Alignment settings

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Due to the pretty severe tramlining, I rough-checked my alignment settings in the garage with a tram and caster/camber gage this morning. It has 1/32" toe out. Driver side camber was neg 1-3/8 deg and Pass side was neg 1 deg. However, as an after-thought I laid my big straightedge on the floor across the front of the car and it showed the floor is a bit high on the driver side. On a flat floor the Driver side camber would decrease and the Pass side would increase - so just roughly they are probably about equal at a hair over 1 deg negative.

Not to concerned about the camber but the toe-out does seem like an issue on the street. On the old cars I've garage lined the specs were always for 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in. And any toe out was always considered an issue with wandering and poor directionability - although on a race course it can help with turn in and cornering response.

So what do you think - dial in a bit of toe-in??:confused:
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ford spec is 0 toe, so adjust it. Adjust toe-in by half a flat on both sides and it'll be pretty much where you want it. Move both sides the same amount or the steering wheel won't sit straight.

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford spec is 0 toe, so adjust it. Adjust toe-in by half a flat on both sides and it'll be pretty much where you want it. Move both sides the same amount or the steering wheel won't sit straight.
Half a flat - thanks for that. It may be a few days before I get to it, but I'll report back if it helps any.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Ford Performance settings actually prescribe toe out (0.10) for the regular GT350.

I attached the official FP settings sheet. I now run a modified version of the GT350R settings (-2.5 camber, 0.06 toe in FRONT, -1.5 camber, 0.30 toe in REAR).
thumbnail.jpeg

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Note, that spec is for road course use and not for street use. I'd run a smidgen of toe in up front to minimize the tramlining. FWIW When I switched from the stock PSS tires to RE-71Rs for autocross the tramlining was minimized greatly even with an aggressive alignment.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It was crazy watching GT4 Mustang teams setup their cars with over 4° of negative camber.

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Well that is strange - slight toe out for the street car and slight toe in for the R. Just the opposite of what I would have expected. I may try for 0 toe and see if I can tell any difference.

I wonder if anyone else has experimented with adjusting toe just to deal with the tramlining and published their results?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Note, that spec is for road course use and not for street use. I'd run a smidgen of toe in up front to minimize the tramlining. FWIW When I switched from the stock PSS tires to RE-71Rs for autocross the tramlining was minimized greatly even with an aggressive alignment.
I agree. This is why I also do the same (a bit of toe in). Tramlining got a little better and what got a lot better for me was the on center 'feel' for lack of better words which on the street, for me, is important :).

What I noticed is that you can actually dial out tramlining more effectively with the right tire pressures.

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
What I noticed is that you can actually dial out tramlining more effectively with the right tire pressures.
What pressures do you run?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
What pressures do you run?
Anything over 30lbs front (cold) will improve tramlining to a degree. Now, if you go too high I do not like the vagueness in the steering that appears when tires get to temperature but that will reduce tramlining even more. With the above alignment and the FP springs I like 31F/30R or 32F/31R. Going with 2psi delta also works fine for me.

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
If you change the springs to Ford Performance on a GT 350 do u still use the regular factory alignment settings?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I am now using a setup closer to GT350R settings (-2.5 camber, 0.06 toe in FRONT, -1.5 camber, 0.30 toe in REAR). This will require a way to get that camber up front. For now I am using BMR camber bolts.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Ok thanks, that shouldn’t be a problem have Vorshlag camber plates up front and will be adding the Steeda rear camber and toe links when I change the springs, in addition to some other Steeda stuff, from there it will go to the alignment shop.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
DO NOT set your alignment on a garage floor. As youve seen they are not flat and vary greatly. That's why pro teams use adjustable scales and they spend a lot of time making sure the scales are level.
Sponsored