Sponsored

All New BARTON HYBRID 3 SHIFTER

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
The way it looks to me, when having it body mounted you gain up and down and front to back freedom, but you are still restrained when rotating about the north-south axis (torquing), as you are when trans mounted.
If I understand the explanation correctly, I believe what you missed was stated by [MENTION=10162]BARTON INDUSTRIES[/MENTION];

Our rear bracket that attaches to the car has polyurethane bushings in it allowing for the movement needed. They are firm enough that you are not going to deflect the shifter while shifting but soft enough that the shifter still can go where it needs to with the trans. The bolt that goes through the linkage allows for the left to right movement of the linkage, it acts as a pivot in itself.
The front of the shifter is mounted to the transmission and follows the torquing (North South axis). The rear of the shifter is mounted to the body using a polyurethane bushing that allows enough movement for the rear of the shifter to rotate with front that is mounted to the transmission. As stated, the bushing is firm enough that it cannot be moved while you are shifting, but soft enough to allow the movement when the transmission torques.

MGW was on my soon to purchase list, but I'm now seriously considering this shifter to go with the body mount instead. I don't see how the linkage could bind due to the way it is designed. Plus, that flat stick look is retro and is the bomb! :headbang:
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
It's a nice shifter, I'm curious to see the comparisons to MGW. My only concern is that this has more moving parts than with the MGW, so with that comes the potential for more problems in comparison. Not saying the concern bares any weight, just a thought.

Now as for design I would much prefer the flat portion of the stick be free of markings. You don't need your name all over the damn thing.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It's a nice shifter, I'm curious to see the comparisons to MGW. My only concern is that this has more moving parts than with the MGW, so with that comes the potential for more problems in comparison. Not saying the concern bares any weight, just a thought.

Now as for design I would much prefer the flat portion of the stick be free of markings. You don't need your name all over the damn thing.
That's a fair point, but I'm going to buy the Barton. It has superior functionality. With that comes a few extra failure points. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

ThrillSeekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Edition
I'll bet if you asked nicely, they can send you the flat stick minus the engraving! In all of my numerous communications with Barton, they've been super friendly and accommodating. After several emails and calls, my flat stick cartridge setup is ordered.

OP
OP

BARTON INDUSTRIES

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Bartonshifters.com
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Other than the pivots in the linkage I'm not sure what other moving parts you are referring too? If its trans mounted then the linkage doesn't have any moving parts.

As far as not needing our name on the side of the shifter. Again, that is a preference thing and why we built this shifter the way we did. Some people want the name on the stick, the ball, and a decal to put on the car. Others don't. We offer the stick in a standard brushed aluminum finish, black anodize finish, or even powder coated to paint match your car, all with our without the logo.

Sponsored

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Just ordered. My first transmission mod, I have exhaust on the way and assume it'll be easier to do this with the exhaust out. Does this need the driveline dropped too?

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Does this lower the location of the shit shift knob any?

OP
OP

BARTON INDUSTRIES

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Bartonshifters.com
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Lost Cosmonaut- I appreciate the order. You do need to drop the Trans Support bracket, 4 bolts, It will allow the trans to sag about 1.5 inches, just enough to get the top bolt out of the shifter.

Five Liter- Yes, the shift knob will sit almost 1 inch lower... To be exact it will sit .866 lower based off the cad file. Of course each car will be slightly different.

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
So the trans mount gets more nvh? If so i like that. I know others dont but i like the old school feel like my foxbody had when i had a cam and the shifter would shake at idle.:headbang:

Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Five Liter- Yes, the shift knob will sit almost 1 inch lower... To be exact it will sit .866 lower based off the cad file. Of course each car will be slightly different.
Awesome, I think that will be the perfect height, the stock shifter is just a touch too tall.

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
Looks good. Waiting for something like this for the GT350

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
So it would seem the tranny mount would more closely mimic a direct shifter than the body mount. But it seems like most people lean towards the body mount. Is the vibration that bad? Anyone done a tranny mount who can comment?

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Got my Hybrid 3 installed last night. Shifts are INCREDIBLE now. Mine is set up in trans mount mode. It does increase vibration at the knob but no noise or anything, you only notice when you touch the knob and you shouldn't be resting your hand on the knob anyway.

Install wasn't too bad, the biggest problem is Barton hasn't released an install video for the S550 Hybrid 3 yet, so I had to piece it together from their older S550 video and the Hybrid 3 install for the S197 video. A few observations from the install in the video:

The roll pin driver for the OEM shifter wasn't included in my kit. Thank goodness it's easy to drive out with a hammer and a punch/drill bit, so no biggie, but you do have to take apart the OEM shifter shaft to get the thing apart (I was hoping I wouldn't have to).

You won't be able to close the clamshell of the Hybrid 3 with the tranny dropped, and it will also make installing the linkage that much harder with the tranny dropped, but the problem is it's very hard to get up there with the tranny mount in place, kind of a vicious cycle. I got the linkage in, then the upper arm mount, then bolted the tranny back in place and then put the clamshell together, and it went relatively smooth at that point.

In the video he mounted the lower brace block to the transmission mount and then slid the arms on and bolted them in place. This is easy on a bench transmission like he uses in the video but nearly impossible to do with everything in place in the car. It was much easier to slide the brace arms on to the block and then slide the whole thing in to place. They will fit past the driveshaft no problem. Make sure to leave some slack in the bottom block until you have the tops of the arms bolted in, and then tighten the block and finally the clamps on the arms.

My kit also came with a much better looking custom gasket than the crappy looking off the shelf '70s rubber boot shown in the videos, that was a nice touch.

Shifts are definitely much crisper and more direct, the gates are much easier to find on the fly. There's still some notchiness but not nearly what it was stock, and I suspect that will go away if I switch to the SyncroShift like everyone else suggests. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, it's like a new car.
Sponsored