Another lost traction on freeway thread

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
After reading this topic
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/lost-traction-on-the-highway.106446/
I recalled a situation I got myself into awhile ago. But still remember it..

I attach a drawing so that it makes it easier to visualize.

I was driving behind a slow car on freeway entrance ramp in the right lane but after some hesitation decided to switch to the left lane and enter a freeway ahead of the slow car.

I was not local to the area and did not realize that freeway entrance ramp becomes decreasing radius for the left line, plus, it tilts outwards.

The speed as we were approaching the bend was not critical, probably around or under 30 mph, but I will not lie, rhere were lateral Gs. As we were exiting the curve I was half body in front of the car to the right from me and already had been experiencing decreased radius and unnatural tilt, so I knew I was on shakey ground.

Either the guy to the right from me had to reduce speed or I needed to slightly accelerate for us to merge. It might be that he didn't want me to pass him.

Since I was in fault for the whole situation and the other driver did not brake, I decided to accelerate _slightly_, just enough to pass his car completely.

I actually went ahead of him and with some padding behind, but shortly after that lost my rear end. Despite unfavorable in general for my mustang situation I absolutely did not expect this to happen. Throttle input was gentle, barely enough to finish the pass, speed was not all that critical.

My car oversteered and was moving towards metal divider to the right of me at an approx 30 degree angle and that was the scariest part. The divider was going to hit somewhere in the center of the front eith its edge.

I slightly released throttle (not sure to which degree though) and was countersteering. After some hesitation the stang sort of caught up with traction and started slow rotation to the opposite direction. Rotation became faster and faster (whew!, not facing the beginning of fence anymore!) and ended up with a swing to the left which was much easier to catch and after a couple more I stabilized and merged freeway. Drove home slowly and sadly. Luckily noone got involved.

The car is manual stock GT PP with staggered oem pirellis. Dry weather, not cold, but not hot either.

I was bringing my car to autocross with the same setup, was giving it much harder life and it was not exposing misbehavior similar to what happened.

Due to the way my car is sitting in a garage I have easy access to left side wheels. But this time I went around and realized two things:

- right rear tire was almost done. much worse that left tire. But even left one was not in its best shape. Front tires were pretty good shape.

- I tend to overinflate tires and wear pattern shows that it is not a good idea for a mustang. Rears have explicit mostly center of the thread wear. That means that especially in situations when your car experiences lateral Gs and lifts off the rear, only part of your tire is in touch with pavement. I checked hpde forum and people recommend stock pressure for autox/track. Another argument to keep pressure stock.

So... check your rears. If they are not in a good shape anymore, keep your temper in check. You might be caught by a surprise.

SmartSelect_20190430-141300_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
So it's the cars fault this happened?

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
So it's the cars fault this happened?
If you were curious if I was sorry about what happened or if I blamed myself, then yes, of course I very much did.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Glad it worked out and you certainly learned a valuable lesson. These cars are freaking powerful and most underestimate them. I know I have. When I first got my 18 I was high speed passing slow cars at pretty much high speed to make the pass as fast as possible thinking that was safe. I did that once and when I came back into my lane the car wiggled a bit. Nothing bad happened but it was a bit freaky and taught me to chill out.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
RWD isn’t for everybody.

Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
RWD isn’t for everybody.
Rwd is as old as cars.

As far as autox goes I like RR more than RF. FF is mostly boring, RF is just right overall.

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rwd is as old as cars.

As far as autox goes Ilike RR more than RF.
Uh huh
Why not leave your autox monuvers for the track and keep everyone else out of harms way?
Doesn't your autox experience include the diligent safety and equipment inspection?

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Uh huh
Why not leave your autox monuvers for the track and keep everyone else out of harms way?
Doesn't your autox experience include the diligent safety and equipment inspection?
Why do you drive GT? Wouldn't everyone feel safer if you drove corolla? Seriously, keep everyone out of harms.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you drive GT? Wouldn't everyone feel safer if you drove corolla? Seriously, keep everyone out of harms.
Based on your own description it sounded like you were driving like a Richard.
But your post seemed to also aim the short coming on the car.

I don't drive like you but don't assume that means I don't enjoy the ride.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Besides the driving...no comment, like none of you have done it.

Otherwise the rear of the Mustang is dangerous with wheel hop and can be easily unsettled with the way it's set up, soft bushings and all. I nearly spun mine out a few times in rather benign situations that I shouldn't have lost the car in.
I put about a Grand in the rear of Steeda parts and didn't have that problem ever again and I recommend that you do something along those lines. IRS Supports, Diff bushings, IRS brace...and so forth.

Sponsored
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Besides the driving...no comment, like none of you have done it.

Otherwise the rear of the Mustang is dangerous with wheel hop and can be easily unsettled with the way it's set up, soft bushings and all. I nearly spun mine out a few times in rather benign situations that I shouldn't have lost the car in.
I put about a Grand in the rear of Steeda parts and didn't have that problem ever again and I recommend that you do something along those lines. IRS Supports, Diff bushings, IRS brace...and so forth.
Maybe it wasn't obvious from my post, but there was no reason for the car to loose rear end in that situation. Smooth pavement, less than critical speed, minimal speed increase at the end. I was driving barely faster on bigger radius then slow car on smaller radius.

As I was driving home of course I was blaming myself in childish behavior. But I was also thinking- wow, what a surprise.... I found piece after figuring out the state of rear tires in terms of both - wear and over-inflation. Both - my oversight, not car's fault.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Maybe it wasn't obvious from my post, but there was no reason for the car to loose rear end in that situation. Smooth pavement, less than critical speed, minimal speed increase at the end. I was driving barely faster on bigger radius then slow car on smaller radius.

As I was driving home of course I was blaming myself in childish behavior. But I was also thinking- wow, what a surprise.... I found piece after figuring out the state of rear tires in terms of both - wear and over-inflation. Both - my oversight, not car's fault.
The car does or can lose the back end when there's no apparent reason for it, I didn't overlook your piece on the tires which is an obvious player. If you replace(d) those and you're happy with it...all is well.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
So someone posts a random info thread complete with graphics and users here roast him alive? :explode:

Seems a bit extreme to me.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Being this is in the autox section, @accel, did your autocross experience help you to not crash the car that day?

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
As I don't have the attention span to read this novel about a mistake you made, I get that you basically made a decision based on instinct, and not knowledge of that particular road, and then wasn't able to control the car. That's one topic, but may I ask why you felt the need to out yourself on a forum where you knew you would be scolded? Make mistakes, learn from them, but posting on the internet about it I think will only cause more frustration.
Sponsored