Sponsored

Alpine | PSU-300MTG (for base audio/ 16 GT350)

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
Anyone look into this? Its a slim subwoofer kit that fits in the passenger kickwell along with a 4 channel amp-pack.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/ford-mustang-sound-system-psu-300mtg

The chief complaints I had about my GT350 were
-Lack of low end (though the door woofers are better sounding than they were in a 12 speaker shaker for whatever reason)
-Middle range and treble muddy
-really have to crank the wheel to get volume, seems like there's not much oomph behind it

This seems like it solves 2 of the 3 issues, and provides some power to work on the front speakers with aftermarket units.

Anyone try this kit out? I'm not in my 20's, but I do listen to rock, some electronic stuff (think C2C, deadmaus, daft punk) , acoustic rock, alternative/seattle grunge, etc. Looking for better warmth and some more punch down low. Seems like despite the small size of the enclosure having it up in the front sound stage might be the ticket.

I tried reading reviews of just the woofer enclosure but many were looking for dual-12 type performance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I did. I overwhelmingly like it, and will post up a review shortly.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Nice to hear I ended up ordering one as well. During the install did you have to use the step drill to make the hole bigger for the clips?

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Also on my car, I had to grab an ATR/Micro2 add-a-fuse to provide an amp turn-on signal for the subwoofer. The oem turn-on lead wasn't enabled on my GT350.

Here's the review I sent to amazon:

"Installed on 2016 GT350 with Navigation / Tech Pack (though that car still has the base 7 speaker package). Before the car's audio was very anemic and lifeless, though sound was fairly detailed at moderate volume. This added much more clarity, punch, power and dynamics. The subwoofer provides a very solid bass foundation to build upon, much more bass than its size suggests it would be capable of. The sound is tight and fairly deep. It wont rattle windows, however you can feel the bass and see the mirrors move to give a sense. It blends very well, I had to play with the crossover settings however to tailor the sound to my liking. The 4 channel amplifier breathed new life into the stock speakers, but I later replaced those with drop-in powerbass ford speakers which the amplifier drove perfectly. I listen to many varied types of music and this kit makes me want to take long drives to enjoy my favorite songs with new detail and life to them. One star was removed as while the kit is very complete with brackets, mounting screws, harnesses, instructions, and spare parts; it had to be modified for my GT350 as the NAV ACM does not output a remote turn-on signal on the pin Alpine has wired the harness to. On base GT/V6/I4 cars, this may not be an issue. Tech support was somewhat helpful, but I used an add-a-fuse ATR kit on the #23 fuse in the kickpanel in the car to provide a turn-on signal for the sub amp. The main amp has a audio-sense function on the high level input."

Other things, don't mount it until you tweak the gain levels. I didn't like the factory recommended ones. I also flashed my ACM's as-built data to flatten the EQ/disable some of the processing and disable ACN (versus tear apart the headliner as their instructions say). I have a Rockford fosgate DSR1 dsp sitting here in a box, but I'm so happy with how it sounds now I'm not sure I'm going to bother to wire it up. I ended up installing powerbass speakers at the same time which also made a large improvement in overall detail. I set the crossovers on the front amp to 60 for the fronts, 80 for the rears (the instructions have you set them each at 120)

I'm uploading an album of install pictures now

Sponsored

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Thanks! Yea I wasn’t sure about the + power cable. In the install guide it say go to the battery + terminal but it looks like you went to the fuse box like it showed in the guide

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
yeah, I went to the top lug in the picture on fuse box (the cable coming from the battery basically). On the battery you'd have to take apart the positive locking lug, and this way was much cleaner. I routed it from the grommet in the fender over the top of the fender liner and back around to the fuse box from the front. It looks stock and is out of harm and heat's way. They give plenty of spare cable.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
i just saw the pic where you drilled. It dosn't look like it needed to be drilled for the screw to go through. Or was the screw much thicker?

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
It’s mostly about having enough room to get alignment when you sneak the clip brackets in. It’s a huge pain to get it lined up the first time. You could try without drilling but may end up causing frustration in alignment. It’s not in a visible location on the car thankfully and you couldn’t tell anything had been done otherwise

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Pics aren’t working in post above.

Where did you place the units in your vehicle?

In your written review, what are “Powerbass Ford” speakers?

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, imgur and forums never seem to go well together, despite imgur proving the bbcode easily. The album link works and I'll reupload the pictures later.

For the powerbass speakers, I used these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-GggSWleKDEo/p_151OE65CFD/PowerBass-OE65C-FD.html

They are designed to drop in on mustang, the tweeters pop right into the pillars and the woofers have the oem bracketry integrated along with factory connections. No third party adapters needed, and they sound great (especially amplified)

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Man i finished installing it but, putting in those 4 screws was harder than everything else

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I can relate to your suffering. It’s a really awkward position lifting that thing into place and holding it in alignment
Sponsored