Alignment conversion help.

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just had the car aligned after getting some suspension components installed. The readout is in inches and I have no clue how to convert it to degrees, everything seems to be within spec though. My main concern is the camber settings. I was over -2 before so I want to kinda compare where the car is now. Before the alignment the car was very squirly and fought me every inch of the way, was a bit scary at highway speeds sometime. Now she handles normal as before, the whole point was to correct the negative camber which was slowly eating my tires. This was done using the stock 18" wheels and 235/50 tires, so overall wheel height is 27.3". Thanks in advance for any help :cheers:

Pic:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You had static toe-out on both front tires before, and that would have been a significant cause for twitchiness. Combined with your front cambers (which were both within the factory range, though out toward the high negative end).

You had a huge amount of cross-camber on the rear, positive on one side and significantly negative but within the factory range on the other. That would tend to thrust the rear of the car sideways (toward the left) when the rear suspension compresses. The rear also had static toe-out on both tires, which is not a stable situation either.

I don't see -2° anywhere.

To convert inches of toe to degrees, divide the toe reading by the tire diameter and take the arcsin of the result. For a 27.3" tall tire, 1/16" is about 0.13°. The sign convention for toe is "positive toe numbers = toe in, negative toe numbers = toe out".

Norm

OP
OP
magnetic5oh

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You had static toe-out on both front tires before, and that would have been a significant cause for twitchiness. Combined with your front cambers (which were both within the factory range, though out toward the high negative end).

You had a huge amount of cross-camber on the rear, positive on one side and significantly negative but within the factory range on the other. That would tend to thrust the rear of the car sideways (toward the left) when the rear suspension compresses. The rear also had static toe-out on both tires, which is not a stable situation either.

I don't see -2° anywhere.

To convert inches of toe to degrees, divide the toe reading by the tire diameter and take the arcsin of the result. For a 27.3" tall tire, 1/16" is about 0.13°. The sign convention for toe is "positive toe numbers = toe in, negative toe numbers = toe out".

Norm
Thank you for the explanation. The -2 was there before I installed camber bolts and rear camber arms to correct the excessive negative camber. Those parts then gave me the above "before" readings until I was able to get it aligned today.

OP
OP
magnetic5oh

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Any one know how to converted the camber angles to degrees? My google and math skills have failed me :(
Sponsored