Sponsored

Almost 60K for Loaded 2018 GT

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Who cares about line lock. How long have people been doing burnouts the old fashioned way? Long before you and I were born.

Engines these days are held to strict standards. The v8 and ecoboost both should last 200k plus miles with regular maintenance. With or without burnouts. Would you rather have a car that was babied with oil consumption issues or someone who properly broke the car in and drives it aggressively? Who's really the schmuck? :thumbsup:
Is that a serious question? I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would much rather have the car that was babied than the one that was driven hard by the douche who more than likely ran it up to redline when cold and didn't do proper maintenance on it.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I just think we should all start practicing now. It's a world class super car that competes with cars twice it's price. It's sales are not hurting. Ford is make more per transaction. Even though they are in last place in sales every month. The other guys are making all their sales in fleet contracts.:headbonk:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I just think we should all start practicing now. It's a world class super car that competes with cars twice it's price. It's sales are not hurting. Ford is make more per transaction. Even though they are in last place in sales every month. The other guys are making all their sales in fleet contracts.:headbonk:
So strategically I don't understand how car makers successfully market vehicles with a >2x pricing difference between base and high end trim (excluding specialty/limited production). Yea, a base Ecoboost is $25K and a loaded GT is close to $50K with a convertible easily well over $50. As has been said many times when people start complaining about fit/finish, it's the same basic car produced on the same line as the $25K Ecoboost. While that may be true, if I'm paying $45K, it's a $45K car. Certainly Ford is not alone in this, European brands are famous for options (although I just priced the difference between a base 320 ($33K) and a fairly loaded 340 M-sport ($56K) and it was only 69%).

I think there is some line you cross where you can't argue that the cars heritage as a budget vehicle is an excuse.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I am already a pro :amen:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

So strategically I don't understand how car makers successfully market vehicles with a >2x pricing difference between base and high end trim (excluding specialty/limited production). Yea, a base Ecoboost is $25K and a loaded GT is close to $50K with a convertible easily well over $50. As has been said many times when people start complaining about fit/finish, it's the same basic car produced on the same line as the $25K Ecoboost. While that may be true, if I'm paying $45K, it's a $45K car. Certainly Ford is not alone in this, European brands are famous for options (although I just priced the difference between a base 320 ($33K) and a fairly loaded 340 M-sport ($56K) and it was only 69%).

I think there is some line you cross where you can't argue that the cars heritage as a budget vehicle is an excuse.
Easy. They know people will pay the price. Ford knows their audience well. Why not squeeze more money out of the person that can't live without the v8 or without a convertible, etc.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Is that a serious question? I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would much rather have the car that was babied than the one that was driven hard by the douche who more than likely ran it up to redline when cold and didn't do proper maintenance on it.
Is this a serious answer? I think I speak for everyone when I say you are wrong. First off, let me say there is a huge difference between someone who has driven their car hard (properly?) and someone who has neglected their car. Those two categories don't belong in the same group. Second, some of the people that drive their car hard are the same people who keep up maintenance on their car. People that baby their car might be an elderly person who doesn't know when something is wrong. Basically, it's situational.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Hey guys my GF shifted my auto into 1st from 4th and it rev'd all the way up to 4k RPM do I have anything to worry about?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Hey guys my GF shifted my auto into 1st from 4th and it rev'd all the way up to 4k RPM do I have anything to worry about?
Just sell it now!

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Easy. They know people will pay the price. Ford knows their audience well. Why not squeeze more money out of the person that can't live without the v8 or without a convertible, etc.
Every seller is trying to maximize profit. The balance is between margin and volume. Ford could go boutique (like the Ford GT I guess) and charge $100K for the Mustang and only sell a few hundred, but that's never been the Mustang's market segment. Based on 2017 sales, I would not be so sure how many people will pay the price. Oh sure, there will be early adopters ordering early and paying MSRP, but I predict by this time next year the 2018s will have discounts comparable to the 2017s right now. And maybe that's the game Ford is playing. Milk the "gotta have it" crowd early, then drop prices later for those not quite so eager.

