Sponsored

Any avid bikers plan on getting a hitch receiver?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
At the last autox event I saw an S550 with a receiver bisecting the rear backup light. No idea if the backup light was still functional or not.

Anybody seen anything similar, or you think it was custom? It was nicely stealth.

Yes this would be nice.

After my first track day in the Mustang, I have decided that a tire/tool trailer would be very helpful.

I saw a Miata that had a nicely hidden mount, then a C shaped bridge piece to get the hitch/ball out to the right location. With that bridge piece off you couldn't even see the car had a hitch.

But the standard Curt or Draw-Tight receivers that junk up the rear diffuser area of the s550 look like crap, even with no hitch.
Sponsored

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thule on Curt hitch.
Sturdy with no issues other than the occasional scrape to the bottom
of the end of the hitch receiver.
Once in awhile it happens.
I have to cut the wheel big time to avoid the scrape.
2 up set-up doesn't require the strap to the hitch.
Very secure with no bounce.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Anyone successfully fit a trunk mount rack yet? I have a Saris Bones rack, and I went out to adjust it to fit the car tonight and everything is a perfect fit except for the bottom straps thanks to the damned plastic trunk lip.

I didn't think to see if the straps would extend below the bumper to hook out of site until after I came in, so I might try that tomorrow. I'd like to avoid a hitch if I can, i'll throw the bikes in the back of my pickup first.

And as cool as those vacuum mounts are, I have a lefty, so They'd work for my wifes bike (She's got a trek) but not really mine.

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP - Gone
Yakima Dr. Tray on a Curt receiver. The Curt installation was fairly straightforward and the Yakima is great. When I catch shit for having a rack on the mustang I just tell people it's closer to 50/50 weight distribution now.
mustang2.jpg
mustang.jpg

Last edited:

Bitis_Gabonica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I can take my seat post, front tire and pedals off and it fits in my trunk with tarp down.

Just FYI there is a great deal on a bike Stand for $29.99 at Aldi's the grocery store...it's very decent and well worth $29.99. I've been using it for about a month now....stable, spins and raises/lowers:

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Neat. Too bad there isn't an Aldi's grocery store anywhere near me. I still haven't tried fussing with the trunk mount rack again, but I think I can probably rig something to get it to attach below the bumper..though I may need to extend the straps.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
So, success. I was able to get a Saris Bones rack on the car. The lower straps are long enough to reach beyond the bumper, but there isn't much down there to tie them too...except the exhaust. So, since I have a solo setup (ie, no mufflers) and J-pipes, I bought some spare oversized exhaust clamps, put them on the J-pipe, and attached the lower strap hooks to that. So it's not ideal since the exhaust isn't exactly fixed, but it should work for now.

I'll see if I can't rig up something a little more permanent that's out of sight. That way I don't have to worry about exhaust movement, AND I don't have to remove/install exhaust camps every time I want to mount the bike rack. I'm more worried about how well the thin paint on this car holds up.

Edit; It's dark now so I didn't carry my bike out to check and see how it took the weight. So while the rack fits, it might still not work well. Just given how the bumper is shaped I'm not sure I'd load up more than one bike on it, maybe two if they are light enough. The lower feet sit on that 45degree cut just below the taillights, which is nice and solid, but the angle isn't the best for supporting much weight.

Edit2:
It worked fine. I hauled my brother in laws bike that I sold for him a little over 30 miles without any movement. It's slightly lighter than my mountain bike, but not much. So...I'd say it'll work fine for a single bike. Two might work as well, I'll try that later after I build some additional confidence in the single. The only downside is I can't use the innermost attachment point (at least not with the road bike I loaded) since it brings it a little too close to the edge of the trunk..the pedals could easily hit on a big bump. I run crank brothers stuff though, which is smaller than the SPD/platform setup on this road bike, so maybe my bike would be ok. In any case...you don't have to get a hitch mount, a saris rack can be made to work, but you will have to rig up something for the lower straps.

Last edited:

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Installed the drawtite on my convertible today. While i prefer the tubular look it is not listed to work on a convertible. Installation was easy but for the rectangular washers don't fit through the access hole in the frame. The installation instructions suggest clearancing the frame with a file. Not wanting to compromise the frame (thinking rust) i introduced the washers to the grinding wheel. The holes on the hitch itself are plenty big enough that there was no issues with alignment. Now bike tack ready. Installed a borla touring exhaust at the same time!

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Any pics? I was able to successfully use my rack to haul my Cannondale F2 to the bike shop. I wouldn't load up another bike on it though, just because I'd be afraid it would try to slide off the bumper, but for one bike, it's perfectly fine. The only concern I have now is my rigged setup using the exhaust has the lower straps on a non-fixed point, so they could possibly come loose or get pulled too tight. I need to rig up something a little more permanent, but it does work for the moment.

It's too bad they don't make a hitch that completely comes off when not in use. I'd be interested in that.

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Just ordered the Curt hitch from autoanything. Came to $130 shipped due to a $20 mail in rebate.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So 7 out of 8 aint bad, right?????

Took my hitch to Uhaul to have them put it on.
The dude putting it on lost the friggin bolt in the channel! Forward right bolt is not installed. Seems really tight on there anyway. I don't know if I can even get another one on now that the hitch is installed anyway. I am not ever going to tow, it's only for a bike a rack.

But, FML.

Bitis_Gabonica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I'm already tired of taking off my pedals, front wheel and seat post to delicatly put in the trunk like a real life game of operation lol - something rubs and I scream. Not to mention I got caught midway on 6 mile trail in torrential thunderstorm.....almost decided to ride home in rain instead of putting dirty bike in trunk even with a big tarp in there. Having shop install this week. Bought on sale on autoanything with coupon and $20 visa gift card rebate so basically $100.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Here's what I did last weekend. Trunk mount, has a cross bar which allows you to bring up one of the bike pedals to rest on it so it doesn't rub against the trunk.

Held up pretty well, I had to stuff paper towels where the hooks touch the trunk though so they don't scratch anything.
19113067_10158948596325604_1203306594_n (1).jpg
Sponsored