Sponsored

All New BARTON HYBRID 3 SHIFTER

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I was at an event over the weekend where Barton had a booth set up. I got to hold the shifter in my hand. It felt like a precision piece of equipment. The shifter linkage had no side to side slop in it at all, and wasn't built dainty. I also sat in their car with one installed and moved it through the gears. It IS a bit stiff and would take some getting used to but felt pretty positive. The shifter felt like it was mounted in a block of granite, lol. Wished I could have driven it! If I ever switch to a replacement shifter instead of my current setup, Barton would be high on my list.
Sponsored

ThrillSeekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Edition
New Flat Stick Shifter Installed (w/ Pics)

I have eagerly been watching the development of the flat stick shifter option for the M6G, as I had a Barton shifter installed in my Challenger that had the flat stick design. There was something just dead sexy about the flat black aluminum w/ the Barton engraving that I really enjoyed.

I have been emailing and calling Dave quite a bit as soon as I heard they were ready for release. I already have the original Barton Short Throw Shifter installed in my car, albeit it had the pull-up to reverse feature. After confirming it was just a simple cartridge swap, I whipped out my credit card in a hurry. I received the UPS Notification that my flat shifter cartridge had arrived this afternoon - and hauled ass home from work.

Install was a breeze! Quick disassembly of the center console to get the original Barton cartridge exposed - pulled the 4 bolts that were holding it into the rest of the Barton assembly underneath the car - and out popped the old cartridge.

Moment of truth - Does the new shifter cartridge just drop right in??? YES.

Reinstalled the 4 bolts to hold the new cartridge in place. At this point, I started up my car to verify there wasn't any binding and everything was engaged - and of course, everything was perfect the first time.

Reassembled the rest of the boot assembly - Save both the rubber gasket and the rubber dust boot. They are re-used on the new cartridge.

Ahead of time, I purchased another OEM Ford shifter boot. It is a quick and easy modification to fit onto the flat stick shifter.

Driving impressions - I like it. I like it a lot. I like it better then the original Barton w/ the reverse pull-up. This cartridge feels much smoother through the gates, and less notchy (if that makes sense). On my original Barton, I felt like I had to give two tugs - i.e. first to neutral and then a second minor one to get it from neutral to second. My opinion based on driving it afterwards is that this has been entirely eliminated with the flat stick shifter. Everything was crisp and smooth throughout. Reverse works exactly as advertised. You really do not need to push down very much at all.

Kudos to Barton on a Winner!!!

EDIT: Dave was nice enough to point out that I needed to pivot the cartridge 180 degrees. The silver pin sticking out of the center of the shifter should be on the passenger side. Still works great!!!
49800363060__85E6A015-1144-410F-979D-64E24F868CC1 copy.jpg
IMG_1054 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have eagerly been watching the development of the flat stick shifter option for the M6G, as I had a Barton shifter installed in my Challenger that had the flat stick design. There was something just dead sexy about the flat black aluminum w/ the Barton engraving that I really enjoyed.

I have been emailing and calling Dave quite a bit as soon as I heard they were ready for release. I already have the original Barton Short Throw Shifter installed in my car, albeit it had the pull-up to reverse feature. After confirming it was just a simple cartridge swap, I whipped out my credit card in a hurry. I received the UPS Notification that my flat shifter cartridge had arrived this afternoon - and hauled ass home from work.

Install was a breeze! Quick disassembly of the center console to get the original Barton cartridge exposed - pulled the 4 bolts that was holding it into the rest of the Barton assembly underneath the car - and out popped the old cartridge.

Moment of truth - Does the new shifter cartridge just drop right in??? YES.

Reinstalled the 4 bolts to hold the new cartridge in place. At this point, I started up my car to verify there wasn't any binding and everything was engaged - and of course, everything was perfect the first time. Reassembled the rest of the boot assembly.

Save both the rubber gasket and the rubber dust boot. They are re-used on the new cartridge.

Ahead of time, I purchased another OEM Ford shifter boot. It is a quick and easy modification to fit onto the flat stick shifter.

Driving impressions - I like it. I like it a lot. I like it better then the original Barton w/ the reverse pull-up. This cartridge feels much smoother through the gates, and less notchy (if that makes sense). On my original Barton, I felt like I had to give two tugs - i.e. first to neutral and then a second minor one to get it from neutral to second. My opinion based on driving it afterwards is that this has been entirely eliminated with the flat stick shifter. Everything was crisp and smooth throughout. Reverse works exactly as advertised. You really do not need to push down very much at all.

Kudos to Barton on a Winner!!!
That's looks killer. Is that a trans or body mount?

ThrillSeekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's looks killer. Is that a trans or body mount?
Body mount. I have not noticed any NVH increase from the previous setup, and the NVH is negligible to non-existent with this setup too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThrillSeekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, I love that look. How tall is this shifter compared to stock?
It's shorter then stock - I can't tell by how much though as I never measured the height of the stock shifter. On the Barton, it is 4 1/2 inches - measured from where the top of the leather boot exposes the metal shaft to the top of the shifter ball.

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I have this shifter installed in my 2016 V6 body mounted. As a daily driver this shifter is awesome. Nice feedback when putting it in gear, precise shifts, noticeable throw reduction, slight vibration increase at certain RPM as I can feel it in the parking brake handle. All in all I'm really happy with the purchase.

My only problem/concern is when I occasionally go to the track. The first time I ran with the shifter I couldn't put it in 2nd gear 4 runs in a row - I've NEVER had that happen with stock shifter...EVER. I've had 2>3 lock outs, but 1>2 has always been fine. It feels like there is something preventing me from putting it in 2nd at 7k RPM. Is it supposed to be like this, or could there be something wrong as a local shop installed it? Thoughts?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My only problem/concern is when I occasionally go to the track. The first time I ran with the shifter I couldn't put it in 2nd gear 4 runs in a row - I've NEVER had that happen with stock shifter...EVER. I've had 2>3 lock outs, but 1>2 has always been fine. It feels like there is something preventing me from putting it in 2nd at 7k RPM. Is it supposed to be like this, or could there be something wrong as a local shop installed it? Thoughts?
The factory body mount causes that kind of problem. Regardless of how likely that might be with a particular body mounted aftermarket, if you have a shifter that can be transmission mounted, I would do that and not have to worry about it ever again. Or you can try to adjust the body mount and reduce the problem. But won't you be wondering if its 100% fixed or just 99.5% and waiting to bite you again?

Their product evolved to allow a transmission mount. They didn't do that to make it worse. Body mount is for reduced vibration and easier to install. If you want the absolute best shift quality, mount it to the transmission.

OP
OP

BARTON INDUSTRIES

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Bartonshifters.com
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have this shifter installed in my 2016 V6 body mounted. As a daily driver this shifter is awesome. Nice feedback when putting it in gear, precise shifts, noticeable throw reduction, slight vibration increase at certain RPM as I can feel it in the parking brake handle. All in all I'm really happy with the purchase.

If you have a V6 then you have our original shifter which has been discontinued. The Hybrid 3 is only available for the GT at the Moment. If your getting locked out of 2nd at High RPM it could be a ton of different things. Shoot me an email [email protected] Im not always on the forum and Email will be easier to get this resolved.

Sponsored

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
If you have a V6 then you have our original shifter which has been discontinued. The Hybrid 3 is only available for the GT at the Moment. If your getting locked out of 2nd at High RPM it could be a ton of different things. Shoot me an email [email protected] Im not always on the forum and Email will be easier to get this resolved.
Sent you an email. Thanks for jumping on this Dave.

Oneless70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leslie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6sp PerfPk DIB
Installed mine (body mount) and took it to the track (Road Atlanta). Rock solid, positive shifts. Takes a firm hand, but I never noticed when I was lapping under the influence of adrenaline. Has broken in a little since then, which was two weeks ago, now feels like a high-end bolt-action rifle going gear to gear.
Love it, would buy it again today. Pro-tip - brush up on your cussing if you plan to do this using regular jack stands. I did, and it was not optimal to say the least. This was the first major mechanical work I've ever done on a car, and now I've got the bug. Do I go exhaust or suspension next...

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Installed mine (body mount) and took it to the track (Road Atlanta). Rock solid, positive shifts. Takes a firm hand, but I never noticed when I was lapping under the influence of adrenaline. Has broken in a little since then, which was two weeks ago, now feels like a high-end bolt-action rifle going gear to gear.
Love it, would buy it again today. Pro-tip - brush up on your cussing if you plan to do this using regular jack stands. I did, and it was not optimal to say the least. This was the first major mechanical work I've ever done on a car, and now I've got the bug. Do I go exhaust or suspension next...
If you tackled the exhaust at the same time you can drop the trans down much further so there is less cursing trying to get your hands in there :)

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Just got my flat stick today. Does anyone know the differences between the S197 kit and ours? I didn't get any paperwork (to check model numbers) and the shift ball has the wrong pattern (which isn't a big deal) so I'm a little concerned. I want to hit the track next week and tomorrow is my only day to install this before then. I shot them am email, but most people are off on the weekends lol. Hope my forum people can chime in.
Sponsored