probably why I am deaf in one ear now :p
I worry about what the future has to come, here we havnt had any e check or any type of emissions testing from before I was driving. But with all the new changes, its only a matter of time til some national standard/enforcement gets pushed through.

but I cant see it happening at same time at any profit, because E check was a massive deficit, and went under in Ohio. (there's like a couple counties up by lake eerie) that still participate, but everyone else tossed that out. Half my friends drive around basically on test pipes,

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I miss the minimum speed limits from the autobahn... people here drive seriously slow on the highway... 60-75 mph on a 3-4 lane highway is dumb af

90-100 mph should be a perfect cruising speed without any major drama involved... just cruising

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I miss the minimum speed limits from the autobahn... people here drive seriously slow on the highway... 60-75 mph on a 3-4 lane highway is dumb af

90-100 mph should be a perfect cruising speed without any major drama involved... just cruising
Our driver education here is a joke. I live in Virginia but across the border in Maryland, there are counties that are safe havens for illegal immigrants. DMV in 2 counties of Maryland will hand you a license without any proof of green card/citizenship. If we could get our sh*t together and have better standards for passing the license exam, then yes, we could drive at higher speeds without getting more people into accidents and possible deaths.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.