Reactions: Ebm

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Not exactly to your EB vs GT point, but I'm struggling with a GT "best bang" vs GT "pony up" question.

I want the V8 because I love the sound, I want a stick shift because, and I want a convertible since I live in FL. Although I have a background as an SCCA road racer, the car will never see the track or drag.

What I'm struggling with is when I play with the configurator and say to myself the six piston Brembo and the TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio from the PP sounds great, the MagneRide™ Damping System sounds good, ditto the toys in the 401A and before I know it the car is $55,175.

Or I can only add the 20" wheels so I get some decent tires and a reasonable width and the active exhaust so I don't upset my neighbors and be at $47,685.

Any comments would be appreciated.
How long you are planning to own the car? Also, can you afford the higher price without significant sacrifice elsewhere?

This is always a tough call, but ask yourself this: If you paid $47,000+ and were not happy with the car, did you essentially waste $47,000? If you paid $55,000 but loved the car, would you consider that money well spent?

I tend to keep cars for a long time, and therefore would rather option it how I really wanted and spend the extra, rather than sacrificing some aspects that I would regret later.

For me, that typically means getting as much of the performance stuff as I can. I was OK spending ~$60,000 on a Mustang in order to get the chassis tuning, suspension, and engine in the GT350. But I still have the base interior. I would rather have spent the extra $3000 (or whatever) it costs to get the upgraded interior, but that wasn't an option when I purchased mine. I'm fine with what I have, but if it had been an option I would probably be a little disappointed because the interior upgrade is a significant step up in aesthetics (plus you get the toggle switches) and I would regret not spending the additional 5%.

Anyhow, without seeing any reviews it is tough to say how good the normal GT Magneride will be, but if it is anything like the suspension setup on the GT350, it will be worth getting IMO.

-T

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Is this a serious answer? I think I speak for everyone when I say you are wrong. First off, let me say there is a huge difference between someone who has driven their car hard (properly?) and someone who has neglected their car. Those two categories don't belong in the same group. Second, some of the people that drive their car hard are the same people who keep up maintenance on their car. People that baby their car might be an elderly person who doesn't know when something is wrong. Basically, it's situational.
Now you're just being obtuse. The stereotypical person that babies their car is the one who changes oil religiously, washes and waxes every weekend, and isn't always banging the rev limiter. Your "elderly person who doesn't know when something is wrong" scenario doesn't really fit into either group, they are just regular owners.

But I digress, as I would normally agree with you that you should buy used so you don't take the depreciation hit. But in the case of the Mustang, which is a cheap car that is accessible by pretty much anybody above the poverty line, you are going to sometimes have riff-raff first owners as opposed to say a 911.

OP
OP

WPStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
How long you are planning to own the car? Also, can you afford the higher price without significant sacrifice elsewhere?

This is always a tough call, but ask yourself this: If you paid $47,000+ and were not happy with the car, did you essentially waste $47,000? If you paid $55,000 but loved the car, would you consider that money well spent?

I tend to keep cars for a long time, and therefore would rather option it how I really wanted and spend the extra, rather than sacrificing some aspects that I would regret later.

For me, that typically means getting as much of the performance stuff as I can. I was OK spending ~$60,000 on a Mustang in order to get the chassis tuning, suspension, and engine in the GT350. But I still have the base interior. I would rather have spent the extra $3000 (or whatever) it costs to get the upgraded interior, but that wasn't an option when I purchased mine. I'm fine with what I have, but if it had been an option I would probably be a little disappointed because the interior upgrade is a significant step up in aesthetics (plus you get the toggle switches) and I would regret not spending the additional 5%.

Anyhow, without seeing any reviews it is tough to say how good the normal GT Magneride will be, but if it is anything like the suspension setup on the GT350, it will be worth getting IMO.

-T
In my opinion a GT350 is a special car and worth the extra money.
Likewise a ZL1 or other high performance variant of either the Mustang or Camaro.
However I feel a GT or SS priced in the mid to high 50K range defeats the purpose of these cars. The GT and SS have always been about good performance at a reasonable price.
At 45K a fully optioned GT/SS makes sense to me, at 55K, not so much.
Sponsored