Sponsored

All season tires

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Iv read that the tires on the PP1 cars do not like cold weather, i think i read once its gets in the 40's?

I want to be able to drive the car even when cold out. If i buy some all season tires would i only need
rears or do i need all 4?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
He is in Wi, it gets below zero there.

OP, change all 4

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
All season tires are OK where the weather doesn't get extreme. If you live in an area that gets much snow you might also consider a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the snow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
He is in Wi, it gets below zero there.

OP, change all 4
Exactly. You do not mix different types of tires, ever. Most folks on here are going to recommend dedicated winter tires especially where you live. A dedicated set of wheels will make seasonal changing easier if your budget can afford it.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I want to be able to drive the car even when cold out. If i buy some all season tires would i only need
In Wisconsin? Two ways to go:
  1. If you will rarely or never drive when there's more than an inch of snow on the roads (note: on the roads, not on the ground), you can do four all-season tires. You can keep them on all year, but summer cornering / stopping / handling will suffer (the summer tires make up a major part of the performance of the PP1 package that you've ordered).
  2. If you will regularly drive when there's snow on the road, you want true winter tires, again on all four corners.
If you're going to get all seasons and leave them on all year, put them on the stock wheels and be done with it.

If you're only going to use the all seasons in the winter (which doesn't make ton of sense) or are going to use true snow/ice tires in the winter, you should really consider getting a dedicated set of wheels for your winter set. If not, the tire guys will muck up your stock wheels during the change at some point.

FWIW, I drive my car in the winter but have a 4x4 Tacoma for bad weather days. So for me, I went with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter performance tires (245/45-R19 on all 4 corners) on a set of Ford Performance 19x9 Boss 302 wheels. It was a bit spendy, but I've never regretted it. If I didn't have the Tacoma, I would have gone for the Blizzak WS snow / ice tires that I had on all my other cars since 2007.

And, the Boss 302 wheels look decent as well:
snow-tires-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
I have other vehicals for snow. I'm mostly concerned with temperatures. If there is any snow or slush of any kind I'll not use the stang.

Are wheels from LMR the typical way to get 4 wheels or is there a more budget friendly option?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
In Wisconsin? Two ways to go:
  1. If you will rarely or never drive when there's more than an inch of snow on the roads (note: on the roads, not on the ground), you can do four all-season tires. You can keep them on all year, but summer cornering / stopping / handling will suffer (the summer tires make up a major part of the performance of the PP1 package that you've ordered).
  2. If you will regularly drive when there's snow on the road, you want true winter tires, again on all four corners.
If you're going to get all seasons and leave them on all year, put them on the stock wheels and be done with it.

If you're only going to use the all seasons in the winter (which doesn't make ton of sense) or are going to use true snow/ice tires in the winter, you should really consider getting a dedicated set of wheels for your winter set. If not, the tire guys will muck up your stock wheels during the change at some point.

FWIW, I drive my car in the winter but have a 4x4 Tacoma for bad weather days. So for me, I went with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter performance tires (245/45-R19 on all 4 corners) on a set of Ford Performance 19x9 Boss 302 wheels. It was a bit spendy, but I've never regretted it. If I didn't have the Tacoma, I would have gone for the Blizzak WS snow / ice tires that I had on all my other cars since 2007.

And, the Boss 302 wheels look decent as well:
snow-tires-jpg.jpg
Why do you say, all-seasons on their own wheels "doesn't make sense"?
Like the OP, I live in an area that has cold winters but still like to drive my car when it's not snowing out. I had a dedicated winter/wheel tire setup and summer wheel/tire setup on my 15GT and thought the winter tires were 2 aggressive and made the car lack a lot of it's handling benefits, kinda squshy and were very noisy on the highway.
So on my Mach 1, I will be doing a set of Continentals DWS sport with dedicated wheels that will be on November- April
Should cost me about $2300

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I grew up in Wisconsin and I never owned a set of winter tires. All seasons are fine even in snow.

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Iv read that the tires on the PP1 cars do not like cold weather, i think i read once its gets in the 40's?

I went with Michelin PS A/S 3+ they are awesome all season tires. To tell you the truth I can’t feel the difference between them and the PS4S that the car came with, but I don’t drive that aggressive. My original intention was to get a set of rims for the PS4S but I never got around to it. They sit in my basement collecting dust. I don’t drive the Mustang in snow but still wanted to be able to drive year round. You can’t go wrong with the A/S 3+ , they might even be up to a A/S 4

Sponsored

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
Whatever you do, don't drive on those summer performance tires when it's below 45F. My Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars got greasy scary, even worse when it rains at those temperatures.

Living in Alabama, now I have two sets of wheels with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (summer) and AS3s (winterish).

The 4s are particularly grippy, but the AS3s are really good, too.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you say, all-seasons on their own wheels "doesn't make sense"?
Because if you're only going to have one car but two sets of tires , all seasons are a mediocre choice for winter if there's anything meaningful on the roadway.

So on my Mach 1, I will be doing a set of Continentals DWS sport with dedicated wheels that will be on November- April
Should cost me about $2300
Good luck. I had a set of DWS (~600 miles from new) on my 335xi when I got caught in an unexpected October ice storm. I was in a line of traffic creeping at under walking speed and I touched the brakes when the car in front of me stopped for a light. All 4 wheels locked, and never started spinning as I drifted forward about 10 feet, fortunately hitting a curb before hitting the guy in front of me.

All-seasons on ice are worthless. Winters may not be much better, but they are better.

You want a decent ride, handling, low noise, etc.? Try a performance winter like the Pilot Alpins mentioned above. They beat the hell out of a DWS, and they have nowhere near the squish of a snow / ice tire.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I grew up in Wisconsin and I never owned a set of winter tires. All seasons are fine even in snow.
They're "fine" until they aren't. See the ice storm story above.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
All-seasons on ice are worthless. Winters may not be much better, but they are better.
Only studded tires will work on solid ice. I did have those for ice racing on the lakes.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Blizzaks, Baby! Great Winter tire
Sponsored