Sponsored

Almost 60K for Loaded 2018 GT

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think most new cars are getting stupid expensive, and it's evident by some of the financing options available nowadays. Hell, they offer 84 month loans nowadays. That's insane.

It doesn't help that wage growth has stagnated, yet inflation and vehicle prices continue to rise and rise.
Actually inflation has been quite flat. 2017 is around 1.6-1.7%, which is why a 6% base price increase in one year is a questionable move.

Just a few years ago Mustang/Camaro/Challenger really only competed with each other, but the pricing is now putting them within striking distance of the next echelon. A potentially dangerous game.
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I don't get is why would anyone want magnetic ride WITHOUT the PP. There is no reason to honestly have it if you aren't going to be tracking the car and if you are tracking the car you're gonna want the PP.
The pricing on the PP really cheezes people, and I understand. It's a $1000 (33%) increase from '17 with no obvious changes other than tires.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I think the true issues are that people do not actually know or understand how to spec their cars for what they are actually going to do in them. That's the first step. The next is financial responsibility. Why would you want to pay 60k for a USED "suppose" to be better car, when you can pay UNDER that for a NEW car spec exactly how you want it and has not been beat on ???

For all of you claiming you can get a Z06 for less than 60k ? What year ? how many miles ? A ZL1 ?? Again..what year, how many miles ? Also I would not consider them better cars....I know owners of both who have had quite the share of issues. If you want Mustangs to be competitive with the BMW's and the "insert car here" then you need to pay for the actual "TECHNOLOGICAL" advances in said car. The things the new Mustang has are not free....and as it has been said before, its not like you need to spec to have.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
The pricing on the PP really cheezes people, and I understand. It's a $1000 (33%) increase from '17 with no obvious changes other than tires.
Which is understandable. They are coming with some of the best performing tires. Again, if you actually track you car, you would replace the typical shitty tires with a good MPSS/MPS4s anyways so you've already paid more than a $1,000 to do that. The problem is, as stated above. People don't know how to spec their car to their needs. If they wanted a track car, that price tag should seem acceptable. Purchasing a PP for a street car, not so much. I'm guilty. I just got the PP because I liked the looks of the big brakes, interior trim and lip. Not really worth the cost though.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Actually inflation has been quite flat. 2017 is around 1.6-1.7%, which is why a 6% base price increase in one year is a questionable move.

Just a few years ago Mustang/Camaro/Challenger really only competed with each other, but the pricing is now putting them within striking distance of the next echelon. A potentially dangerous game.
I'm sure your aware that more than just inflationary adjustments go into the pricing but it can depend greatly on what countries are manufacturing the individual pieces and parts. What is important as well are the commodity prices on the materials being used. World economics effect this small pricing fluctuation that can add up quickly in addition to US inflation increases. In the grand scheme of things, these vehicles were probably due for a pricing correction increase.

Sponsored

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
What I don't get is why would anyone want magnetic ride WITHOUT the PP. There is no reason to honestly have it if you aren't going to be tracking the car and if you are tracking the car you're gonna want the PP.
Wife approval would be my guess. I haven't looked in detail at magnaride but I'm guessing they have a touring option? On my S4 it was noticeably more "luxurious" ride and made my wife happier.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
Wife approval would be my guess. I haven't looked in detail at magnaride but I'm guessing they have a touring option? On my S4 it was noticeably more "luxurious" ride and made my wife happier.
Ya Magnaride is all around better, there should be an option for it even for non-PP people.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I think the true issues are that people do not actually know or understand how to spec their cars for what they are actually going to do in them. That's the first step. The next is financial responsibility. Why would you want to pay 60k for a USED "suppose" to be better car, when you can pay UNDER that for a NEW car spec exactly how you want it and has not been beat on ???
Dollar for dollar, the used option is always going to be the smarter option financially. But that's assuming you can find these mythical used low mileage cars at low prices. Results vary depending on your location.

With a new car you take that initial depreciation hit. There's no way you'll get close to that $60k number if you try to resell the car. With a used $60k car, it's not uncommon to drive it for a year and then resell it close to what you paid since you're not taking that initial depreciation hit.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Dollar for dollar, the used option is always going to be the smarter option financially. But that's assuming you can find these mythical used low mileage cars at low prices. Results vary depending on your location.

With a new car you take that initial depreciation hit. There's no way you'll get close to that $60k number if you try to resell the car. With a used $60k car, it's not uncommon to drive it for a year and then resell it close to what you paid since you're not taking that initial depreciation hit.
The depreciation hit can me ameliorated by negotiating a low price. Work the deal, get it low.

A brand new car, with warranty, is waaaaay better than a used car with little or no warranty, and whatever repairs/maintenance it may need.

