Sponsored

Any fitness gurus here?

NowInSixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black,Sixth Gen, GT, Bad Arse
If you're trying to lose weight and are a beginner do you think Squatting and Deadlifting is a good idea? It's very easy to mess yourself up if you aren't careful doing both right?
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If you're trying to lose weight and are a beginner do you think Squatting and Deadlifting is a good idea? It's very easy to mess yourself up if you aren't careful doing both right?
Then I'd recommend investing time into researching the movements. Heck, every movement should be researched. I've seen countless times people incorrectly doing what are considered "simple" isolation exercises.

For fat loss, bar none, when it comes to to the weights you want the most bang for your buck compound movements. Think squat, deadlift, push press, etc. I'd dare say some Olympic lifts but those are too technical without a coach.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I workout 5-6 times a week, usually at 5am so I can just go home after work. Prep my meals ahead of time. It helps keep me sane. One of the best things you can do is learn the basics. Start with anatomy. Once you really understand which muscles do what, and which excercises work which muscles, you can pick a well rounded program that gets done what you want. It's a very cheap yet essential read.

http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Anatomy-Frederic-Delavier/dp/0736092269

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Thank you all for your help. I survived the first week. I've had to make some adjustments, but I think what I've come up with will be a good place to start. I'll mix in some ab work at home and some cycling (going to pick up my new bike today) and hopefully I'll be good to go for a while. I haven't really lifted since high school. I'd forgotten how good it feels to be sore the next day. I know that sounds weird, but it's a satisfying feeling.

CentralVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD !!!!
I hit the gym 4 or 5 days a week depending on work. I drink Premier Protein, take B12, Creatine carbo-monohydrate and cycle SARMS (Anadrine, Ostarine) then follow up with a PCT. I'm 38 and in the best shape of my life. Still putting on decent mass ;)

Sponsored

TenaciousB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Check out "Strong Lifts 5x5". It's a beginners lifting program that I started a couple months ago after having never lifted a weight in my life. It's very very basic but the results are awesome. For example I started my squat at 88lbs and today I hit 250 in two months and change. It's 2 alternating lifts then squats every other day that I can get done in 30mins. Eventually you outgrow the program but it's a very good place to start.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Any truth to high calorie/protein powders clogging the liver?

If one is in good shape, takes the regular amount and works out all the time, there shouldn't be an issue, I do all of the above but it seems that after 4 or 5 days of the stuff I feel a little clogged liver wise sometimes.

Terry

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I am 47, and kettlebells are the ticket. Amazing results for reasonably little effort.
This.

My workout is two separate routines, done twice (each) per week.

Day 1:
Kettlebell one-arm swing (2 sets per arm, 30 reps each set)
Kettlebell one-arm clean (2 sets per arm, 20 reps each set)
Kettlebell one-arm push press (3 sets per arm, 20 reps each set)
Kettlebell two-arm swing (I use two kettlebells, 2 sets, 15 reps each set)
Kettlebell windmill (3 sets per arm, 15 reps per set)
Kettlebell double jerk (3 sets, 10 reps per set)
Kettlebell bottoms-up clean from the hang position (3 sets per arm, 20 reps)
Kettlebell goblet squat (6 sets, 10 reps)
Kettlebell hand-to-hand swing (1 set, 60 reps)

Day 2:
Kettlebell hand-to-hand swing (1 set, 60 reps)
Kettlebell two-arm clean (3 sets, 15 reps each set)
Kettlebell alternating push press (3 sets, 40 reps each set)
Kettlebell one-arm snatch (3 sets per arm, 20 reps per set)
Kettlebell front squats (3 sets, 10 reps)
Kettlebell one-legged deadlift (2 sets per leg, 10 reps)
Kettlebell figure eight (3 sets, 15 reps)
Kettlebell double jerk (3 sets, 10 reps)
Kettlebell hand-to-hand swing (2 sets, 30 reps)

Do that with a Fitbit on, and you'll be amazed at how high your heartrate gets, and how much you're burning. Just make sure you hit the protein hard, or you'll lose muscle mass with the fat.

JR

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can easily squat and deadlift dumbbells as a beginner. I started out squatting with just body weight, then moved to doing goblet squats with a dumbbell, then back squats with a barbell. Same with deadlifts, and I was actually doing two different types with dumbbells on different days.

JR

Sponsored
OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
While it has been a loooong time, I used to lift a lot in high school and even competed in some power lifting conditions. So, I do understand the importance of form.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
I've lost 74 pounds since May by changing nothing but my diet. But, I've kind of leveled off and think it's time for me to start working out too. Like everyone these days my schedule is pretty full. So, I'm looking for a weight program that I can do in 30-45 minutes 2-3 days week. I'm not looking to get huge. I really just want to get rid of the rest of the fat and get a little tone. My work has a pretty nice gym with just about any machine you'd probably need. Any advice?
As a men's physique competitor, I will tell you that diet is the major thing. However, it all needs to be balanced. You need a workout plan that compliments your diet along with your schedule. The 4 most important things..... diet, water, sleep and workout plan.

Simple 30 minute workouts do just fine, if you haven't worked out in awhile... simple pushups, dips, Jogging, bike, elliptical, unweighted squats will do you just fine.

Small lifestyle changes, stand instead of sit at your computer, use a swiss ball instead of a regular chair, walk up the stairs instead of the elevator. Small things combined make a huge lifestyle impact which you'll notice quickly.

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
I walk approximately 30 miles a week due to my job and my fitbit tells me each day, I burn over 3k calories. However, I havent lost any day weight. What is a good dinner for someone who works in the evenings? I find myself bringing microwaveable food and I know that is a poor choice.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I walk approximately 30 miles a week due to my job and my fitbit tells me each day, I burn over 3k calories. However, I havent lost any day weight. What is a good dinner for someone who works in the evenings? I find myself bringing microwaveable food and I know that is a poor choice.
I grill up a half dozen chicken breasts on Sunday afternoon, then stick them in a baggie in the fridge. I also microwave a half dozen sweet potatoes, and again, bag them for the week. Finally, each morning, I slice up a zucchini and saute with Pam spray (butter flavor - 0 calories) and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. If I don't have time for that, I bring one of the steam-in-bag veggie bags, and just nuke that at the office. It's repetitive, but routine is what gets you there.

I did shift work for a year, and it's hell on everything, especially eating and working out. I was eating all manner of foods, and usually doing it standing up, working in a lab. It's no fun...

JR

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Have any sugar in the diet ? Eliminate that - I did it and my weight started dropping entirely on its own. Nothing else changed.
Sponsored