16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
will the s550 hood be made of aluminum?
Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Yes Just like the S-197 has had since 2005 along with the Front Fenders and Rear Decklid.

OP
OP

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Good info guys thanks !!

Pretty soon, especially once everyone is blown away by the new mostly aluminum 2015 F-150, all Ford's could be entirely made from aluminum. I bet this will be the future trend for just about every production vehicle.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Alum is too pricey, in 10 years most cars will be carbon fiber and ownership will be longer. As the auto market is about to change.

Sponsored

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Good info guys thanks !!

Pretty soon, especially once everyone is blown away by the new mostly aluminum 2015 F-150, all Ford's could be entirely made from aluminum. I bet this will be the future trend for just about every production vehicle.
I agree. I see this being the trend.

Alum is too pricey, in 10 years most cars will be carbon fiber and ownership will be longer. As the auto market is about to change.
Not necessarily. Carbon fiber is extremely hard to work with and more expensive than aluminum. There are no mass production techniques that work well yet. I can't see it being mass produced in cars within the next 10 years. There is more to consider than just weight, such as repair-ability.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Yes Just like the S-197 has had since 2005 along with the Front Fenders and Rear Decklid.
As Tony pointed out, I'm pretty sure the aluminum fenders and rear deck lid are a new base feature on the S550.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Yes, I meant that the S-550's Front Fenders and Decklid are going to be Aluminum.

Sponsored

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
Switching to an aluminum deck lid and fenders I think would save around 50 pounds. That's pretty good.

Frizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got 4 wheels
GM is offering a caddy with Aluminum doors. IIRC they saved over 100Lbs by doing so. I wonder if FORD would do this as well.

Dirdle65

Threads
Reaction score
I understand the concern on the aluminum due to some having corrossion issues on earlier Mustang hoods. However the Mazda Miata has always had an an aluminum hood and trunk lid since 1989. Never has there been this defect. Not sure why one car would differ from the other by this.

As far as aluminum it can ding/dent/bend easier than steel, but it's not like you have to baby it. It's pretty strong and thick enough to fend off most things (gosh forbid you sit fully or stand on it), but it's not like it's noticeable at all. It will feel the same as steel (i.e. it's not like a beer can).

The weight difference is what is huge. That is why aluminum is becoming more poplar these days. Hopefully Ford gets it right this year (2015) so no corossion issues exist considering he fenders are also aluminum.

p.s. If unsure if it's steel or not try a magnet (fridge one will work fine). If it sticks it's steel, if it doesn't it's aluminum or or other.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
p.s. If unsure if it's steel or not try a magnet (fridge one will work fine). If it sticks it's steel, if it doesn't it's aluminum or or other.

Just an FYI, there are a few steel alloys(stainless among them) that are non-magnetic.
Sponsored