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
Ok here is a thought. Ford raised the base and option prices to offset rebates / discounts that will be offered on 2018 Mustangs - after all rebates / discounts Ford will increase their "net" per vehicle which remains the same or more than 2017 Mustang.

I recall seeing 2017 YTD sales below 2016. This decrease in sales may validate some of the comments that the content / technology additions do not justify (individuality) the 2018 pricing.

Sponsored

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
While I agree the pricing for the 2018 Stang's is higher than most everyone expected, the prices are in line with the 2017, and probably 2018, Camaro. What I don't like, however, is how Ford managed the available options and packages; if one wants the Magna Ride suspension, the PP has to be included. This essentially makes it a $5700.00 option.

If one doesn't have to have a V-8 in their 2018 Stang', the "Bargain Performance Sleeper" is the 18 EB Base with the new 10 speed automatic transmission and PP; its invoice price is: $31,255.64. With X Plan (and $1250 currently available in rebates), one may be able to improve upon that price. Presuming Ford Racing offers a tune for the 18 EB and the after market fabricates a superior quality FMIC (if the 15-17 won't fit the 18's), one may invest around $1500.00 to upgrade the two most obvious "weak points" of the car.

In my opinion (and yes, I may be in the minority here...I understand that), for around 32,500 (after rebates, taxes and the additional cost of FR performance tune for the 18 and an aftermarket FMIC), the EB base with the new 10 speed automatic transmission and PP isn't a bad performance bargain at all. Tuned the 18 EB will likely produce 0 to 60 times of around 4.6- 4.7 seconds and quarter mile times of 13.5 - 13.6 at 101/102 MPH. A marked decrease in both 0 to 60 and quarter mile times from the 15-17 EB's with automatic, PP and the FR tune. Not bad numbers at all and again, in my opinion, a very reasonable price, for the performance you receive.
It is the bargain sleeper ...Plus 1. A loaded ecoboost premium automatic all options no vert pp with magneride $ 43,865 sticker price. 2010 GT V8 power. It will also have less weight than the GT.:headbang:

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
yup, i had a base 2012 wrx sedan, i think i paid 23k out the door, and i got almost 19k on a trade, almost 3 years later. im sure it blew up a few weeks later :lol:

Subaru is probably the only brand car that I've owned were depreciation doesn't shit the bed. I lost 7k on my WRX from the time I bought it new until the time I sold it with 58k miles in 2 years. My GT is already down 10k with 20k miles. At least us base PP owners didn't take quite the hit as a premium.

AGM2018

It is the bargain sleeper ...Plus 1. A loaded ecoboost premium automatic all options no vert pp with magneride $ 43,865 sticker price. 2010 GT V8 power. It will also have less weight than the GT.:headbang:
It is telling, in terms of price difference between the EB and GT, one may purchase a loaded EB (sans convertible trim) for less than a GT premium with the 10 Speed Automatic Transmission, 301A and PP. The 10K+ plus difference between a GT and EB, plus higher insurance rates for the GT, will (in my opinion) spur many who want a mustang to look at/test drive an EB, who in the last generation would not or did not consider it.

In a year's time, it is going to be interesting to see how many people purchase this iteration's "Best Bang For The Buck" model and how many "Pony Up" the dinero to purchase the GT, regardless of price. One obvious point to note (and I am not trying to start an argument...so everyone please don't take this personally or in the wrong manner) is that no matter how much HP a car produces (460 GT or 310 EB), one may only use a finite amount in daily commuting and/or on road driving. With that fact in mind, many consumers (again only my opinion) are going to be strongly drawn to buy the EB for its great style, better-than-average HP and acceleration, lower initial purchase price and lower cost to insure. This iteration of the EB may, in fact, sell better than the 15-17 version....and wouldn't FOMOCO love that!! :ford:

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think a tuned, manual EB would be a really fun car to own.....but that sound...I saw the "Car Fix" show on Velocity this past weekend and the guys put a Borla kit on an EB (upgraded turbo, tune, exhaust), car made good numbers but the exhaust note, even with the Borla exhaust kit, was awful. 4 cyl cars can sound great (Alfa 4C is wicked sounding, for example) so not sure what about the Ford 2.3 architecture that makes is sound so bad.........of course, that is simply my opinion as I'm sure many EB owners will tell me how wrong I am........

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which is understandable. They are coming with some of the best performing tires. Again, if you actually track you car, you would replace the typical shitty tires with a good MPSS/MPS4s anyways so you've already paid more than a $1,000 to do that. The problem is, as stated above. People don't know how to spec their car to their needs. If they wanted a track car, that price tag should seem acceptable. Purchasing a PP for a street car, not so much. I'm guilty. I just got the PP because I liked the looks of the big brakes, interior trim and lip. Not really worth the cost though.
True, but Ford isn't paying for the takeoffs. The price difference between Pzeros and MPS4s is not 250 a tire.
Sponsored