All-Black Diffuser

glennQNYC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Hi everybody; first post! My 72 year old father is picking up his Triple Yellow GTPP (w/ black skunk stripes) Wednesday so I've been diving deep into learning about the car.

I'm surprised I don't see more discussion about painting the rear valance/diffuser all black. Ever since checking out the 6G Mustang at the NYIAS last spring I thought the diffuser needed to be blacked out. I must be in the minority because I barely see a mention of this mod!

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everybody; first post! My 72 year old father is picking up his Triple Yellow GTPP (w/ black skunk stripes) Wednesday so I've been diving deep into learning about the car.

I'm surprised I don't see more discussion about painting the rear valance/diffuser all black. Ever since checking out the 6G Mustang at the NYIAS last spring I thought the diffuser needed to be blacked out. I must be in the minority because I barely see a mention of this mod!

Thoughts?
My issue with all black diffusers is that the trend is largely played out. There's been a late shift of focusing on spicing up diffuser design across the industry, given that most of these are largely form over function in the first place. I think the layered diffuser adds a bit of visual complexity without increasing the visual mass. All black diffusers are always a safe choice though. Makes the car look nice and wide.

OP
OP

glennQNYC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
My issue with all black diffusers is that the trend is largely played out. There's been a late shift of focusing on spicing up diffuser design across the industry, given that most of these are largely form over function in the first place. I think the layered diffuser adds a bit of visual complexity without increasing the visual mass. All black diffusers are always a safe choice though. Makes the car look nice and wide.
I'm in sync with most of your points; the only strong objection is the first sentence. I wouldn't consider an all-black diffuser a trend at all... It is the default! My position is that doing anything more than an all black or carbon diffuser is the trendy design direction.

Your last three sentences are where we most strongly agree. My eye just keeps getting drawn to the bright diffuser like spinach in someone's teeth.

My father probably wouldn't black out his diffuser, so I've been actively trying to learn to appreciate the stock look. I'm just surprised there isn't more people interested in this mod. Maybe as more people own the 6G?

Sponsored

peppersam740

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
rear deffuser

I blacked out the whole thing, I like this look

Broken2g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT PP
paint it with plasti dip

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I have a base and I plastidipped mine completely from the bumper line down. I think it looks awesome, especially with my black gibson exhaust.

WWJBD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I have a base and I plastidipped mine completely from the bumper line down. I think it looks awesome, especially with my black gibson exhaust.
PICS?!?!?

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Here you go. Sorry if some aren't great...flat light and cell phone camera.

There's a little spot on the left corner that I need to touch up. I'm assuming it happened when I removed the tape.

A couple tips:

1. Wash the bumper and let it dry overnight, or blow it off with an air hose. The reflectors like to hold water and drip slowly.

2. In order to make a hard line with plastidip, you need to pull the tape off while it's wet. I put my paper cover on first, and the tape line on last. I sprayed the 4 coats on the bottom section, but not any where the line on the bumper is. That you will do on the last coat, and do a full coat at once. Then pull the tape off right after you spray it and while the dip is still wet. If you wait until it dries, it will pull off some of your freshly dipped surface because it's also on the tape.

3. Tape the reverse light. Removing plastidip from the reflectors is easy, but there's a big gap between the bumper and reverse light.

I also did the front pony emblem:

I'm probably going to do the black part of the trunk lid and around the tail lights eventually...we'll see.

Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
NICE! I want to do exactly what you've done with mine, but I want to plastidip the 5.0 and GT logo's as well.

Is the dip you used a flat or gloss black color? I want to do mine in a flat/matte black, the front diffuser as well.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I used the flat. I'm debating the 5.0 badges. I sorta like how they blend in on the ingot. I'm thinking about doing the whole black trunk piece including the gt. Just tape off the lights.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Well the magic of plastidip is if you don't like the black 5.0 you can just take it off. BTW looks like we got the exact same car at the same dealer, lol.

EDIT: also if you wanna check out the california section it looks like a bay area meet up might be happening in the future.

Last edited:

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Nice! I got mine on Halloween. When are you getting yours?

I'll check out that thread.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Your guess is as good as mine. I just got my VIN today.
Sponsored