Sponsored

Another 5.0 Scraping & Scratching Noise Video

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine goes away after the car has warmed up enough. But on cold starts it does it I'll post a video soon too. Since I'll be getting my clutch installed I'll ask the shop to look for anything else that might be related to the sound exhaust wise. I'll report back next week since my appointment is on the 6th.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mine goes away after the car has warmed up enough. But on cold starts it does it I'll post a video soon too. Since I'll be getting my clutch installed I'll ask the shop to look for anything else that might be related to the sound exhaust wise. I'll report back next week since my appointment is on the 6th.
Mine is probably the same. Looking forward to hearing what your results are...

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is probably the same. Looking forward to hearing what your results are...
Hopefully we can get this figured out lol.

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Ever since I had header install it always sounds like this hollow scraping sound. When Im next to a barrier or something echoing the engine.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ever since I had header install it always sounds like this hollow scraping sound. When Im next to a barrier or something echoing the engine.
A little bit of that hollow sound you're referring to is normal for the header system. The sound that others and I'm personally referring to is a little different. Once I post a video you'll see what I'm talking about. Sorry I haven't had time been really busy to get on my computer or forget to.

Sponsored

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got my car back this weekend from the shop as I was having my clutch installed. The shop reported back that they did not hear any noises that I was describing and nothing seemed out of the ordinary in terms of noise. They inspected my cats as well and said there are no signs of overheating either so that culprit is out of the picture.

The shop let the car idle and sit for a while from a cold start trying to see if the noise would show up but it didn't. I'm assuming at this point that the noise was coming from somewhere in the transmission? Not sure but the things that got replaced are the following:

Clutch
Pilot bearing
Throwout bearing
Clutch line
Clutch/Brake fluid
Flywheel bolts
Driveshaft

Btw here's a video of the noise from before:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...TAwYU51TUNCSm8

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure mine is some sort of heat shield rattle or the flex pipe in the stock header pipe.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure mine is some sort of heat shield rattle or the flex pipe in the stock header pipe.
Could very well be, I honestly have no clue where the noise was coming from. Is your noise similar to the video I posted or is yours different? I have a full exhaust setup (headers + catback) so the flex pipe wouldn't apply to me. Heat shield maybe, but I would have to put it up again to double check that.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Could very well be, I honestly have no clue where the noise was coming from. Is your noise similar to the video I posted or is yours different? I have a full exhaust setup (headers + catback) so the flex pipe wouldn't apply to me. Heat shield maybe, but I would have to put it up again to double check that.
Similar enough but I'd have to hear it in person to know if it's the same. Mine is noticeable at idle with the windows fully down or doors open, or when I'm either very lightly accelerating through 2000 and 2800 rpm or engine braking through those engine speeds. It sounds like a piece of loose metal going into resonance and vibrating against another piece of metal.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Similar enough but I'd have to hear it in person to know if it's the same. Mine is noticeable at idle with the windows fully down or doors open, or when I'm either very lightly accelerating through 2000 and 2800 rpm or engine braking through those engine speeds. It sounds like a piece of loose metal going into resonance and vibrating against another piece of metal.
I see, I didn't really notice anything during light acceleration, and after driving my car a little bit the noise would pretty much go away. At this point all I can do is try to see if I can get the noise to replicate or if it comes back, maybe then you can hear it in person and see if it's the same or not.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well I found my sound. As I guessed, it was the flex pipe on the passenger side catalyst outlet pipe. It's partially separated from the pipe and is rattling at idle but also particularly bad under light load right off idle or engine braking at 2k and 2.8k rpm.

I'm ordering one of these and will take it to the exhaust shop near my house and have it put in.
https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Performance-62804-Flex-Coupler/dp/B00HFRMV62

Last edited:

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
Well I found my sound. As I guessed, it was the flex pipe on the passenger side catalyst outlet pipe. It's partially separated from the pipe and is rattling at idle but also particularly bad under light load right off idle or engine braking at 2k and 2.8k rpm.

I'm ordering one of these and will take it to the exhaust shop near my house and have it put in.
https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Performance-62804-Flex-Coupler/dp/B00HFRMV62
Nice, glad you got it figured out. I will take a closer look at mine.

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
I have the same noise on my 2015 GT...no exhaust leak but it is noticeable on start up but it goes away once warmed up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Flex pipe replaced. Noise gone.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)